What to put with 7 hours of film...

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Roger - isn't it still legal to make archive copies of VHS tapes that you own? If they bought the films legally I see no reason why they can't legally have them transferred to a modern format.
johnnhud

Post by johnnhud »

Evan Kubota wrote:Roger - isn't it still legal to make archive copies of VHS tapes that you own? If they bought the films legally I see no reason why they can't legally have them transferred to a modern format.
I would agree with this statement. I also have been given films that are commercialy produced, but have transfered them with the understanding that they are an archived version of the original film. Much like making back up CD's or DVD's of your favorite music or movies. If I was to sell copys of these films then I would be in violation of the copyright law for sure. Providing a service to allow customers without the means of a home transfer to be able to archive their owned studio films doesn't prick my conscience when I sleep at night.