Dual 8 Projector recommendations please

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Deke

Dual 8 Projector recommendations please

Post by Deke »

Hello All,

I was wondering if someone could help in recommending a projector. I have about 150 family films that I recently transferred (MovieStuff DV8 Sniper), but I would like to have a projector to watch these films once in a while. There are so many on eBay, I have no idea which I should even think about.

Of my 150 films, about 80% are regular 8. Are dual projectors more or less reliable/prone to break down then a dedicated 8 or super 8? Which brands should I seek out or avoid? If I can get off cheap (under $50?) I guess that is fine, but not if I end up with something that will either be a problem or chew up my films. What about lamps - are many still available and if so, how much do they cost.

While I am at it, what about projection screens?

Thanks in advance!
tim

Post by tim »

For silent, the Eumig 500 and 600 series projectors are very good and reliable. They all use readily available lamps. You should be able to pick one up on Ebay just about in your price range.

For sound, the 800 series are difficult to beat. Lamps also readily available. These usually go for $100 - $200 on Ebay.

There are a lot of screens about, but I don't know where you'd find them in the USA. They do show up on Ebay cheaply, but shipping is more expensive. A 4' wide screen would be fine.

Tim.
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

I recently bought a Bauer T280 multiformat. Quite happy with it, but the sound isn't that great and there's hum from the powersupply affecting the sound quality.

Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Deke

Post by Deke »

Thanks to both of you. Oh, I should have added all my films are silent. Any brands I should avoid at all costs?[/i]
Nitschtskt

projector recomendation

Post by Nitschtskt »

Hello,

If you just want to watch silent films, stick defenitely with a silent projector. Your films will be less touched by the projector (no soundparts etc.).
The previous recomondation of the 500 and 600 series from Eumig is pretty good (my own experience). Forget following brands Bell & Howell, Bauer (Although there are great sound projectors from Bauer), Chinon, Sankyo, Minolta.
My favorite projector in terms of going easy on your films are 1. Elmo SP-F or 2. Elmo K-100SM.

Karsten
Davideo

Post by Davideo »

I use the Magnon silent dual 8 projectors...easy on film. Normally use them for Super 8 playback only. Variable speed. Will not jam.

For regular 8, I prefer the manual load projectors such as Kodak Showmaster.

I've never been fond of autoload dual 8 projectors as many are film choppers and eat film. I'm continually looking for a manual load Super 8 projector myself.
jaxshooter

Post by jaxshooter »

Eumig is the only one I know of that will do dual 8 sound and actually has a sound head for regular 8.Kodak made some Moviedeck sound projectors that played regular 8 silent.

I always preferred the older,manual loading projectors for silent regular 8, I could get to the gate easily for cleaning and such,used my sound projector for super 8.But that's just me.
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

I know you are looking for a dual 8 machine, (Eumig 800 series about the best), but you might want to consider one of the many superb R-8mm silent projectors made by Bolex, B+H, Revere, Eumig etc. They can be had for next to nothing and are tremendous machines which will not harm your precious family films if you keep them clean. That would widen your choices for a S-8mm machine of which there are many also.

David M. Leugers
etimh

Post by etimh »

Check out this place for projection hobbyists:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/

Lots of info and answers about projectors and projecting film.

Tim
Deke

Post by Deke »

Information overload - the good kind! Thanks everyone. Did I make a newby mistake? I thought "dual" meant Super 8 and Regular 8 - is that right?