EMJ Gone??

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Nigel

EMJ Gone??

Post by Nigel »

Well, we know he isn't dead since he seems to be selling off all of the film gear he aquired during his brief forray into film...

http://cgi.ebay.com/KINOPTIK-5-7mm-f1-8 ... dZViewItem

It was a steal.

Good Luck
etimh

Post by etimh »

What's the story on this guy? I've read a lot of his old posts doing searches here. Was he really active at one point and then did he just disappear? Who is he and what's he all about?

Tim
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

been wondering too. he seemed still into those pretty heavy film transferstuff by his last post: Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:25 pm
1024x768 K40 frames

his previous server is out:
www.earthid.org/photoalbum/

as well as latest server seems out:
google=ericjarvies.com

and seemingly his wife is running the cabo buzz?
http://www.pueblo-viejo.com/contact.htm
http://www.pueblo-viejo.com/MainFrame.htm

didnt someone from this board visit the guy in cabo? cranium?
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Here is the bio for EMJ that I built in my head...Afterall we all make up things about people we know in one very small way but may never meet or actually understand.

In brief:

EMJ came from New Mexico where his parents were fairly well off. As an adult he still lives off the money they gave him in Cabo San Lucas Mexico.

He likes to take up hobbies.

When he takes up a new hobby he goes all out and devotes everything he has to it.

He never actually made any movies.

He likes to take things apart.

He likes to test movie gear.

Now he divesting himself of an old hobby to fund the new one.

That is what he is to me...Or at least that is the story I made up for him. He seemed like he was the kid that had the big box of 64 crayons but never could draw.

Hopefully he will correct me. We know he has the ability to write posts that are way to long and yet seem to say what you could in a quarter of the words.

Good Luck
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

Nigel wrote:Here is the bio for EMJ that I built in my head...
I dont know. I think he was looking for a place to belong. Probably his entire life he alienated people around him. I think he was the one guy who promised to participate in the 2003 time lapse project, Pulse of Life, that didnt actually send any film in. I quit paying any attention to him after that.
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

he was definitely a character. Roger certainly had some nice long discussions with him. :wink:

Like "M'Lord" and "Alex." It would be interesting, actually to see the three of them in the same room together. Maybe throw "Cal Godot" into the mix as well. I wonder which one would come out alive?
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

tim, i think this was ejms (java-mans) first post on this forum (as a guest) and they just went longer, go figure. you can sort all his posts ole->new for reference.

i think his posts / topics he participated in would make a veeeerrryyy long and actually interesting book. i think he deleted the one post where he wanted to sue a few members for $20 mill or so? mattias? moviestuff?

anyhways, here it is....

Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:00 am

I will fund the production of a super8 camera comparative ..
Anonymous wrote:hello members (and guests),

i am new to super8 film. although i have used still photography and digital video/still for over 20 years, i am just now being introduced to super8. that said, i would like to comment about a post made by a 'guest' in another thread that was dealing with the promotion/death of super8 film stock. i noticed some members/guests took offense, and rightly so, but the guest that posted that was not without valid reason. all of the sites that exist, even this one, which i consider amongst the best super8 sites, do not offer EASY comparatives that visually demonstrate the super8 format against the other commonly used formats. not to mention the differances between the cameras in the super8 format itself(beaulieu or braun? canon or bauer?). so, to solve this problem, ad to help me with my first film project, i am willing to do the following:

i will pay for the entire production of a super8 camera comparative. the basis of this comparative would be to establish the top models of the top 10 super8 cameras being used/bought/sold in today's market. upon figuring out what these are, and in what order they fall into in terms of user base, used market turnover, and resale pricing, i will need to purchase two of each(one for actual filming, and one that will be filmed). this is where you, the members can contribute. naturally, after the filming is completed, i will not require these cameras, so instead of me purchasing them and having to resell them, i would like to ask the members to loan them to me against fair market value, based on current ebay item sales for the same type. if the owner of this site would be willing, i could transfer funds into his paypal account, sort of like an escrow, and the camera owner could ship the camera, fully insured, at my expense, for use on the project, to the owner of this site for inspection. upon inspection, the owner of this site could send the camera to me, again, at my expense. once i am finished using the camera, it would be returned to the owner of this site, inspected, and returned to the owner. if damage occurs to the camera, then i own the camera and the person who provided the camera gets his/her money from the owner of this site who is holding my money in escrow(i use the owner of this site as an example, as i do not personally know him/her, and further do not know if this would be up his/her alley).

naturally, the production would give film credit to the person who provided the camera for use. and i would have to say only cameras in prestine condition would be used ... fully operatable with clean glass, smooth running mechanics, and so on.

the final product would be a DVD, and perhaps a small amount of VHS.

the basis of the production would be something like this:
-each of the 10 cameras would shoot exactly 1/10 of the production.
-the production would be a complete examination of the super8 format ... from selecting your camera to editing the final footage.
-each cameraand all of the scenes shot by each one of the ten cameras would be subject to the EXACT same conditions as the others. which is to say lighting, filtering, filmstock, lens attachments, etc. would be the same. in the case of cameras that allow other the use of c-mount lenses, those cameras will explore a range of lets say ... 10 differant lens types(wide angle nikkor 8mm to 250mm yvar telephoto, and all the promes inbetween). all the other cameras that do not have changable lenses will use attachments of various sorts that work with all the others .. so i wil assume we will need step up/down rings and other misc. attachments for matteboxes and filters. we will shoot tripod, over the shoulder, steeadycam(or a like type image stabilizer), jib, dolly, and ??.
-each carterage(s) from each of the 10 cameras will use the exact same type of film, and we will use all of the kodak/fuji stocks, and all of the super8sound.com stocks. all of these will be processed in the exact same way.
-all of the processed film will be telecined in all the popular ways .. from consumer do-it-yourself(projected image into a video camera) to the prosumer telecine machines, to the high end rank transfer telecine with color correection.
-all of the telecined footage will be transferred to tape ... digibeta ... dv ... vhs(or whatever the popular formats are). naturally, all of these formats will be evidenced on the final film itself.
-all of the popular tape formats will then be captured/digested to the hard drive using the top capturing methods, be they consumer video transfer cards, or prosumer dv capture cards/breakout boxes, or high end serial digital interface capture cards. naturally, the end result of each of these methods will be evidenced on the final footage, made part of the film itself.
-sound recording will be done by the cheapest possible method up to the industry standard method, and again .. the final cut will audibly demonstate the quality of each one respectively.
-the actual editing software ... we will stick to using only one ... which is to say we will use programs like final cut, soundforge, photoshop, and the other. mainly used, most popular software applications that are within financial reach of most people ... unless most of you feel we should show other nle systems ranging from the down and dirty to the super elite ... these and all the other things can be decided upon in this forum.
-the final cut will be written to digibeta, dvd and vhs. the digibeta tape will be transferred to film ... super8, projector ready film ... ready for viewing on your favorite project. naturally, the latter will be for those of us who partake in the project, and we can no doubt make copies at the expense of those who want them.

correct me if i am wrong about anything have written ... this was on the fly, and not edited ... obviously. also, i personally have no experiense with any of the processes i have just written, but because there is not an existing vhs tape or dvd that could answer all of these questions for me, i have decided to make it myself. so let the journey begin.

so, i will take care of purchasing all the sound equipment, and the desktop editing software and hardware(except for the high-end stuff, in which case i will pay for offline editing). i will pay for the film processing, and everything else.

what i would like NOT to pay for is the various home made telecine transferring systems ... i would prefer to send the applicable film and have the person who knows and has this equipment do it themselves and send the transfer back to me. additionally, i will need help ... sound person, camera person, 2nd camera person, and any other required on the set production person(s) like makeup and lighting. i will pay for airline tickets round trip to and from cabo san lucas, as well as accomodations. i will not pay any salary ... i will provide 3 square meals a day and plenty of liquids. all people that work on the project receive film credits. i will maintain ownership of the rights to the film, which include reproduction and distribution. however, for those who contribute, they will receive 5 copies of each the dvd and vhs. also, i would be willing to let this site sell the dvd's, and use half or the profits for maintaining the site and helping other film makers in whatever way this site and it's owners see fit. if any of the members have access to certain things this production needs, and can allow us to use the equipment(avid, digibeta, telecine, whatever), we will make certain the film highlights the respective business in exchange for their donated servces. shameless self marketing in a tasteful, and already required fashion. any members that can help put this project togeter, like a good producer, assistant producer, please ... join on in. in fact, anyone and everyone should involve themselves and be a part of this production. if you all are serious about super8, then do something that can GET NEW PEOPLE INVOLVED without havng to jump through loops to figure things out ... and without having to spend more then the price of the DVD to LEARN EVERYTHING there is that is part of super8 film making. lets deliver a simple ad visually accurate message about super8.

oh, i forgot to mention one thing ... what i think we should also do is shoot using a vhs, super vhs, hi-8 recorder, mini-dv, dv, beta, digibeta, etc. if we could shoot the exact same scenes with each fo these VIDEO formats that match the exact same scene as the best super8 footage/camera we end up with, then the dvd would have a direct comparison to the video formats ... and at that point, people can decide if it is worth it or not. and if it is worth it ... then a super8 market can grow. if it is not worth it, then the people at this forum will continue ot use it as long as it is available. correct? either way, wouldn't you like to know for certain?

ok ... let me hear from people who are interested ... i am not the best person to manage this production ... so we need to get that postion filled. who wants to be responsible for production management?

are the owners of this site willing to create an online production slate that will allow us the ability to work with one another from our respective locations/countries? and by the way for whoever takes care of the code for this site, my name is eric jarvies, and at one point in the internet lifespan i had the most visited site in the world .. javascripts.com, which had the largest membership of any site for over 2 years ... registered members. we helped launch/promote/offer initial downloads to our membership of ICQ, and literally put allair's(now macromedia) cold fusion(cfm) and was the first company to bring their server application product to its knees. this was in the early/mid 90's. so, the point? i think if you take the initiative and educate your membership ... NEW membership correctly the MOMENT they walk in the door, you will benefit from this in all ways. really.
and more importantly, people like myself will benefit from it. so thanks for allowing me the oppertunity to post in your threads, and i truly hope the current membership can pull together this project and complete it within ... lets say a month? i am figuring on spending no more then 10k ... and this includes the purchases of all the equipment as well as the escrowed money should that end up happening. if indeed i have to actually purchase all of these cameras, then after reselling them i would hope to cut my investment by 1/2. but a good project manager will be able to tell for certain ... so who the proejct manager will be is still the question ... any takers?
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
mattias

Post by mattias »

Nigel wrote:EMJ came from New Mexico where his parents were fairly well off. As an adult he still lives off the money they gave him in Cabo San Lucas Mexico.
actually he was a rather successful internet entrepreneur. i think he developed a set of plugins for cold fusion or asp and then ran a comunity site for programmers. perhaps that was also a hobby financed by his parents, but that was never my impression. i come from a similar background and i remember his company, although my small internet fortune "only" gave me a couple of years off but it was enough to get me started in film. :-)

/matt
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

actually i think he mentioned that he sold his web buzz for or ended up with $20 mil which he partly reinvests in Cabo?
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

EMJ: "...although i have used still photography and digital video/still for over 20 years, i am just now being introduced to super8."

This surprises me since he had trouble grasping some basic photographic principles related to exposure.
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

not neccessarily:

VideoFred

Post by VideoFred »

When I joined here, about two years ago, Eric was very active writing long 'epistels' . He was getting attention with these long postings...
My first impression was: an older, expiered man.

But then he posted his picture:
http://www.filmshooting.com/scripts/gal ... ool?full=1

He's much younger then I tought.
He has very good ideas, but I have never seen one single frame from him....

Fred.
my website:
http://www.super-8.be

about film transfering:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_k0IKckACujwT_fZHN6jlg
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

I have to say, I like EMJ. A lot. He did things few of us has until recently. Like having the guts to open up the 4008 and checking it out by yourself...

A then giving it a paintjob!!? haha! I love this guy!

He did the same thing with the 7008. Even posted pictures of the process on his earthid site.. I was so neat! That´s what got me over the friction bump.
Since then i´ve started to rebuild, create and improve things wherever possible.
He triggered my creative side, for that i´m thankful.

I always get this kind of robert rodriguez or whatever vibe when i see those pics ... he looks like an up and coming independent director...
Mikael

Re: EMJ Gone??

Post by Mikael »

Nigel wrote:Well, we know he isn't dead since he seems to be selling off all of the film gear he aquired during his brief forray into film...

http://cgi.ebay.com/KINOPTIK-5-7mm-f1-8 ... dZViewItem

It was a steal.

Good Luck
Well actually i looks like he is selling boat gear and buying and building a home movie theater ...
aj

Post by aj »

Mikael wrote:I have to say, I like EMJ. A lot. He did things few of us has until recently. Like having the guts to open up the 4008 and checking it out by yourself...

A then giving it a paintjob!!? haha! I love this guy!
See if you love this guy when you get one of his Beaulieuxes which he said to have soaked in WD-40 to lube them. I wonder if these still run after two years. Or two weeks.

I wouldn't even use it on my bicycle bearings or chain.

And didn't he start opening the 4008 by just pulling off the groundglass knob? Instead of undoing the little locking screw.
Kind regards,

André