DS8 Filmstock...what's going to be available soon?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Elmogs

DS8 Filmstock...what's going to be available soon?

Post by Elmogs »

As you know I really like DS8. However the problem is that K25 which was my favorite for DS8 is impossible to get anymore. And it will only be a matter of time before k40 goes that way soon as we all know.
So will the only filmstock available for that medium be the negative stocks (which I dont' like because I just want to project the original), or the Fomapan? That selection makes the medium very limited and i love color filmstocks. Maybe Bloopoid could comment on this.
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

Don't know for sure at this point. Fomapan DS8 is the least expensive form of shooting film, bar none! It is also a pretty fabulous B+W film stock. I do yearn for the new Plus-X and Tri-X to be available in DS8 and of course, the new Ektachrome 64. Till then, Kodachrome is readily available and we should be able to use it without worry for the next two years at least.

Long live DS8!

David M. Leugers
Joe Gioielli

Post by Joe Gioielli »

I contacted John Schwind about regular8 film and in his reply he also mentioned Double Super8:

" Regarding regular 8mm Kodachrome: If they buy it, it will be there. The S8 Kodachrome is slightly different than the 16mm(reg. 8mm) version. Kodak has a large quantity of the 16mm version and will continue to produce as long as Dwayne's is willing to process. As long as I have customers, I will sell the R8 and DS8 Kodachrome 40."

I then asked if it would be OK to post his message.

He said:

"Sure, you can post. Kodak has told me that they coated 5 of the master
rolls of 7270 just before they discontinued the super 8 version of
KMA40. That is a lot of film. 7270 is used for all of 16mm KMA 40 products
which includes 16mm, DS8 and regular 8. My guess is that quantity would
last several years."

So it seems this will be an option for Double Super 8 as well.
Zevon forever!
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Kahl Film's Double-Super8:

Colour Reversal:
KAHL UT 18 Chrome

B&W Reversal:
KAHL 24
danpuddick

Post by danpuddick »

if you get DS8 foma direct from Czech Republic it is dirt cheap. Eg from http://arcifoto.cz/foto/ it works out as US$8 £4.50 per 10.5 meter reel (CZK 200).

I once had an email from Foma telling me prices for buying direct from them - and also the price for their developing serive which I think was about CZK150 - us$6 £3.50

I don't know anyone who has ever had their Fomapan developed by Foma and whether they would be happy to post abroad, but I'm sure if you covered the costs it would be no problem - they seemed really friendly from the message.

I just won this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1 Quartz DS8 camera.

I will send Foma a message to see what they say about development, direct ordering and postage overseas.
keep on truckin'
daniel
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

Wow, that's pretty cheap! is R8 the same? (looking for myself now...)

Is it just me, or can you write in Czech by simply adding "y" to the end of words? :D