Elmo ST 1200 projector repairs

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jaxshooter

Elmo ST 1200 projector repairs

Post by jaxshooter »

I have just come into possession of an Elmo ST 1200 projector.It has a speed issue and loop holding issue.It won't thread automatically without bunching up somewhere in the machine,usually right after it clears the first sprocket.Manual threading gives a jumpy picture that attempts to make a second set of perf holes.

I've never owned one of these projectors so I don't know what the motor is supposed to sound like,but this one is LOUD and the speed is not constant.

Any suggestions here are welcome.
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

Have you been to http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/ ?

That is a forum for ppl collecting S8 film. Features and shorts, cartoons and whatnot.

The thing is, they are VERY knowledgeable when it comes to the projection technology part of Super8. The No.1 projector among the S8 film collectors is the GS1200 and the Beaulieu 708EL and Elmo ST1200 are following close behind. In that forum you will find guys able to tell you even without looking at your machine what the problem is, and how to fix it. I had a similar experience with my GS1200.

That is, if noone here knows.

Good luck.

Mikael

[/i]
Rollef

Post by Rollef »

Yes go to film.tech forum. and search the archives or ask a question.

About the sound part. My GS800 is quite loud, but it is very important to have the right loop. also the sound is less if the film is lubricated and new. When mine is to loud i use the loop restore lever and that always seems to work a bit. Yours will probably be better when it is ok agai, but not as silent as a Bauer f.ex
Mitch Perkins

Re: Elmo ST 1200 projector repairs

Post by Mitch Perkins »

jaxshooter wrote:I have just come into possession of an Elmo ST 1200 projector.It has a speed issue and loop holding issue.It won't thread automatically without bunching up somewhere in the machine,usually right after it clears the first sprocket.Manual threading gives a jumpy picture that attempts to make a second set of perf holes.
When does it start bunching up - auto-thread is usually disengaged by pressure/pull from take-up reel - look for the switch, a sprung roller.

Look for the obvious around trouble spot. Gate entrance obstruction? Swing lens out and back to check pressure-plate seating
Elmo sprocket teeth are on a separate ring, must be tight on the wheel [center screw].

Back comes off easy > disconnect power cord < - check belt seating, excessive dust on electrical stuff.
I once fixed the GS1200 by very lightly touching some random resistors and capacitors...it could be a lot of things...sometimes just removing the back changes the chassis dynamics and it works - look for evidence of a direct hit to the projector resulting in grounding issues.

CSI, man! Post results of the investigation...

Mitch
jaxshooter

Post by jaxshooter »

My engineer friend here at the TV station I work for has the projector now.He concurs about the pressure issue.
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

I would suspect that the claw is not adjusted properly. Sounds just like the claw does not fully retract from the film perf before it moves up to take another pull down or the claw doesn't cleanly engage the perf when starting the pull down cycle.

David M. Leugers
Billbot

Post by Billbot »

Does the film run very chattery-like? Have you tried film lubrication ?

Dry film, or film cleaned with the wrong kind of cleaner can cause chatter.
.B.I.L.L.B.O.T.
jaxshooter

Post by jaxshooter »

Yes,I did the lubrication.This projector sat in a closet for years without being used,so I'm sure there are some parts that need lube.
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario