Strange film damage

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jpolzfuss

Strange film damage

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi,

I just purchased a super8-film on ebay: a 33m short of the "battle of midway" - distributed by Revue (German and French Titles), Orwo b&w, no sound stripe. (I just needed a starting airplane from WWII to cut it into another film)
Since the most damage is normally found on the first meters of the film, I started to roll it down from the reel to do a quick examination with the naked eye. BUT: Instead of gliding down in a straight line, the film started to curl! The whole first 3 meters came down as one helix! And there's no sign that this'll change :-( The perforation looks good, but every 10 to 15cm one side of the film stock is either shrunk or overstretched!
My question is:
Is this a normal behaviour of Orwo-material stored incorrectly? (
Or is this a clear sign that the film was used as a decoration in helix form in a shop's window for more than year (and hence molten by the sun)?

Another problem is the auction's text:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... %3AIT&rd=1
(Short summary in English: Condition is used; cover looks good; film is "untested")

To me the film looks like totally unprojectable = totally damaged = definately not "used"!

Jörg
Angus

Post by Angus »

Well if the seller said the cover looked good but the film was untested, that doesn't actually suggest that the film is in good condition - just that the cover (box) is!

Looks like maybe you have been the victim of a seller who has been very clever.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Angus wrote:Looks like maybe you have been the victim of a seller who has been very clever.
Yeppp... :cry:
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

Sounds like the film shrunk while in the can. It probably hasnt been unraveled in years, shrunk to a "curled rolled state" film renew chemicals might work to project it, but only temporarily.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi,

thanks for your replies. The eBay-seller agreed to return my money. Hence I'll only loose the postage for the return...

Jörg