your favorite directors

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

"It's a crime that this film isn't on DVD here in the UK, and apparently the US dvd is terrible picture quality"

Yep. There are a series of angry webpages explaining the 'encoding error' on the R1 DVD, which from what I remember involves it being interlaced - they're suspicious that it came from the LD version, or something...

I love the world of Honneamise. You're right that it wasn't directed by Anno, but I still regard it as an Anno film... even if it isn't, his best work may still have been Honneamise ;)

Not to diminish the achievement of Eva. There has never been an anime series like that, especially on network, primetime TV. There are some things about Japan that are truly fantastic (and some less so).
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

yep... the attention to detail of worldbuilding in Wings' is stunning... every detail thought out and alien yet believable and vaguely familiar... And on top of that the whole history and future of the society implied/depicted too! :)
Not to diminish the achievement of Eva. There has never been an anime series like that, especially on network, primetime TV.
Indeed. It's the Twin Peaks or The Prisoner of anime!

A lot of Gainax's recent non-Anno stuff is pretty amazing too. FLCL is genius; amazing animation and really great characterisation and story. Notable for letting the animators do shots in their own style to grreat effect.

More otaku-ish but still amazing are Re: Cutie Honey and the current Gunbuster 2 series... Cutie Honey has some really stunning animation in a unique style that does a great job of capturing something of Go Nagai's drawings but in a totally modern way, (oh, and ridiculous amounts of gratuitous nudity! :?) Gunbuster 2 is just crazy... even more postmodern than usual, interestingly structured and innovative and unusual designs. I can't wait to see if it turns out to have any literal connection to the original series!... it seeems so far to hint at being in the far future of it but who knows!?

They seemed to have slowed down a bit recently so hopefully they're gearing up to make something truely amazing again now they've raked in the cash with their more otakuish projects (all the weirdly wrong eva merchandise, dating games, etc!) :)

Possibly my favorite Gainax thing is actually pre-gainax!: the Daicon IV opening animation, a tour de force of pure otaku energy, stunning homemade 80's animation, intertextual reference and ELO! ^_^ ... never fails to make me happy! :) OH! And it was shot on Single-8!!!

infos here:
http://www.cjas.org/~leng/daicon.htm

Alas it'll probably never be released officially due to the use of 1000s of copyrighted characters, the music, etc. But you can download a lo-fi movie of it here: http://www.catsuka.com/videos_anim.php?type=amateur
- "Daicon 4"
(i think that''s the whole clip? Also they have the fun but much more homemade 'daicon 3' opening, and some making of clips)
Tim Drage
films - http:///www.spiteyourface.com
noise - http://www.cementimental.com

"It's cheaper to shoot someone with a gun than a film camera." - amishman35
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

FLCL looks cool from what I've seen. I'm waiting to find enough time to watch the whole series... I hate stopping partway through. (I don't mean all in one sitting, just within the same week or so).
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

re: Gainax - Ebichu? I've been watching the series and it's really great. Hilarious and incisive. A must-watch for people who are familiar with or interested in Japanese culture.
Dr_Strangelove

Post by Dr_Strangelove »

ORSON WELLES- Because he changed the system.

STANLEY KUBRICK- He made the music as important as the picture,
and I like that.
sk360

Post by sk360 »

It's always changing for me, but at the moment my top 10 are( in no particular order)...

1) Stanley Kubrick

2) Martin Scorsese

3) Alfonso Cuarón

4) Orson Wells

5) Chris Cunningham

6) Alfred Hitchcock

7) Mark Romanek

8 ) Joe Pytka

9) Sergio Leone

10) Kenji Misumi
CToTheH

Takashi Miike

Post by CToTheH »

My favorite film makers are the following:

1. Takashi Miike -

this is a director who constantly delivers and constantly works to improve his film making. He has been an overlooked director shadowed with a stigma for just being a shock artist, but he's begun to prove himself as a highly talented, and now very famous Japanese director.

2. Takashi Miike-
seriously, this dude is one hard working monster of directors!

3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 - the regular guys everyone usually puts down.
cdg

Post by cdg »

Honestly, I'm a little surprised that nobody has ventured Bruce Brown. As an avid motorcyclist, I can confirm that Brown really "got it" when it came to explaining "why would you ever want to ride that thing". To this day it still faithfully tells the story of every motorcyclist.

The Endless Summer is also a classic.

I think besides the truth that Brown managed to capture in most of his films, I really like his paintaking efforts in editing, narration, and choice of camera placement. A lot of the shots he got were one in a million, and he did not have the luxury of being able to ask for a second take.

Just my humble and somewhat inexperienced opinion, to be taken with a grain of salt.
likebenjireadingovid

Post by likebenjireadingovid »

Angelopoulos, Rivette, Ophuls, Hawks, Wong Kar-Wai, Keaton, Welles, Starevitch, Michael Powell...
yolia

Post by yolia »

My favorite:
Coppola
Scorcese
Lucas
Stone
Malick
Scott, Ridley
Tarantino
Rodriguez
Not necessarily in that order.
MIKI-814

Re: your favorite directors

Post by MIKI-814 »

Hitchcock
Otto Preminger
Truffaut
Orson Welles
John Huston
Woody Allen
Fellini
brokenflashlight

Post by brokenflashlight »

Federico Fellini
Spike Jonze
Stanley Kubrick
Guy Maddin
Charlie Kaufman (more of a writer than a director, but he has recently made the crossover to directing)
Quentin Tarantino
Coen Bros.
Alfred Hitchcock
Errol Morris
Ingmar Bergman

Honorable mention to P.T. Anderson. Even though I thought Magnolia was an overwrought piece of garbage... I can't wait to see what he does next, after witnessing Blood. I heard his next project will employ Jack Nicholson as the lead.........
There can be no thought of finishing, for "aiming at the stars" both literally and figuratively is a problem to occupy generations, so that no matter how much progress one makes there is always the thrill of just beginning.

-Dr. Robert Goddard
ezrazmus

Post by ezrazmus »

hello all, i'm new on this forum.
here's my initial list on this exhaustive topic:

-- kieslowski (derived the most passion from each scene)
-- orson wells (watch 'f for fake' to see how solid he was)
-- goddard (alphaville in particular blew me away)
-- polanski ('knife in the water' is pure masterpiece/'frantic' is thrilling)
-- hitchcock (good luck besting 'Dial M for Murder')
-- walter hill ('the driver' anyone?)
-- wes anderson
-- tim burton
Thefilmwall

Post by Thefilmwall »

this is my favorite directors.........
Richard Donner --
Jan de Bont
Ivan Reitman
Roger Donaldson
Barry Sonnenfeld
Rob Reiner
Joel Schumacher
Andrew Davis
William Friedkin
Adrian Lyne
Francis Ford Coppola
so i always see movies of these director.
The Film Wall is a place where you can watch online free moviesanytime.
hideout_tree

Post by hideout_tree »

john carpenter.