Super-8 Cities Global Documentary Project

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

npcoombs

Super-8 Cities Global Documentary Project

Post by npcoombs »

I am looking for a collaborator on a project that involves making three 5-10 minute films. This is something of a 'Five Obstructions' type challenge, where by following a set of rules you will contribute one film to the trilogy and work your way around the rules to insert your own voice into the documentary.

The films will be part of a CITY TRILOGY. I will be making a film about Exeter, Claire Griffiths will be making a film about Brighton and we are looking for you to make a film about the city you live in.

The films will mix the history of the city with personal reflections, feelings and tangents about people who come and gone through the city.

The rules are:
1) The film must be shot on colour Super-8 stock, which can be K40, E64T or Vision 200T
2) There must be no use of time-lapse, slow motion or other time distortion. It must be shot all at either 18fps or 25fps.
3) The camera must not be panned or zoomed.
4) No interviews allowed.
5) No gimmicky devices, such as playing on genre styles or providing a late sting to the film.

If you are interested in this fun and challenging collaborative project then please get in touch at:ncoombs@fastmail.co.uk

I will cover all costs for stock, developing and digital transfer should we end up working together.

Please note that this has nothing to do with my production company and is an entirely personal project.

Cheers.
Last edited by npcoombs on Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
thebigidea

Post by thebigidea »

>5) No gimmicky devices

Except for exceedingly gimmicky rules, eh?
mathis

Post by mathis »

I understand the rules, good ones. If you´re interested in a film about Munich, email me.
Mitch Perkins

Re: Collaborator wanted for S8 Documentary

Post by Mitch Perkins »

npcoombs wrote:
If you are interested in this fun and challenging collaborative project then please get in touch at:ncoombs@fastmail.co.uk

Cheers.
I would like to do this.

I added the letter that comes before "q". Let me know if you don't get my email...I spent fourteen and a half hours on it...

Mitch
Freya

Post by Freya »

npcoombs wrote:I am looking for a collaborator on a project that involves making three 5-10 minute films. This is something of a 'Five Obstructions' type challenge, where by following a set of rules you will contribute one film to the trilogy and work your way around the rules to insert your own voice into the documentary.
It reminds me more of dogme 95 than the five obstructions, in the five obstructions the rules were much more extreme.
The films will be part of a CITY TRILOGY. I will be making a film about Exeter, Claire Griffiths will be making a film about Brighton and we are looking for you to make a film about the city you live in.

The films will mix the history of the city with personal reflections, feelings and tangents about people who come and gone through the city.
Sounds neat!
The rules are:
1) The film must be shot on colour Super-8 stock, which can be K40, E64T or Vision 200T
2) There must be no use of time-lapse, slow motion or other time distortion. It must be shot all at either 18fps or 25fps.
Why no 24fps too? Interesting choice!
3) The camera must not be panned or zoomed.
Surely you mean while filming? You aren't saying that only primes can be used etc?
4) No interviews allowed.
5) No gimmicky devices, such as playing on genre styles or providing a late sting to the film.

I will cover all costs for stock, developing and digital transfer should we end up working together.

Please note that this has nothing to do with my production company and is an entirely personal project.

Cheers.
Sounds fun! I would be interested but I too am in England (up't North) and I suspect it would be better for your project if you found someone on the mainland or elsewhere in the world for more of a contrast.

Sounds great tho! I hope you all have lots of fun and make interesting films! :)

love

Freya
Freya

Post by Freya »

Mitch Perkins wrote:
npcoombs wrote:

Cheers.
I would like to do this.

I added the letter that comes before "q". Let me know if you don't get my email...I spent fourteen and a half hours on it...

Mitch
Why didn't you send it to both e-mail addresses??? Then you would know that at least one would make it! I hope you kept a copy of the e-mail!!!

love

Freya
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Freya wrote:
Mitch Perkins wrote:
npcoombs wrote:

Cheers.
I would like to do this.

Mitch
Why didn't you send it to both e-mail addresses???
There are actually three, the first one is missing a letter, which I confirmed by sending it in different configurations between a couple of acct.'s I have until it "lit up". Then I replied. Today, the mailer daemon tells me it did not go thru. (shrug)

The other two are supposedly tied in with np's production co., which he stated was not involved in this particular project.

Freya wrote:Then you would know that at least one would make it! I hope you kept a copy of the e-mail!!!

love

Freya
All 657 pages, yes. ~:?)

Below is the missive in full [minus my home address], as sent last night to npcoombs:

"Love the idea. Rules are nice parameters for visual
coherence.

I'm thinking I would start with beautiful squalor,
work to manifestations of money, (beauty, garishness),
then maybe back to end on squalor, (somehow always
beautiful on film), maybe the squalor was once money -
life cycles of the City itself..."

Mitch
Mogzy

Post by Mogzy »

Sounds fantastic- count me in if you like. I'm experienced in K40 E64T and neg 200T and 500T. I'm also in the North of England.
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

Hi everyone,

I got a lot of replies from the shootingpeople.com post I made to the documentary network. That means if you are interested can you send me an email instead of just posting to this board, as I have coordinated my replies that way.

I have copied the email I sent out to people to the board:

viewtopic.php?t=13263

where we can discuss further if you like.

Many thanks for the enthusiasm. What a breath of fresh air!

Cheers.
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

Mitch Perkins wrote: There are actually three, the first one is missing a letter, which I confirmed by sending it in different configurations between a couple of acct.'s I have until it "lit up". Then I replied. Today, the mailer daemon tells me it did not go thru. (shrug)

The other two are supposedly tied in with np's production co., which he stated was not involved in this particular project.
Hi Mitch, sorry you had so much trouble. I run my company from home so its not really a problem if you send it to that address really. Just send to

info@workhorse.tv

and I'll get it.
Freya

Post by Freya »

Mogzy wrote:Sounds fantastic- count me in if you like. I'm experienced in K40 E64T and neg 200T and 500T. I'm also in the North of England.
Really Mogzy! It's a small world! Never would have guessed that there were so many of us here! :)

[BTW Great Britain and the United Kingdon are not exactly the same thing although there is certainly a movment that would like that to be the case! *pedantic Freya*]

love

Freya
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

npcoombs wrote: Hi Mitch, sorry you had so much trouble. I run my company from home so its not really a problem if you send it to that address really. Just send to

info@workhorse.tv

and I'll get it.
It was more trouble explaining it to Freya. ~:?)

I sent it to the address above, though "it" is just what appears about three posts above this, [plus my home address].

Mitch
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

Embryonic website for the project at:

http://democratfilm.angeltowns.net/super8cities.html

As soon as commitments are made I will put up contributers, bios, links, timelines and aims etc..
jaxshooter

Post by jaxshooter »

What's your deadline?I see it's open to 18 or 25fps,I'm assuming this is due to European video formats.Will you not make an exception for folks on the left side of the pond?
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

I Changed it to 24 or 25fps to make sure you don't feel left out!

No fixed deadline, but if you want to take part, better to let me know as soon as possible.