beaulieu's stock filter woes.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

anitasanger

beaulieu's stock filter woes.

Post by anitasanger »

okay, i have read through the archives and read all about the stock filters. here is what i;ve gathered:

1. the stock filters should most likely be ruined by now. discoloured, bubbles, dirty, etc.

2. i could remove the filters, but in accordance to bjorn's expert advice, will cause focusing issues and call for re-caliberation of the lens.

3. some say that it won't affect the lens that bad, but others have said that the difference was major and prohibited the macro focus from working correctly at all.

4. optimumly, i would send my rig to bjorn for a complete overhaul, however it is nowhere financially feasible at this time.

okay, since i just got the camera, i haven;t even got a chance to use it yet. i hate to run a cart through it not knowing if the old filters are toast. it would be a shame to get my first cart of s8 back looking like garbage due to old, old filters. so... before shooting anytthing, i was wondering if the stock filters can be attained anywhere? what i would like to do is carefully remove the stock filters and replace them with the exact ones, only new. that way, i would have clean filters, no lens calibration issues and get a true feel for how this camera was made to shoot film. whatta you think? i will have a full servicing sometime in the future, but i want to at least get started now. where can i get the filters? any of you had luck doing this yourself? thanks a bunch guys, you are all very, very helpful!

luke black
"when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -hst.
Billbot

Post by Billbot »

Why don't you just keep the filter key in and get a threaded filter for the lens you are using?

On my 4008 and 5008, I've never seen any problems with the internal filters, and they have never been replaced, although both have had an overhaul in their past.
.B.I.L.L.B.O.T.
anitasanger

Post by anitasanger »

okay, just so i understand, if i have a filterkey in, both of the filters are DISabled? if so, this is great and eliminates my problem. but i never got a key with my camera. can anything else be used to do so?
Billbot

Post by Billbot »

anitasanger wrote:okay, just so i understand, if i have a filterkey in, both of the filters are DISabled? if so, this is great and eliminates my problem. but i never got a key with my camera. can anything else be used to do so?
Hi.
Both filters? I didn't know there was anything in there besides a daylight filter. What else is in there?

The key is a flat piece of metal that is inserted in the top of the grip handle. If you don't have one, I guess you could make one, find one on ebay, or buy one from my friend Irving Higdon. http://www.ijmincorporated.com

Good Luck!
.B.I.L.L.B.O.T.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

One of the filters is ALWAYS in place. Inserting the filter key simply moves one out of the way and the other into place. Gelatin filter material is generally available (you'd need to match the thickess of the original), but unless you're confident you can disassemble the camera, replace the old gels, and get the camera back together without damaging anything, it's probably not a DIY project.

I've replaced a missing key with a carefully machined piece of hardwood, and it's functionally as good as the original key.
filmbuff

Post by filmbuff »

anitasanger wrote:okay, just so i understand, if i have a filterkey in, both of the filters are DISabled?
Nope, either the daylight filter is in place or the clear filter. Putting the filter key in puts the clear filter in place.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

Both filters? I didn't know there was anything in there besides a daylight filter. What else is in there?
There's a clear filter and a #85.
Last edited by sciolist on Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
anitasanger

Post by anitasanger »

oh crumbs, so much for that idea. hmmm. whatever shall i do? what are the odds of these filters being in okay condition? is it common for all the old cameras filters to be shot? i havent even figured out how to remove the lens on this mug yet. does the trigger have to be removed to get the lens off? complex little mothers these beaulieus!
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

The trigger unscrews and then the lens can be unscrewed.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Interesting how there is so much discussion about the deterioration of internal filters of Beaulieu super 8 cameras considering that the majority of super 8 cameras use similar internal filters of their own (probably gelatin) and very few problems with wear are associated with them. At least Ive never had a problem with the internal filters in my Canons or Eumig Nautica degrading my footage. Or are the internal filters of most super 8 cameras more durable than those found in Beaulieu super 8 cameras? I would have assumed that they would have been just as fragile.
anitasanger

Post by anitasanger »

perhaps you are right. maybe it's all hype and fluff. maybe the ones that had bad ones were stored in extreme tempartures and perhaps abused in some form. i've never even seen pictures of a "bad filter." anyone have any examples?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Pull them!!!

Get those out of there. They are a waste of time and what people say about them throwing off the lens may or may not be true.

I had mine removed by a tech and it was the best thing I ever did.

Get rid of them.

Good Luck
anitasanger

Post by anitasanger »

yeah, i am battling whether or not i should do it! i hate the idea of having footage not as sharp as it could be due to a deteriorating filter! is it feasible to do on ones own without totally messing something up? i'm torn.

my options are:

a. keep filter as is and accept the possibility of having sub-par footage

2. try and get them out myself possibly risking focusing issues

d. just to shoot as is and wait until i can afford to have a tech asess it properly. no telling how long this could be.

the thing is, i'm dying to get some fall footage, thanksgiving, christmas, yada yada.

i just wanna start shooting karts!! yowza.
aj

Post by aj »

You are making things too difficult.

Just get something for powersupply and start filming. There are so many things to get right that the 'invented' filter and collimation problem is the least of your worries. Get a recelled holder or wire a racingpack or something with 6 cells as described by others.

Do not spend $400-$500 on refurbishing or such of a $100 camera until proven that you need that.

To test the lens and focus shoot,from a tripod, something with sharp lines at infinity at full aperture and judge the processed images.

Should you insist on the filters:

At your own risk :!:

Taking out the filters does NOT influence focusing. Gel filters are known to be neutral. It is their optical attribute.

You can inspect the filters when you take off the lens, rotate the shutter till it is open (using the sync-axis and a large blade screwdriver) and hold a light in the filmcompartment and look at the filter from the outside. If they are not visibly dusted, fogged or whatever leave them in for a while. Otherwise use the Baumgarten instructions.
Kind regards,

André
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

Removal of the filters DOES affect focus, albeit slightly. See this thread:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004 ... opic=18261