Sample clip of my last short

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Napo

Sample clip of my last short

Post by Napo »

Hi everyone,
Here' a sample clip of my last short I wanna share. It was shot last summer in s16mm with Kodak 7245 stock.

http://www.kinepix.com/cliptfpqt.html

Cheers !

Pascal
Thomas JI

Post by Thomas JI »

Dude, it looks like it was shot on 35mm! I have heard that s16 is also making quite a resurgence as well. s16 seems to be used quite a bit for HD programming, ie the Ernhardt documentry.
alan doyle

super smashing great...

Post by alan doyle »

well done fantastic...it looks really lovely,it would be great to see what happens...next...
where did you shoot it? who shot it....
45 is my favorite,but again like all my favorites,it will be cancelled and replaced at the end of the year..
did you kop off with the girl in the picture,she is sexy.....
i shoot and sometimes i score
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

Could you tell us about your lighting plan?
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

Alan Doyle wrote:
45 is my favorite,but again like all my favorites,it will be cancelled and replaced at the end of the year..
It will be? Damn! I wanted to shoot some in Super8!
That would be a special order from Pro8 I guess, I wonder if it would be possible to keep a few carts and sell the rest.....

Apparently they have a minimum of 24 carts for special orders (at least for Velvia), so it isn´t such a huge pile of carts.... :-k Velvia would cost $50 per cart by the way, with processing included. Damn idiots, why can´t they sell without processing! :evil: Feels so idiotic to send the carts all the way to US for processing! :evil:

Oh, and the clip looked great by the way! :)
HTTK

Post by HTTK »

That clip does look amazing! I have some 45 but haven't shot any yet. (Don't tell anyone but I haven't even shot any negative 16mm yet. :p ) This makes me want to get out and shoot it right now! I would also like to know the process you took with this....is this direct color from the negative? Or did you color correct when you transfered it? How did you transfer it? Sorry for all the questions, just excited to hear back on all how you made this fantastic clip. :)
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

Whereas usually I wouldn't say celebrate too early but screw that, that clip was amazing well shot. Feel proud, thanks for spreading the love.
martin

Post by martin »

Just saw it. That was awesome. The blue and the white of the guys suit look awesome. Wow..

Ending was great, I was expecting the ole, The character wakes up from a dream in a dark bedroom.

Awesone.
Bauer S 209 XL
Cosina 40P
Beaulieu 6008s
teadub

Post by teadub »

Looks very nice. I love '45 also.
• Steven Christopher Wallace •
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2591403/
http://www.scwfilms.com
Napo

Post by Napo »

Tanks for your nice comments !

I happen to have directed and produced this 9 minutes film entitled " Teen Funkle Paradise". It was shot in june 2004 in south of France (but not in the french riviera...). I would love to say to you guys that we've shot it with my mechanical K3 and some old pentax takumar M42 optics and a bunch of friends as a crew but unfortunately it's not true... Yet, in the first place I was planning to do it that way!

Ultimately we've used an Arri SRII High Speed and Zeiss 35mm optics (+a few BlackPromist filters) with the help of a steadicamer (paddock) and a big professionnal crew. The shooting last 4 days for one 9' scene. As for the lighting plan, very simple in theory : we followed the movement of the sun and use many reflectors (ie 4x4m silk) no extra artificial light was added.
But it happened to be damn complicated as far as the continuity was concerned !
Then, the stocks were telecined in HD using a Spirit. Editing in FCP (DV) and back to HD for color correction using a Poogle Megadef. Finally, because i was'nt happy with the color correction done in HD and because I had no money left, I color corrected the movie in "Combustion" from a SD downconversion and had it shot back to 35mm 7245. The clip you saw is a compression from the final Digibeta version.

If you're interested you can find several stills of the shooting in our website as other sample clips from my previous shorts (sorry it's in french without english subtitles) and a music video shot in S8 (already posted a link for the last one a few months ago).

http://www.kinepix.com

Pascal
mattias

Post by mattias »

Napo wrote:we followed the movement of the sun and use many reflectors (ie 4x4m silk)
cool, that's the way i've always done my outdoors too. my budgets have limited me to foamcore though, but i've always wanted to try a bigger rig. did you diffuse or block the sunlight at any point or did you just fill the shadows?
But it happened to be damn complicated as far as the continuity was concerned !
nah, while i noticed the errors they didn't bother me at all. people always perceive the sun as coming from above anyway, so just shoot every angle at a point in time where the sun is in the best position to work with. i like to always use the sun as a back or cross light and it seems like you did something similar. at least for the closeups.

i'd love to see a full res clip if you got one.

/matt
jean

Post by jean »

The short is great, thanks for sharing! The dude reminds me of one of the Flodder family :D
have fun!
jean

Post by jean »

ooh, the photos are promising, it seems that it is going to end as a very unpleasant experience for the dude! Any chance to see the whole short?
have fun!
sooper8fan

Post by sooper8fan »

yeah, i'd like to see the whole short also. The footage looks awesome, but without seeing more it's just another hot chick in a bikini for no reason.
photo site: http://www.zelophoto.com
photo blog: http://www.zelophotoblog.com
Napo

Post by Napo »

did you diffuse or block the sunlight at any point or did you just fill the shadows?
It depended on the shots. Basically I asked my DoP to diffuse as much as possible and to "unstick" the actors from the background (to make the background look like studio paintings).
i like to always use the sun as a back or cross light and it seems like you did something similar. at least for the closeups.
Actually we use the sun as a cross light as much as possible for medium shots and closeups. I really recommand the use of 35mm optics with 16mm camera. The images look sharp and clear. Amazing.

i'd love to see a full res clip if you got one.
Well, a 10 bits uncompressed 4:2:2 2minutes clip is going to be a bit heavy... I'll probably upload a DV version of the clip later on when the ftp of andreas site will work again.
Any chance to see the whole short?
The film is broadcast in a french TV cable channel (TPS) until august the 14th. It will be released in DVD in september. I hope it will be selected and screened in several foreign film festivals (the short has no dialog nor comments, only music made by KAOLIN) and also broadcast in forein Tv channels. I'll keep you guys informed. Thanks again for your interest !

Pascal