Srd 8 cameras

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

fireflame productions

Srd 8 cameras

Post by fireflame productions »

hi. If a seller on the internet says that their standard 8mm camera can do speeds of 9- 64. Does that mean that it will have 24fps.
I am wondering because i want to do some sound shooting as easily i did with super 8mm with out pulse sync or anything.
fireflame productions

oh .... does anyone know where you can get colour stock in the uk.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Try Photoworld in Llandudno for film.

Any film speed for a fifty year old mechanical Standard 8 camera is going to be purely nominal. With half a centruy of accumulated gunk inside, you can set it to 24fps but its just as likely to be running at 18........

Rob
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

But you can figure out what the actual camera speed is, if you have an uncut spool of R8 film (or can sacrifice an old unexposed spool). Merely shoot a timed run of 10, 20 or 30 seconds and measure how much film ran through the mechanism. With some cameras, you can judge the film length by counting the rewind revolutions (that's what the B&H Filmo maintenance manual recommends on their cameras.) Adjust your speed dial and try again until you get the timing where you want, then mark the speed dial with a dot or scratch to show where the actual speed is. I've done this on 16mm cameras, and the same technique should work in R8.
Robert Hughes
fireflame productions

hi again. If a camera has a setting of 24fps then will it run at 24fps.
and...... does anyone know anywhere that processes Standard 8mm film?
(Do photoworld do their own processing.)
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

Being vague doesn't help. Telling us what camera probably would. And if a camera has a 24fps setting, does that mean it's actually running at 24fps? How are we to know each and every individual camera? Just but it and some test film and best of luck.
Old Uncle Barry

Post by Old Uncle Barry »

As far as I am aware,Photoworld have a direct link to Germany for processing their 'Cinechrome' 40 film.
Widescreen Centre in London also process R8,particularly Black & White,but do schedule colour processing in their pricelist-again-I think this is a direct German link.
So processing/availability is not an issue.
mathis

Post by mathis »

fireflame productions wrote:hi again. If a camera has a setting of 24fps then will it run at 24fps.
Huh, really? :roll:
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

mathis wrote:
fireflame productions wrote:hi again. If a camera has a setting of 24fps then will it run at 24fps.
Huh, really? :roll:
I believe that was a question. And the answer is - maybe, maybe not. You'll have to check and see if it does (see my former post).
fireflame productions

hi. I don't know what camera to pick.
I have narrowed the choice down to 2 standard 8mm cameras.
1) Zeiss Ikon movikon 8 ( 16, 24, 34, 48fps)
2) Yashica U- matic ( electric drive) (12, 16, 24fps)
which one should i pick. ( I really don't know)

Any advise will help.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Old Uncle Barry wrote:As far as I am aware,Photoworld have a direct link to Germany for processing their 'Cinechrome' 40 film.
Widescreen Centre in London also process R8,particularly Black & White,but do schedule colour processing in their pricelist-again-I think this is a direct German link.
So processing/availability is not an issue.
Cinechrome40 is Kodachrome 40. When its sold 'process paid' in Europe, what actually happens is that you send it back to the place where you bought it, they send it on to Kodak in Switzerland for development then forward it back to you on return. Kodak has not made any announcement about the future of Standard8 processing at Lausanne but there is a great deal of speculation that it will stop along with the end of Super8 processing in September. If so, it remains to be seen whether the shops that sell Cinechrome40 'process paid' will honour this be sending it to Dwaynes in the States instead. The cheapest option for the UK buyer has always been to buy the film from John Schwind without processing and send it to Kodak in Switzerland yourself with a cheque for £7.00 paid to "Kodak Ltd". If and when Kodak does stop K40 development altogether you'll still be able to send the film to Dwaynes instead.

Rob
livio

Post by livio »

I bought cinechrome 40T from john schwindt *without* processing included (as john suggested me), and sent it to lausanne kodak lab with 10 euros cash (as from kodak told me to do) inside the parcel.
They returned me the processed film and (with my big surprise) the 10 euros back, and a note that said that the process was already paid...
fireflame productions

is the yashica U- matic a standard 8mm camera.
Does it need any batteries or is the whole camera worked with the spring mechanism.
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

Not at all. U-Matic is 3/4" video tape, a standard industrial video format back in the 80's.
Robert Hughes
Seppo.T

Post by Seppo.T »

audadvnc wrote:Not at all. U-Matic is 3/4" video tape, a standard industrial video format back in the 80's.
Pardon me, Sir. I have to stick my nose in here. There is a standard-8 Yashica camera named u-matic. There is probably a turret version and a power zoom version. The power zoom version I've held in my hands seemed a decent camera. This one was battery powered but very likely it also needs a px13 or px14 for the CdS light meter. You can manually overrun the meter, though. I do not have the camera and can not say more about it.