Super-8 Cities Collaborative Project

Collaborative film projects
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

jaxshooter wrote: That's one idea I've had, I would love to see some projects like this done on other cities and how they were handled.There are so many other avenues this could take, my biggest task will be to condense it down.
Its great that you are doing the kind of thinking and background research now. It will really show when the reels come back, all that prior thought. I would choose key locations, small examples that bring out something integral to the soul of the city.

My own concept is a little oblique (as always). I narrate a walk with my wife, as she strolls between different places in the city. As the film goes on she starts to get increasingly bored and ends up just siting or walking in circles or stamping on the spot. She is always in long shot and when not in frame I take in different parts of the city in wide angle. My narration talks from my experience of moving to the city, it quietude, lack of its own personality, the way people drive in and drive out with little allegiance to the city. This links in with wider observations about British modernism and small-town life in England.

A truly important film in this kind of urban anthropology is LONDON (1994) - you can watch clips at:

http://www.luxonline.org.uk/work/id/955563/index.html
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

...I'll dig up some more information on the library market.

in the mean time check out:

http://www.jayrosenblattfilms.com/

I'm going to write a storyboard and shoot four rolls with in-camera editing. I think I'd prefer to create intertitles instead of voice over. I'm going to compose a soundscape to accompany the images. They will be recorded on a mono Nagra.

I haven't worked out the details of the content, but I can say that it will be filmed in Seattle and or San Francisco. I can also say that I will be using Henri Lefebvre's "The Production of Space" as a source for ideas. This short will serve as a study for a longer form (but still short) documentary I'm working on.

RE: photo-portraits. I'll send you a super 8 still from some new portraits we just had xfered.

Steve
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

I'd like to participate if possible. I'm only 90 minutes from Jacksonville but the feel here is very different - I'd probably be producing a segment about by far the smallest city (90,000-120,000 people). Major issues here include future development, a large homeless population, and a racial/socioeconomic divide that neatly cleaves the city in half.

I'm thinking of a naturalistic, street level observation of decaying locations from the city's former position as a commercial and transport center in the area. The entire downtown area is in a state of rot and there are train depots, etc that have fallen out of use.

No panning, sure, but what about handheld? Dolly shots?

I'd probably shoot on 3-4 carts of K40.
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

Evan Kubota wrote:No panning, sure, but what about handheld? Dolly shots?
Handheld will by definition always include some panning (although not in its pure form). There is no rule against dolly shots, tilting or even placing the camera on a moving surface, which is part of the fun to work with.

michael
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

sunrise wrote:
Evan Kubota wrote:No panning, sure, but what about handheld? Dolly shots?
Handheld will by definition always include some panning (although not in its pure form). There is no rule against dolly shots, tilting or even placing the camera on a moving surface, which is part of the fun to work with.
Michael you have the right idea. Creativity is spurred by overcoming the rules. To everyone with these kind of questions please just interpret the rules to the letter - if its says something is not banned, then just presume that it is not.
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

Evan Kubota wrote:I'd like to participate if possible. I'm only 90 minutes from Jacksonville but the feel here is very different - I'd probably be producing a segment about by far the smallest city (90,000-120,000 people). Major issues here include future development, a large homeless population, and a racial/socioeconomic divide that neatly cleaves the city in half.

I'm thinking of a naturalistic, street level observation of decaying locations from the city's former position as a commercial and transport center in the area. The entire downtown area is in a state of rot and there are train depots, etc that have fallen out of use.
Id love to have you on board Evan. This is a quick and simple project that should (for filmmakers like ourselves) free us from thinking about the next great idea for a short time. For me I was spurred by problems I was having with the voiceover on my other s8 doc, which I have now decided to try and find a voiceover artist for.

Send me an email when you decide if you want to take part. Just because cities are close together does not mean the films or subjects will necessarily be anything like each other.
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

...I haven't had time to explore the link below, but It looks interesting:

RE: distribution networks for docs

http://www.nationalfilmnetwork.com/

Steve