Clarifying details on the S8DV- DVDV test - no argumentation

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Clarifying details on the S8DV- DVDV test - no argumentation

Post by S8 Booster »

from me.

This post is not aimed at continuing or justifying anything in the S8/DV battle previously raging, only offering more information regarding the "test" that was not intended as such. I thought it might be of interest for some to get more details because it simply came out wrong.

The background for that comparistaion/showing was NOT to set up the two formats against each other, more about showing that the S8 transfered to DV/Video might be a good alternative to switching to DV for those who still wanted to use their S8 gear for filming while obtaining the possiblity to edit and keep their films on the video format.

The DVDV footage was supplied by a professional film maker which are now independant after many years in a broadcast company.

To keep it at a low key, lets say that everybody were surprised by the quality of the S8/DV, particulary the colours and image quality which undoubtedly held an advantage over the DV at LCD projection.

Even so no one belives S8 beeing a big future threat to DVDV including myself.

Regarding the lack of monitor comparisation.
In the battle I forgot to mention that at a different time the same footage were viewed (by only a few people) on 21" monitors and the image quality for both formats increased, possibly slightly more for the DVDV format but there was still a noticable difference in favour of the S8DV.

The most surprising DVDV part was some 16mm footage transfer by the DV filmmaker by DIY method. Absolutely free of flicker with excellent colours and outstanding image quality. The original 16mm footage looked like K25 but was from the ´50s or 60´s. Really superb.

Late this summer I will be able to post samples from new footage that compares the S8DV vs DVDV directly at the same spot under the same conditions and hopefully with relatively identical focal lengths.

This will probably not justify either format completely but at least it will have a common "platform" for the comparisation which offers those who are interested a possibilty to make up their own minds.

And, if Roger/Moviestuff is interested I might even send the S8 footage to him to make a comparisation between the Rank and the Worksprinter transfer as well.

This time I hope no one is offended or by any means embarrased? It was never my intention.

Joy filming, whatever format you like.

RGDS

TA 152 H-1

Post by Guest »

Whats with the Focke Wulf Fan Club? Anyhow TAnk went to Argentina.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

FW

Post by S8 Booster »

Hello Guest.

Nothing more than a genuine interest of WWII fighters and airplanes. FW/TA have never flown since they were on duty in a few countries after WWII.

And adding another not to difficult quiz. The TA was the next logical step?

This year the FW190 and according to rumours a TA 152 is going to fly again in Germany and USA respectively.

Kurt Tanks fighters were missing from the "wild" bunch of flying jewels. They also differ greatly in design from the other European fighters of that time. I hope to film them sometime soon to add them to my collection.

I believe Tank went to India after Argentina and returned to Germany where he died in the 80´s. Designed jet fighers in India. Recently his widow and son visited Fluwerk to watch the rebuild of his design.

I like shooting WWII planes. I think they are really impressive to see in action.

RGDS
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...