Some stupid Single8 questions

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jpolzfuss

Some stupid Single8 questions

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi,

my Single8-camera finally arrived. It came with some old R25 and R200 cartridges (with "process before 1981" or "...1986" marks).
a) Can those films still be processed by Fuji?!?! (Those films are the old ones - not the actual R25<b>N</b> and R200<b>N</b>.)
b) Does it make sense to film anything "serious" with them? E.g. I've heard a lot of rumors that similar superposed Agfa-Super8-films always come out totally black or at least very bluish... ?
c) The price for those cartridges included processing. And I do have those envelops, ... . But where do I send them to? Is "Fujicolor Photex GmbH; Siemensring 1; 47877 Willich; Germany" still correct? (Yes, I do live in Germany.) Or do I have to send them to Fuji in Japan like the current cartridges?

Besides: Three of those films are prestriped sound films in sound cartridges. Hence they don't fit into my silent camera :(

Another question: There have been several rumors about reloadable Single8-cartridges sold by Kahl and/or Retro8. But those shops don't seem to sell those cartridges anymore?!?

And another question: According to older articles in the Schmalfilm the "Retro-X" single8-b&w-film is packed and processed by Andec. And Andec should sell those films, too. But according to their web-pages they don't offer this service anymore?!

Jörg
Last edited by jpolzfuss on Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reflex

Re: Some stupid Single8 questions

Post by reflex »

jpolzfuss wrote:Hi,

my Single8-camera finally arrived. It came with some old R25 and R200 cartridges (with "process before 1981" or "...1986" marks).
a) Can those films still be processed by Fuji?!?!
Hi Jörg -

The old R25 and RT200 films cannot be processed anymore. The Willich address will only handle the new R25N and RT200N films.

Retro-X film is still available from Retro Enterprises in Japan. You are right, it used to be on the Andec site, too. May be worth phoning Andec to find out if they still have some.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
jean

Post by jean »

Perhaps it's just me, but the activity around 8mm seems to be more active than ever, so perhaps andec will think about it?

OK, and the absolute unthinkable: neg and e6 stock in single8 carts. Easy to do, since they can be reloaded without trouble. I'd run as fast as possible to grab one of the last zc1000 before ibenedeti has them all. Not likely to happen, since the amount of single8 cameras floating around is considerable less than super8, hence less potential buyers of stock.
have fun!
reflex

Post by reflex »

jean wrote:Perhaps it's just me, but the activity around 8mm seems to be more active than ever, so perhaps andec will think about it?

OK, and the absolute unthinkable: neg and e6 stock in single8 carts. Easy to do, since they can be reloaded without trouble. I'd run as fast as possible to grab one of the last zc1000 before ibenedeti has them all. Not likely to happen, since the amount of single8 cameras floating around is considerable less than super8, hence less potential buyers of stock.
Remember that the Fuji polyester film is thinner than Kodak stock. You can only get about 12 m of their film into a Single-8 cart. Still, that would be fun.
www.retrothing.com
jean

Post by jean »

The other (non-single8) fuji stocks are as thick as kodak's? But even then, 12m - I go for it!
have fun!
reflex

Post by reflex »

jean wrote:The other (non-single8) fuji stocks are as thick as kodak's? But even then, 12m - I go for it!
I wasn't clear - the Fuji stocks are all thin -- polyester based. The Kodak (and stocks like Fomapan & Kahl) is thicker.
www.retrothing.com
Sasounet

Post by Sasounet »

Hi,

Old R25 and R200 films can still be processed as long as they are called Fujichrome and not Fujicolor. I know, I just did it using http://www.single8film.com services! Unless something has changed very recently.

It takes time, so be patient.

One of my films was process before 1981 and came out fine. I had one R200 - 1995 that was totaly overexposed, but I did not shoot it myself so I don't know.

Regards,
Francois
Jam

Post by Jam »

Hi there,

It's Jam from Retro Enterprises.

I would like to clear some of rumors:

a)The old Fuji R25 & RT200 usually turnout over-exposure, I sugguest not to use them anymore, though we can process it at 1870yen/roll, takes 10 days in tokyo.

b) Most of the film came with camera are in bad condition (never stored in fridge), so do not expect the color come out normaly

c)The Fuji envelop can not be used anymore.

*We do not sell reloadable cart, so far we only sell RetroX, the retroX cart is recircle.

* The sale of the retroX is very low, even in homeland Japan, it is hard to sell outside of japan...Which more like a gift for our single-8 user, as 2900 yen /roll produce super low profit for us.

* We are working on the E6 in Single-8 cart, since we don't have enough staff in the shop, thing is slow for this project...

Maybe some single-8 user out there send more request email to my boss, than he will put it for priority!! mail@retro8.com

Sunny day in Tokyo 8)
BK

Post by BK »

Jam wrote:Hi we don't have enough staff in the shop, thing is slow for this project...
Jam, are you hiring? Experienced and seasoned 8mm expert like me??? :lol:

Bill
kentbulza

Post by kentbulza »

jpolzfuss wrote: b) Does it make sense to film anything "serious" with them? E.g. I've heard a lot of rumors that similar superposed Agfa-Super8-films always come out totally black or at least very bluish... ?
Superimposed pictures look great on Single-8. I wouldn't hesitate if that's the effect you're looking for.
jpolzfuss wrote: Another question: There have been several rumors about reloadable Single8-cartridges sold by Kahl and/or Retro8. But those shops don't seem to sell those cartridges anymore?!?
The oldest Single-8 cartridges are taped together, rather than cemented. Those are easy to open and as somewhat easy to load by hand.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi Jam,
Jam wrote: a)The old Fuji R25 & RT200 usually turnout over-exposure, I sugguest not to use them anymore, though we can process it at 1870yen/roll, takes 10 days in tokyo.

b) Most of the film came with camera are in bad condition (never stored in fridge), so do not expect the color come out normaly
Thanks, that's what I've feared :cry:
At least it's still cheaper to get those films processed than getting new ones, hence I guess that I can still use them for testing the camera's rewind & double-exposure functions :wink:
Jam wrote:c)The Fuji envelop can not be used anymore.
Too bad. :cry:
Jam wrote: *We do not sell reloadable cart, so far we only sell RetroX, the retroX cart is recircle.
Is it still processed by Andec? Or is it now only processed in your shop? In other words: Can I buy the RetroX-film from you, drop by at Andec (just a 15min "detour" on my way to/from work), get them developped there and hence save the time and money for shipping the exposed films from Berlin to Tokyo and you shipping the film back to Berlin, probably even getting the processed film back, just to ship it again to Berlin?
Jam wrote: * The sale of the retroX is very low, even in homeland Japan, it is hard to sell outside of japan...Which more like a gift for our single-8 user, as 2900 yen /roll produce super low profit for us.
:cry:
Jam wrote: * We are working on the E6 in Single-8 cart
8)
Jam wrote: Maybe some single-8 user out there send more request email to my boss, than he will put it for priority!! mail@retro8.com
I'll think about that ;)

Greetings from "a was sunny, now looks like rain" Berlin,
Jörg
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

reflex wrote:I wasn't clear - the Fuji stocks are all thin -- polyester based.
... and if someone could split 35mm (or larger) stock and perforate it for Super8/Single8, there would even be a reversal 64T from Fuji ... :lol:
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

kentbulza wrote:
jpolzfuss wrote:... similar superposed ...
Superimposed pictures ...
I meant "superposed" in the meaning of "the 'process before'-date has been passed several years/decades ago".
kentbulza wrote:The oldest Single-8 cartridges are taped together, rather than cemented. Those are easy to open and as somewhat easy to load by hand.
I hope to get to the Waghäusel-Super8/Single8/16mm/whatever-meeting this year. According to some rumors there are usually several of those old cartridges for sale... But I still don't know whether buying a 60m-roll from Kahl (e.g.) will be a good idea. This is because I don't own a dark-room and hence don't know how to split the material. And I guess that Kahl would be very unhappy if they get their material back in several 12m-pieces ;)

Jörg
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

jean wrote:The other (non-single8) fuji stocks are as thick as kodak's? But even then, 12m - I go for it!
fuji single8 film is 0.10mm otion n still stock measured is 0.15mm
S8 Booster wrote:UPDATE:

Fujichrome RT200N/R25N, Kodachrome 25 x 2 & Fomapan x 2 added thanks to board member kentbulza  who sent me those samples which are marked with an (*) on the list.

Films measured:

Kodak:
K40: 0.145mm (processed)
K40: 0.145mm (not processed)
K25: 0.145mm (processed) *
K25: 0.145mm (not-processed) *
VNF: 0.150mm (processed/not-processed = same)
V200T: 0.165mm (not processed)
E160: 0.130mm (processed)
E50D: 0.155mm (processed)
V250D: Later
V500T: Later

Kodachrome II (R8): 0.145mm (not processed)

Fuji:
F500T: 0.150mm (processed)
F400D: 0.150mm (processed)
RT200N: 0.100mm (processed)*
R25N: 0.100mm (processed)*

Agfa:
A40: 0.145mm (not processed)
A160: later

Fomapan
Fomapan: 0.145mm (processed)*
Fomapan: 0.145mm (not processed)*

R
t
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
paulcotto

Post by paulcotto »

Are you Tak from reto? I am Paul Cotto and I was stationed at Yokota in Fussa-Shi. I knew Tak Koyama from Retro when I lived there.

Regards,
Paul Cotto

Jam wrote:Hi there,

It's Jam from Retro Enterprises.

I would like to clear some of rumors:

a)The old Fuji R25 & RT200 usually turnout over-exposure, I sugguest not to use them anymore, though we can process it at 1870yen/roll, takes 10 days in tokyo.

c)The Fuji envelop can not be used anymore.

*We do not sell reloadable cart, so far we only sell RetroX, the retroX cart is recircle.

* The sale of the retroX is very low, even in homeland Japan, it is hard to sell outside of japan...Which more like a gift for our single-8 user, as 2900 yen /roll produce super low profit for us.

* We are working on the E6 in Single-8 cart, since we don't have enough staff in the shop, thing is slow for this project...

Maybe some single-8 user out there send more request email to my boss, than he will put it for priority!! mail@retro8.com

Sunny day in Tokyo 8)
Don't worry about equipment so much and make your movie!