I´m still here! Looks like I bought a Bray.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Mikael

I´m still here! Looks like I bought a Bray.

Post by Mikael »

I don´t know why. I just had to have it. I got for a really good price.

It´s for STILL film.

It doesn´t do E6. Only C41. The 2-3 bath Rapid version of it at least..

- How similar are C41 and ECN-2 ?

I´m thinking of a way to custom make a film path for super8 and making narrower baths to try have it do E6.. any thoughts ? doable?

All the wash steps are a problem.. this machine isn´t designed to have a continous water flow in several wash baths... there is only one such bath and it doubles as waterjacket around the other baths...

Anyway, i bought it mostly to learn how it is constructed... what i really want is an E-series...

One of you guys has one right ? I seem to recall seeing pictures in the forum a while back.. about the time for the big switch to E64T. :D
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

Snapped them with my cellphone... :oops:
synthnut

Post by synthnut »

Hia,

I have an E6 Bray machine. I've yet to be able to get it up and running as we're in the midst of moving house and I need to install it in the new house's garage with a 32A supply for the water tempering panel and drainage etc...

The thing with these machines in general is that they are VERY SLOW !!! They're designed to do a 36 exp 35mm film or maybe a bulk reel at a push. Thing is that in order to get the required time in the first dev bath on mine it needs to run at 6"/minute so that's 100 minutes for a cart!!! If you can get an extra loop in the baths then you could of course halve that. My thoughts were that I might be able to run several 8mm films in parallel possibly to reduce the pain...

The diferent times in the baths are set by the depth the film reaches into them, so different processes may need a bit of butchery to get them right.

Good luck!

Ben
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

my thoughts exactly. god I would like to see your machine.
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

let´s switch machines. hell I´ll throw in a super8 steenbeck, a 4008 zm4 a 200 ft kodamag, a nikon r10 and some anamorphics!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

Mikael wrote:let´s switch machines. hell I´ll throw in a super8 steenbeck, a 4008 zm4 a 200 ft kodamag, a nikon r10 and some anamorphics!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
can i have the steenbeck? also, send me the e6 bray once you get it.
paulcotto

Re: I´m still here! Looks like I bought a Bray.

Post by paulcotto »

I have the same unit myself. I use powdered chemicals from freestyle film>>

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_prod.p ... 01&pid=709

The only problem is the Remjet backing on the negative film. I wanted to build a separate Remjet stage for the Bray. You would need a plastic welder and PVC sheet to construct it using the same materials as Bray does. I got a cheap welder from Harbor Freight Tools>>

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=41592

Then you need the PVC sheet

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/produc ... %5Fid=9997

You also need a plastic bending headed rod which you get at a hobby supply store.

http://www.abbeon.com/NewFiles/bend.html

I still have not built the Remjet yet but I may do it this summer.

Regards,
Paul Cotto

Mikael wrote:I don´t know why. I just had to have it. I got for a really good price.

[- How similar are C41 and ECN-2 ?

I´m thinking of a way to custom make a film path for super8 and making narrower baths to try have it do E6.. any thoughts ? doable?

All the wash steps are a problem.. this machine isn´t designed to have a continous water flow in several wash baths... there is only one such bath and it doubles as waterjacket around the other baths...

Anyway, i bought it mostly to learn how it is constructed... what i really want is an E-series...

One of you guys has one right ? I seem to recall seeing pictures in the forum a while back.. about the time for the big switch to E64T. :D
Don't worry about equipment so much and make your movie!
adoyle

bray mini lab

Post by adoyle »

if you want to convert to super 8,you could always speak to the guys at bray..
about 4 years ago they built a mini e6 super 8 processor..very small and compact...now that for the short term the future is e6,it might be worth making contact with those guys?
synthnut

Post by synthnut »

Hia,

This is my Bray in its location at Film & Photo's lab before I picked it up:

If the link is broken it means that Tony Scott has got around to up-dating the website, which was last done way back in January '05. I feel he's a man more pre-occupied with the business of processing rather than websites, which is probably good. Had a fascinating time talking to Tony and being shown the lab at the same time.

There's a box load of 100 foot light-safe feeder cassettes and it has the automatic replenishment system in the lovely wooden plinth construction below too. It's all siting in my mother's garage while I find a home for it as it's not the sort of thing you have in the living room.

Spoke to Mr Bray of Bray's who knew all about the machine not supprisingly and they did me a manual for £20.00 or so, not that it really says anything that you can't work out for yourself!!!

Another one of those "good idea" buys my wife gives me a grilling for... :oops: I WILL get it up and running when we move, but obviously the house (which needs quite a lot of work) will have to take first call, then there's the cinema and music studios to build too!!!

Keep shooting the "reel" stuff,

Ben
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

Tony Scott? The director of Top Gun, Domino, True Romance, etc.?
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

synthnut, that´s just beautiful. My god, what a beauty. I would give an arm and a leg for a setup like that. But tell me, it is for 35mm right ?

I would like a copy of the manual if possible. Or I´ll just give bray a call.
Thinking of visiting Bray soon.
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

Paul, I forgot to thank you for the input... I only learned the other week that PVC is useful for these purposes... I kind of was under the impression that PTFE or stainless (acid resisting) steel was the only way to go..
Nice links. Gave me some ideas. Should build a cnc machine first... manual work only does it for prototypes... even pcb drilling is tiresome... :roll:
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Mikael wrote:Snapped them with my cellphone... :oops:
Personally, I think this is amazing. Cellphones shoot better pictures every day. These are far better than the Sony Mavica we bought about 5 years ago. Cool processor, dude. Hope you're able to do something with it!

Roger
paulcotto

Post by paulcotto »

I converted my Taig MicroMill to CNC a few years ago. I added servo motors and build a controller using Gecko Servo Drives. I mostly use it manually due to the hassle of making CAD drawings and coverting them to NC code. These days I find it easier to use eMachineShop for medium size jobs. You can get the software for free from their web site.
Regards,

Paul Cotto
Mikael wrote:Paul, I forgot to thank you for the input... I only learned the other week that PVC is useful for these purposes... I kind of was under the impression that PTFE or stainless (acid resisting) steel was the only way to go..
Nice links. Gave me some ideas. Should build a cnc machine first... manual work only does it for prototypes... even pcb drilling is tiresome... :roll:
Don't worry about equipment so much and make your movie!
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

MovieStuff wrote:
Mikael wrote:Snapped them with my cellphone... :oops:
Personally, I think this is amazing. Cellphones shoot better pictures every day. These are far better than the Sony Mavica we bought about 5 years ago. Cool processor, dude. Hope you're able to do something with it!

Roger
It _is_ amazing! These pics are shot with my Sony K750i @ 2 megapixels ... i think the camera in the samsung D600 is a notch better yet..

Original size is 1600 * 1200 or smth like that ...
The quality all depends on the amount of available light...
Some above are blurred because i shook a great deal...

You should see the pics i snapped when i was in Greece... They are stunning! Razorsharp.

2 Mpixels is the standard in cellulars where i live at least, but according to what i´ve heard the standard in Japan is around 5 Mpixels !!!! Not that i´m that surprized, they are indeed at the cutting edge of technology in many areas...