Adobe Premiere - tech question

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

matt5791

Adobe Premiere - tech question

Post by matt5791 »

Anyone familiar with a fairly basic procedure in this software of adding a cross dissolve between two shots.

I seem to be having a small problem with this.

Often it does not run smoothly - not in a slow computer or needs rendering kind of way, but in an adding some extra frames way.

When you watch it back it sort of blips with the flash of a frame which should not be there - when you nudge through frame by frame you discover it too -

Could this be because I am cutting the clip in at the wrong frame?

Also sometimes I insert a transition, and it doesnt show at all, normally a disolve, but if I replace it with a fade this works fine.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated,

Thanks,

Matt
Birmingham UK.
http://www.wells-photography.co.uk
Avatar: Kenneth Moore (left) with producers (centre) discussing forthcoming film to be financed by my grandfather (right) C.1962
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

Matt

Sounds like you have not enough frames either after the first scene cut or before the second scene cut. Whenever you do a disolve you will need (X) number of frames where (X) is based on the duration of the effect which in this case is a dissolve. The default duration is one second, so you will need 30 frames of the same scene after the cut of the first scene and 30 frames of the same scene before the cut-in of the second scene. If you adjust your cut marks to allow the 30 frame excess, your disolve will be perfect.

David M. Leugers
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

OK I think I begin to understand - I will have a go. Thanks a lot, Matt
Birmingham UK.
Avatar: Kenneth Moore (left) with producers (centre) discussing forthcoming film to be financed by my grandfather (right) C.1962
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

Sometimes rendering solves all...
CToTheH

Post by CToTheH »

There is a trick I learned to get around this very anoying issue.

If you razorblade the two areas that you want to disolve together and then pearate them on different video tracks, and then you add a cross disolve onto the beginings of each and then place the two tracks backtogether - VIOLA!

It's easy.

-Chris
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

I don't know what you shot with, but if 24fps, you should be able to remove pulldown and cut more accurately.
100D and Vision 3 please
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

CToTheH wrote:There is a trick I learned to get around this very anoying issue.

If you razorblade the two areas that you want to disolve together and then pearate them on different video tracks, and then you add a cross disolve onto the beginings of each and then place the two tracks backtogether - VIOLA!

It's easy.

-Chris
Interesting - you have obviously had the same problem.

It is all 25fps - originated in and transfered in so this makes things easy in that respect.

Thanks for all the help,

Matt
Birmingham UK.
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

OK, tried shifting the one part of the clip to another track and adding a disolve to the end of the one part and the begining of the other and I just get a fade in and out of black.

It is very odd looking thing, I have just analysed it more.

Here is the situation. I have a shot of the front door of a house. In the original unedited footage the camera is shooting the door and two people walk through it and the camera moves back so as to allow more of the house to fill the frame, and then follows the two people away and to the right.

I have selected, from the original sequence, a clip up to just before the people walk out and then the next clip I have selected starts from when the people are away to the right and the door is no longer in the frame.

I then drag and drop a cross dissolve between the two, render the sequence and play back - and I have a "blip" in the middle of the transition.

I nudge, frame by frame, through the dissolve and discover that, right in the middle, there are a couple of frames from the original sequence that I did not even select. - these frames are of the door on the wider view and they have been added to the second clip!

so this points at the not enough frames theory so it is stealing some from somewhere else?

Seems very odd, and looks crappy!

Matt
Birmingham UK.
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

Analysed even closer now - all the frames in the second part of the disolve are NOT from the end of the first end of the first clip, but from a little further on in the original sequence where the camera angle has changes slightly, and so it looks odd.

Why would it do this?

Am I not adding the dissolve correctly by just draging and dropping from the tranasitions menu?

Thanks

Matt
Birmingham UK.
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

OK, OK - Have analysed EVEN CLOSER!

I was not giving enough frames for the dissolve for it to rollover for the original sequence. I had cut the first clip on the last frame before the shot changed, so it was using further frames beyond the cut point to fill the gap, which were a slightly different camera angle and hence the "blip"

So it now works

Thanks the the help!!!
Birmingham UK.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

if your AP is somewhat similar to AP 40 for the MAC i found the easiest (if not only) way to arrange this to put one clip on the A and the other on the B roll.

if a crossover transition you put up becomes fade to black you simply miss the image/film strip on the other track A->B or B->A.

you have to overlap the clips for so long at you want the transition to last. transition can be stretched or shortened to fit whatever you want. make sure you set the transition the way you like from A->B or opposite.

sample from AP 4.0 but not completely analog.

click the image to see a big version

theres a few more samples if you click around the nearest images.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

Thanks very much for that,

Matt
Birmingham UK.
mattias

Post by mattias »

CToTheH wrote:VIOLA!
...da gamba?

/matt
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

mattias wrote:
CToTheH wrote:VIOLA!
...da gamba?

/matt
Thank you, I've been wondering myself for some time why people here keep referring to a musical instrument. ;)
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

I use keyframes to make a transition.

Using Keyframes in Adobe Premiere 1.5 for transitions

1. Clip one is on video 2 and expand the video track.
2. Place clip two on video 3 above clip one at the end of clip one. Expand the videotrack. Make sure clip two overlaps clip one the part you want the transition to have.
3. In the left tools menu for each clip, click Show keyframes. Now you should have a line going through all clips on that track.
4. Place the timeline indicator where you want the clip to start and click the circle Add/Remove keyfram. Do the same for end of the transition.
5. No, put your mousepointer on the keyframe where you want the transition to begin and pull it down. That's it! Only rendering left.

Example - Click on image for large version!

Regards,
Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations