Another 35mm movie camera oddity

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Herb Montes

Another 35mm movie camera oddity

Post by Herb Montes »

I know this forum is mostly for amateur format users but I like to think it also helps to preserve the history of cinematography by providing a conduit for information of past technological advances. A while ago I posted about finding a DeVry 35mm movie camera inside of a "traffic camera" casing. Well I have found another similar camera.

I found this on the Pacific Rim Camera site and purchased it. I got it today and looked it over closely. Attached is the picture they had of it on the site.

It was advertised as a National Cine MC model 35mm movie camera. The label on the camera states the company name as National Cine Laboratories, New York. The mechanism inside is obviously a Devry. It is very similar to the ones seen on eBay and to the one I have from the traffic camera. What is interesting about this is the lens mount. It looks like it was added on later and uses Contax bayonet mount rangefinder lenses. Also the lens mount racks-over to a side finder to allow focusing while the top finder is for filming. It takes 100 foot spools of 35mm movie film. The extra pieces are a bit of mystery. A plate that bolts to the front could have been part of a matte box while some frames look like part of a viewfinder. The top viewfinder tube has interchangeable objectives for different lenses.

I'm going to clean this up and oil it. I have some Contax lenses on order and plan to shoot some film with it. It's rather heavy and would probably be easier to shoot with on a tripod.
downix

Post by downix »

Can't wait to get my DeVry's so I can see what can be done with them. This just inspires me more.
carlweston

Post by carlweston »

please tell me what a DeVry is...thanks
Check the DVD's I'm selling at http://www.graffitivideos.com/grafcore2000trailer.htm
Tools
DVX100A, TRV8, TRV315, DCR-HC20, Nizo S80, Beaulieu 4008MZ, Beaulieu 4008MZII, Bauer C107XL, EUMIG 65 XL
I Hope I'm Not Turning Into a Camera Collector.
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

DeVry made 35mm and 16mm movie cameras during the 1930's. They also made a number of 35mm and 16mm movie projectors (I have several 35mm models). They are basic film equipment often showing up on eBay. Not as highly prized as a Bell and Howell or a Bolex but very serviceable.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Any chance to get one of these puppies to do single frame and time-exposure without cumbersome batteries and gear attachments?
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

I don't know why it isn't possible to build a clockwork mechanism to power the camera and do time lapse. There was a time lapse device built by Stevens that worked with a clockwork Bolex and even kept it wound up but it was still electric powered.
downix

Post by downix »

Just got my DeVrys, time to have fun.
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

The lenses I ordered have come in and I have also ordered some film to try out in my camera. I'll be using Kodak 5245 (50 asa daylight) color negative. Film Emporium sells it for $10 per 100 foot roll on a daylight spool.

A few more interesting things about this camera. It has a variable shutter but it can only be changed by loosening a screw on the shutter axle so it can't be changed while running the camera. The side finder has a knob that allows enlarging the center of field for critical focusing. When handcranking it exposes 6 frames per turn of the crank. Which means if I turn it at the usual two times per second (as with most early cameras which exposed 8 frames per turn for 16 fps, silent speed) I get a filming speed of 12 fps. That will give me around 2 minutes of filming time. To get closer to silent speed I will have to crank at around 3 turns per second to get around 18 fps. I'll wear my arm off if I try to crank for 24 fps (4 turns per second).

Future possible mods for this camera. Adapting an animation motor to it and a 400 foot magazine for longer filming.
schnozzle

Post by schnozzle »

Oh good lord that's cool. Three questions:

-was it terribly expensive, as far as old 35mm cameras go?

-why 'traffic camera'? What does that mean?

-you think something like this would be suitable for animation? What's the movement like?
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

schnozzle wrote:Oh good lord that's cool. Three questions:

-was it terribly expensive, as far as old 35mm cameras go?

It cost $450. The most I ever spent on a 35mm movie camera was $1,400 for a Rodina with several lenses, magazines and motors. I have spent as little as $500 for a basic Konvas. It is possible to buy a 35mm DeVry off eBay for under $100.

-why 'traffic camera'? What does that mean?

The DeVry Traffic Camera was inside a weather-proof housing and mounted on a pole at intersections to do time lapse movies of traffic patterns. There is a thread here about it with pictures.

-you think something like this would be suitable for animation? What's the movement like?
Yes, it can be used for animation by using a slow motor drive. The direct drive exposes 6 frames instead of the customary single frame. The clockwork drive does not single frame. The movement is a basic claw pull-down. The Rodina which I did buy for animation use has a pin registered movement. I have a thread here about that camera too.
schnozzle

Post by schnozzle »

Have you noticed much difference in shooting animation with a pin-registered movement rather than a pull-down claw? I've only ever used the latter in 16mm, I suppose I might be missing something.
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

schnozzle wrote:-why 'traffic camera'? What does that mean?
Correct me if i'm wrong but I'm assuming it's some kind of speed camera/security camera from before the days of CCTV? Like the Kodak Anylist super-8 which is basically a timelapse security camera.,..
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

Yes, this DeVry Traffic Camera basically did the same thing as video traffic cameras do today. It had a solenoid to activate a few frames at a time but still used the clockwork drive to power the film mechanism. It also had a light in the gate to mark the frame. Here's the link to the traffic camera thread with pictures:

http://www.filmshooting.com./scripts/fo ... ight=devry