cocaine and film?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

paul

cocaine and film?

Post by paul »

I know, it's a strange question, but If you want to make a film with a cocaine user in it, you will need some fake coke . What substance is used as fake coke in films and can get through the nose with no harm done?

(I'm not going to buy some real one)

I hope at least one person can give a serious answer here.:wink:

Paul
companyofquail

Post by companyofquail »

i heard that PT Anderson uses some kind o vitamin pills crushed up. ill look around and post back unless you find it first, gotta run right now though.
i warned you not to go out tonight...
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

When something is actually being inhaled, it's often powdered milk. All the cocaine in Blow was. However, if the angle doesn't require it to be really snorted, often they'll use a small vacuum pump to suck up something more realistic while the actor just moves his head over it.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Vitamin B.

I do snort Altoid's Mints from time to time. So they would work too. They make for some very minty breathing...

Good Luck
jhoneycutt

Re: cocaine and film?

Post by jhoneycutt »

paul wrote: I hope at least one person can give a serious answer here.:wink:
Paul
I tried snorting coke once, but the bubbles kept going up my nose.....

jack
Canon 1014XL-S, Workprinter, Mac & PC
super8man

Post by super8man »

Nevermind, I thought this was about my real habit...
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
BK

Post by BK »

Dusty wrote:it's often often they'll use a small vacuum pump to suck up something more realistic while the actor just moves his head over it.
I was thinking the same when I read the question. It'll be done over several cuts so my actor is not going to snort "anything" down for real.

Guess they used a huge vacum pump for the shots of Al Pacino as Tony Montana with the huge pile of white stuff in front of him in "Scarface" :roll:

Bill
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

Method acting?

michael
mattias

Post by mattias »

i've worked with snorting talent. it gets out of hand quickly. :-)

/matt
SuperDuper8

Post by SuperDuper8 »

Why not use real coke?

P
ccortez

Re: cocaine and film?

Post by ccortez »

paul wrote:I know, it's a strange question, but If you want to make a film with a cocaine user in it, you will need some fake coke . What substance is used as fake coke in films and can get through the nose with no harm done?

(I'm not going to buy some real one)

I hope at least one person can give a serious answer here.:wink:

Paul
The last play I directed required both actors to snort fake coke the whole time. The audience was really close up and the style required not totally faking it, so somebody recommended a good fake coke susbstitute that didn't burn or damage anything. Seems like it was a vitamin powder of some sort, I'll find out the exact name.

They did use powdered milk in Blow as somebody mentions below... but if you have to do much of it I think it can produce terrible diarrhea. :x

Anyway, fake it if you can, but if somebody has to really snort something there are safe substitutes. (The play ran 4 nights a week for 2 months, no nose-related injuries.)

FWIW I do have lots of footage of closeup coke snorting from that experience. (The classic cheesy shot from under the glass table, etc.) Maybe you can just use some of my shots! ;)
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

Nigel wrote:Vitamin B.

I do snort Altoid's Mints from time to time. So they would work too. They make for some very minty breathing...

Good Luck
Nigel,

I do hope you're kidding about the altoids. Seems like the particulate matter from a crushed up altoid would be very sharp and caustic, nothing like coke and rough on the nasal passages.

At least I hope you're crushing them up before snorting! 8O

;)

c.
paul

Post by paul »

SuperDuper8 wrote:Why not use real coke?

P
It will become too costly then, I also do not know if the actors will appreciate... I would rather buy some extra film for the money...

nigel wrote:I do snort Altoid's Mints from time to time. So they would work too. They make for some very minty breathing...
I read a story recently where a streetdealer sold crushed mints for coke; I will try it my self soem day.
ccortez wrote:The last play I directed required both actors to snort fake coke the whole time. The audience was really close up and the style required not totally faking it, so somebody recommended a good fake coke susbstitute that didn't burn or damage anything. Seems like it was a vitamin powder of some sort, I'll find out the exact name.

They did use powdered milk in Blow as somebody mentions below... but if you have to do much of it I think it can produce terrible diarrhea. icon_mad.gif
Milkpowder doesn't attract me much either. i think I will go for the vitamin stuff. Can you get it in any drugstore? I suppose I will have to do some pills crushing then. I will only need 4 lines or so. I think anybody could handle that.

Thanks for the input guys!

Paul
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Yes, the Altoids are crushed up. It started as a joke with a friend of mine and then after we tried it we thought that it was good enough to do again and the rest is history.

Good Luck
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

I´ve used sugar ground to a fine powder as a substitute.

Interesting to hear about the powdered milk..