Light Meter

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

film_idaho

Light Meter

Post by film_idaho »

Hey team,

I have a bit of a request for you. I really need a light meter! I am amazed how far I have gone without one but now that I have a serious camera and will be putting serious money into film I figure I better get with the program and come to you all. I am looking for a decent working light meter price range $20.00 to $40.00 (USD). Just a used basic cine incident light meter nothing to fancy.

I came to you guys because if I buy one from the people here you could at least vouch that it works, on eBay not so much.

Thank you! :)

-Alex Mason (film_idaho)
Eat or make art? I choose art.
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

One from eBay stands a pretty good chance of being 'close enough'. Look for an older Sekonic... shouldn't need to spend more than $25.
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

For a decent working light meter you should plan to spend about $100. I bought a used Sekonik L398 for $90 and an ancient Weston for less, but use the Sekonik. And check your meter against a known good one; they drift over time due to component aging.
Robert Hughes
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

I have to disagree - I don't think you need to spend $100 for an incident meter. My meter is a Sekonic Deluxe (marked Brockway on the front, Sekonic Deluxe on the back) and I paid $15 with the case and slides. It seems to be quite accurate. For very, very low light (say, outdoors under street lights with 500T) I might want a meter that has finer distinctions at the low end of the scale. For outdoor work a spot meter might be convenient. For general use it's nice, though.

A quick eBay completed item search revealed several L-398s in the $50-70 range.
freddiesykes

Post by freddiesykes »

As a comparison, a new Sekonic L-398M Studio Deluxe II at bhphoto will run you $179.00 plus shipping.

I was looking at those sekonics on ebay a couple days ago. Are they worth the $75 price they fetch? A friend has a light meter she wants to lend me but it doesn't have any slides. How accurate will it be without the slides?
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

....I use a Nikon N90 SLR camera with matrix, center-weighted and spot metering capability. I don't own a hand held meter. If you have a decent SLR around.......

Steve
Joe Gioielli

Post by Joe Gioielli »

Well, everything depends on budget, but I bought a second hand one from a local camera shop. I got a sekonic studio delux(l-398) in box with all original items for 175. It is more expensive than any film camera I own.

I'm sure you could get one cheaper from ebay, but you have the old problem with ebay, no idea what you're getting. I've had some bad luck with photo equipment on ebay (I've only lost about 200 buck, but it still sucks) so I only buy from ebay that which I can not get otherwise. If your meter is screwed up, you can mess up a lot of film.

So, my advice, if you have to, ebay. But if you can afford it, get a used one from a good dealer. Piece of mind has value to. When the first batch of expensive 16mm film is getting processed, every corner you cut will hang on you like an anchor. Buy a good one, buy it once. You can save money in other areas of your life. Get the best stuff you can.
Zevon forever!
studiocarter

Post by studiocarter »

I have bought the same Sekonic L-398 meter new with slides, too.
My last film was shot half with a Weston and half with the Sekonic. No difference. If you want a Weston let me know as I have several.
Pittsburgh PA USA
regular8mm
16mmfilmmaking
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

The Minolta Auto Meter IV F is not that expensive now that the new model is out. It's useful for ambient light measurements for both still and cine. I bought mine used for about $120 on ebay, last year.

My only suggestion is to get something that you can lock the needle after taking a reading so if you're forgetful like me you can check back. THose old Bolex cine meters are cool and cheep too or an old Weston for $10.

The idea about using the TTL meter in the SLR is a good one plus you can grab some stills while you're at it. On larger budget productions the still photographer is an important member of the camera and publicity staff.

I'd love hearing how this all comes out.
http://MusicRiverofLife.com
http://TabbyCrabb.com
scott

Post by scott »

I had a Weston Master - worked great until it died. I got it for $10 at a thrifty/used photo shop. Then I picked up a newer Vivitar incident/reflected for $15. It also works perfectly well.
Independent Filmmaker
http://www.lytewave.com/
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

Any meter will do, as long as it reads correctly. The Sekonic L398 was the standby in film schools for decades, and there's plenty of them around.