Projector bulb upgrade

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

EtiN

Projector bulb upgrade

Post by EtiN »

Hello,

I'm currently using a sankyo 502 projector. It has a 50w light bulb with a 12v tension. I purchased a new lens for it (f/1.0), and I'd like to know if it is possible to upgrade it with a more powerful light source (100w or more). Has someone ever tried, any help would of course be greatly appreciated.

EtiN
Wild, cool and swingin'
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

I'm currently renovating one of four Strong Super Trouper arc lamp spotlights - remember the Abba song? "Tonight the Super Trouper lights are gonna blind me..." The 115V 15A power supply is built into the base of the fixture, and the lamp elements are two, copper coated 1/4" carbon rods that you bring together to "strike", then separate to a 1/4" distance for operation. Talk about old school - and bright! You clean the main reflector with a steel wool pad, to scrape the carbon cinders off. I think the last time these puppies were used were for old Blue Eyes himself, as demonstrated in the previous poster's picture.
Robert Hughes
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

If the projector is designed for a 50W bulb then thats all you can use. A 100W bulb would severely overload the transformer causing it to overheat and fail probably, and the output voltage would drop so the bulb would be no brighter anyway. You would have to fit a seperate transformer/PSU to power the bulb but then you'd have to think about the cooling issues too...
Sorry,
Mark
tim

Post by tim »

In principle, you can have as much light as you like - if you can manage the engineering.

Using a different, higher-power halogen lamp will require a special, external, power supply. In addition, you will have to get made, or machine for yourself, the necessary accurate, stable lamp mounting.

The ultimate is to use a high-pressure arc lamp, this will require all the modifications described, plus (probably) a new lamp housing.

Cooling will be an issue, depending on the ambient temperature. If you live in a cool part of the world, increasing power by, say, 50%, won't be a problem. Larger increases will require careful measurement and addition of an extra fan and/or a heat filter.

I've increased the lamp power of a Eumig 802 from 100 to 150 W (an EJM lamp). The additional power supply is built into a plinth that the projector stands on. I've had no heat problems, even during a long show.