Downloadable Super 8 films

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
Superbus_

Downloadable Super 8 films

Post by Superbus_ »

What is the reason that there are such a limited number of super 8 film downloadable? For example I can reach from this page just a few films. Why? It seems to me reading the forums that there are a lot of very active and talented filmmakers here. But where are the films? Just projecting not digitalising?
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

Perhaps they just post somewhere else. Here's a site that posts films and takes submissions:

http://www.brownfish.com
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

As much as I know, Andreas shut down this site's ftp over the summer due to indecent handling by forum goers. He'll probably fix it until autumn.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
mattias

Post by mattias »

tlatosmd wrote:by forum goers
i wouldn't call upload bots and hackers forum goers, but whatever. :-)

/matt
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

Thanks for this site:
http://www.brownfish.com
I enjoyed it :P

But I think there are other formats as well, not just super 8. I'm interested in especially a site where I can find only super 8 movies...
mattias

Post by mattias »

surely you've found onsuper8.org already since it's on the front page of main board?

/matt
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

Yes, there are super 8 films but it seems to me, if we compare the number of s8 film which has been made, and the number of downloadable films I think more than 95% of the films are not available. Am I right?
mattias

Post by mattias »

a lot of them seem to be available. in my experience very few films are made using super 8. lots of music videos, snow/skateboarding, surfing, home movies, inserts in features, sure, but very few "films". what exactly did you have in mind?

/matt
Superbus_

Post by Superbus_ »

what exactly did you have in mind?

Short films. I understand that for a 120 minutes movie, super 8 is not so good and not a practical format (but I'm not sure), I think short films and ads and clips are the future for super 8 (and parts of travel films like global trekker series). And I just like to click and watch them all.
mattias

Post by mattias »

Superbus_ wrote:Short films.
there are very few. i go to a lot of festivals with my films and see several hundred shorts each year, maybe one of them shot on super 8. when i asked what exactly you had in mind i meant are there any films that you know exist that you haven't been able to find or are you just assuming there must be more than you've found?
I think short films and ads and clips are the future for super 8
well, you'll probably have to wait until the future to watch them then. :-)

/matt
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Short films. I understand that for a 120 minutes movie, super 8 is not so good and not a practical format (but I'm not sure), I think short films and ads and clips are the future for super 8 (and parts of travel films like global trekker series). And I just like to click and watch them all.
My short film "Taco" was on the FTP here, but is currently unavailable. I'm currently working on another short which will be completed in early September... stay tuned.[/quote]
Alex

Post by Alex »

Mattias, perhaps more films are made on super-8 than you cite.

In the just completed Cannes Film Festival one Super-8 film was one of 9 films selected finalist from over 3,000 entries.

A more realistic reason is that filmmakers tend to be a bit slower uploading their movies then their digital video counterparts, and those who spend even more money by shooting 16mm usually have greater access to people who can help them make the upload happen.

I'll probably put mine online sometime this year. I'm still not sure who what where when.
mattias

Post by mattias »

Alex wrote:In the just completed Cannes Film Festival one Super-8 film was one of 9 films selected finalist from over 3,000 entries.
and most likely it was the only one of the 3,000 too. :-) nine samples is hardly enough material to come to any kind of statistical conclusions whatsoever.

/matt
Alex

Post by Alex »

mattias wrote:
Alex wrote:In the just completed Cannes Film Festival one Super-8 film was one of 9 films selected finalist from over 3,000 entries.
and most likely it was the only one of the 3,000 too. :-) nine samples is hardly enough material to come to any kind of statistical conclusions whatsoever.

/matt
But does it really matter whether it was the only one or not?

If a few hundred entries had been Super-8, then it was just a statistical probability that one makes finalist. If only one entry was made in super-8, made finalist, that is still signficant simply because the opposite secenario would not have been.
mattias

Post by mattias »

Alex wrote:But does it really matter whether it was the only one or not?
yes, because one is "very few", which is all i'm trying to say. you've made a super 8 short, i've made one, sonnyboo has made a few million, but that's pretty much it... :-)

/matt