Modifying viewer editors

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Freya

Modifying viewer editors

Post by Freya »

I've just had a bulb go in a viewer editor I was using. I need to finish the project I'm doing so I've been trying hard to get a new bulb.

So far the only place I have found is 7 day shop and it is £4 for the bulb and £4 for shipping! Can anyone else recommend anywhere in the u.k.?

I was also wondering about the possibility of modifying a viewer editor to use super bright leds or something, even better to go further and create a battery powered viewer editor! Has anybody tried anything like this?

love

Freya
charles8

Post by charles8 »

Most viewers use a small round bulb, however it is better to upgrade to halogen, a small adapter is made and I think sold by wittner.
[url]http://www.wittner-kinotechnik.de:Katalog[/url]
Freya

Post by Freya »

Are you using a halogen lamp Charles?

I couldn't find mention of an adaptor on the wittner site tho I notice that they do sell a 6volt 10watt halogen lamp.

The halogen lamps don't run hotter than the normal bulbs then?

love

Freya
charles8

Post by charles8 »

I have done, the halogen bulb is inserted into the base of a normal editor bulb.Image
tim

Post by tim »

As has been mentioned many times on this forum, the standard 6V, 10 W editor lamp can be purchased from most shops specializing in motor cycle spares for about £0.70 or 1 Euro.
Freya

Post by Freya »

tim wrote:As has been mentioned many times on this forum, the standard 6V, 10 W editor lamp can be purchased from most shops specializing in motor cycle spares for about £0.70 or 1 Euro.
I've never seen it mentioned before, I will have to trawl the archives, but if so then that will be very funny as there is a motorcycle type shop right around the corner and I spent most of yesterday at shops in the city centre like maplin and jessops etc who couldn't help! :)

Thanks for the great tip! :)

love

Freya
Rob

Post by Rob »

charles8 wrote:I have done, the halogen bulb is inserted into the base of a normal editor bulb.Image
How did you connect the halogen bulb's pins to the contacts inside the normal bulb's base? There doesn't seem much room to work inside the base.

Rob
Guy Bennett

Post by Guy Bennett »

Freya,

Try Blue Audio Visual in London. They have a variety of bulbs and may well have the one you're looking for.

FWIW the Echo Park Film Center has the 6v10w viewer bulbs, but they're located in Los Angeles (they will ship them, I believe). And Super 8 Bauer Nizoin France has the halogen viewer bulb.