Blagging Fuji film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

PHILIE-T

Blagging Fuji film

Post by PHILIE-T »

right, i called Fuji film the other day and if your a student they charge
£15 including VAT for a 100 roll.
If your not then tey charge £20.. Kodak for a similar stock charge about £25 including VAT.. so obviously Fuji is the one to go for..

anyone know how u can get it at student rates? i need to know a student with a CARD?? anyone help me out??

Anyone know a good blag?
freddiesykes

Post by freddiesykes »

I understand your feelings, but blagging might ruin it for the people who actually are in school. Do what you have to do.
John_Pytlak

Student Discounts

Post by John_Pytlak »

You could actually go to filmmaking school and be a real film student. :wink:

http://www.kodak.com/go/student

Student discounts are meant to help student filmmakers who on a career path to being professional filmmakers.
John Pytlak
EI Customer Technical Services
Research Lab, Building 69
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-1922 USA
Guy Bennett

Re: Student Discounts

Post by Guy Bennett »

John_Pytlak wrote:You could actually go to filmmaking school and be a real film student. :wink:
Now there's a radical thought: why not be honest?
BK

Post by BK »

Reminds me when I was a "poor" film student I used to get short ends from the local TV stations...and one sympathetic cameraman gave me a fresh 400 feet can of 16mm 7240 VNF in a brown sandwich paper bag and told me to hush-hush...those were the days.

Bill
PHILIE-T

Post by PHILIE-T »

freddiesykes wrote:I understand your feelings, but blagging might ruin it for the people who actually are in school. Do what you have to do.
O yeah like Fuji Film are gonna shit themselves about me trying to get a couple of rolls of film on the sly.

Isn't everyone a film student? Just because i dont enroll at a university that charges 30,000 a year. Why cant they sort me out some cheap film. Im making a film out of my own pocket. Why dont they have a cheap rate for people like me.. i dunno what you call it? like First timer bracket or something.

£25 pounds a roll is about $48 ..thats for 100 ft.. its a DISGRACE I TELL YOU!
John_Pytlak

Post by John_Pytlak »

PHILIE-T wrote:
freddiesykes wrote:I understand your feelings, but blagging might ruin it for the people who actually are in school. Do what you have to do.
O yeah like Fuji Film are gonna shit themselves about me trying to get a couple of rolls of film on the sly.

Isn't everyone a film student? Just because i dont enroll at a university that charges 30,000 a year. Why cant they sort me out some cheap film. Im making a film out of my own pocket. Why dont they have a cheap rate for people like me.. i dunno what you call it? like First timer bracket or something.

£25 pounds a roll is about $48 ..thats for 100 ft.. its a DISGRACE I TELL YOU!
Filmmakers working on a tight budget often buy "short ends", "recans" or outdated film from resellers. You take a bit of risk, but can save.
John Pytlak
Eastman Kodak Company
morales72

Post by morales72 »

I couldn't agree more with you Phillie-T in your last post. It's funny, cause the same people who's trying to sell us this "word of the expensive" are the same (former) "peace and love" hippies from the sixties.

Mr. Pytlak, I always follow your answers to the posts, giving the right sentence all the time, in a nice way. But here, I found your affirmation:
You could actually go to filmmaking school and be a real film student.
quite insultive and racist, specially for film lovers like me everywhere around the world who put money from their pockets to get their films done. This is not about "bitching about Kodak" kind of post, please.

Thanks,

Dr. Fernando Morales
Buenos Aires
Argentina
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Many of us are students of film without going to a film school ;) It seems like it would be more equitable for Kodak to extend their discount to amateur filmmakers in general - amateur defined as not working for a profit-motivated endeavor.
Mogzy

Post by Mogzy »

morales72 wrote: Mr. Pytlak, I always follow your answers to the posts, giving the right sentence all the time, in a nice way. But here, I found your affirmation:
You could actually go to filmmaking school and be a real film student.
quite insultive and racist,
Playing the race card is something which is done far too much. It doesn't wash anymore. You think accusing someone of being a racist on the basis of a statement which has NOTHING to do with race is clever because it sticks.

Accusing someone of being a racist when they are not- that IS offensive and insulting!
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Chalk it up to a possible English mistake instead of a willful attempt to 'play the race card'?
Mogzy

Post by Mogzy »

Evan Kubota wrote:Many of us are students of film without going to a film school ;) It seems like it would be more equitable for Kodak to extend their discount to amateur filmmakers in general - amateur defined as not working for a profit-motivated endeavor.
I agree, though we must remember that Kodak are already being equitable by keeping the Super 8 format alive.

I would estimate that the Vision 2 stocks and maybe Plus-X and Tri-X pay off as they are used extensively in television and advertising, but releasing a new colour reversal film in Super 8 is probably being done "out of the goodness of their hearts". (Just a pity it isn't Ektachrome 100D instead of 64T :wink:
Mogzy

Post by Mogzy »

Evan Kubota wrote:Chalk it up to a possible English mistake instead of a willful attempt to 'play the race card'?
I take your point, though where I come from accusing someone of being "racist" seems to be used as a catch-all insult, often used with no logical basis whatsoever to silence people who disagree with one's point of view when there is no race/ethinicity/national issue even being discussed.
morales72

Post by morales72 »

Mogzy, would you like "discrimination" word better? I insist, it isn't about Kodak. It's an observation over Mr. Pytlak's affirmation, quite surprising for me coming from a centered person like him.
John_Pytlak

Student Discounts

Post by John_Pytlak »

I thought that I was clear in stating a policy that is fair, in response to a person looking for a discount they admitted they did not qualify for.
Student discounts are meant to help student filmmakers who on a career path to being professional filmmakers.
There are film schools worldwide.
Last edited by John_Pytlak on Thu May 04, 2006 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Pytlak
Eastman Kodak Company