My film log: how I have filmed my project. Opinions?

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
npcoombs

My film log: how I have filmed my project. Opinions?

Post by npcoombs »

I have updated my website with a film log of all the super-8 I have shot: how, why and when, along with some photographs taken recently.

Just thought I'd let everyone take a look at what I'm doing. Any intelligent feedback, questions or advice would be appreciated.

click here
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

Cool that you are moving forward with "The Burning of Girolamo Savonarola". I think the flames will look cool on 500T - you may need to work with your colorist a bit to get the look you want. Please let me know how this works out as soon as you can. I have been planning a shoot that is exclusively lit by flames too. I might use some magnesium flares to blast the set if I don't get enough light out of the fire...

Looking forward to seeing your film,

Steve
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

What exposure readings were you getting?
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

I set the camera to f1.4 and the exposure meter flickered between red (underexposed) and green (exposed correctly).

The light of flames is much weaker than you may think. I had statues within one meter of the flames and even using some reflectors I could not get enough light on them, eventually I had to illuminate them using a high powered torch, which will give a surreal texture from different light temperatures.

Handheld seemed to be ok. The weight and size of the 6008 gives it a certain steadiness that you could not get on smaller s8 cams.

I shot everything on 25fps (for PAL transfer), LL shutter speed and exposed at the max ASA my camera will allow which is 400. I'll only really know how this has worked out after telecine, although I will project anyway - even if it negative!
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

....hmmm F 1.4 that sounds tough to focus. My guess is that it will look quite grainy.

Steve
mathis

Post by mathis »

I recently shot material only lit by two candles on 500T. It came out a bit soft but nice.
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

steve hyde wrote:....hmmm F 1.4 that sounds tough to focus. My guess is that it will look quite grainy.
Any relation between those observations?

Focus will probably be a little off in most shots, but since I was shooting in wide macro most of the time instrumental DOF is probably quite deep.

I expect it to be grainy. Unlike the website photos though most of my filming was in CU so there will not be as much black or dark areas in the s8 footage...I was steaming for a whole night after this shoot!
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

npcoombs wrote:
steve hyde wrote:....hmmm F 1.4 that sounds tough to focus. My guess is that it will look quite grainy.
Any relation between those observations?

Focus will probably be a little off in most shots, but since I was shooting in wide macro most of the time instrumental DOF is probably quite deep.

I expect it to be grainy. Unlike the website photos though most of my filming was in CU so there will not be as much black or dark areas in the s8 footage...I was steaming for a whole night after this shoot!
Both in relation to F 1.4. Shallow DOF and under low light conditions objects that are not in focus will appear more grainy. Will you be supervising your xfer?

Steve
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

steve hyde wrote:
Both in relation to F 1.4. Shallow DOF and under low light conditions objects that are not in focus will appear more grainy. Will you be supervising your xfer?
No, just getting a best light from CinePost. Hopefully I can correct it myself in Final Cut. - although I might write them a note on the off chance they actually follow my advise.
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

I see. You might ask them to give you more contrast. (I'm assuming you want black blacks instead of muddy) If you have a photograph that has the look you want you can always email it to them so that they can reference it.

Steve
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

Good tip Steve.

btw: I have a pre-telecine preview clip on my website now....you can read all the disclaimers (quality wise) on my entry to the small gauge film forum thread..
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

Nathan,

Your footage is excellent and your clip strongly conveys a distinct mood. I watched your clip with my girlfriend this morning. ( we were in Florence and Rome earlier this year) We really liked the shots of the street from above and the slow motion shots of the crowd in front of the Uffizi. We also liked the time lapses of the statues. Sarah found the scratch more distracting than I did. I seemed to see past it. I bet CinePost can do a lot for the scratch with their wetgate.

Very well done. Music is lovely too.

Steve
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

steve hyde wrote:Nathan,

Your footage is excellent and your clip strongly conveys a distinct mood. I watched your clip with my girlfriend this morning. ( we were in Florence and Rome earlier this year) We really liked the shots of the street from above and the slow motion shots of the crowd in front of the Uffizi. We also liked the time lapses of the statues. Sarah found the scratch more distracting than I did. I seemed to see past it. I bet CinePost can do a lot for the scratch with their wetgate.

Very well done. Music is lovely too.

Steve
Thanks Steve. Yes the scratch is very annoying. It has a different character on each shot as well. I don't mind it when it is a hairline, but on other shots its like someone took a thick white marker pen and a ruler to the footage. On other shots it is even thicker, but looks like composed of lots of finer scratches! I hope when I get the proper rank telecine, I might be able to crop some shots quite a lot and still have an acceptable quality, grain and steadiness. Some shots with the 'marker-pen' scratch will probably have to hit the floor (e.g. chapel)...still makes me quite sad and frustrated though, even months on...

Btw: since this thread has turned into basically a dialogue between us, you might find the section on my website Conversations interesting. I just updated it.
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

...Make sure you request a "wet gate" rank. CinePost will only use the wet system if you request it. This method will totally change the characteristic of your scratch. I don't think you will have a white hot scratch in the end.

Steve
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

steve hyde wrote:...Make sure you request a "wet gate" rank. CinePost will only use the wet system if you request it. This method will totally change the characteristic of your scratch. I don't think you will have a white hot scratch in the end.

Steve
I would like to hope so, but the scratch was dug into the emulsion prior to entrance into the gate. :(