Tranfer experiences with Pro8mm

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

I agree FSFT is really good. haven't tried Yale or Cinepost yet, but heard they are pretty good, rates are $175 per hr. can anyone comment on these labs?
Alex

Post by Alex »

"We use over $8000 worth of equipment to process your film."

I think they meant transfer.

It misguided to master on DVD, definitely should be making a mini-dv back up.
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

Don't know if it's been mentioned here, but Bono Labs lists S-8, plus they can do HD scans straight to a hard drive. haven't found any prices though :? http://www.bonolabs.com/
onsuper8

Post by onsuper8 »

We've got a list under Telecine/Flying Spot on http://www.onsuper8.org which list all the companies (internationally) that we have found internationally that have a web presence for pro-telecine services. Those you've mentioned are all listed, but there are others. If anyone knows of any further, please share!

I too had some problems a few years ago with a similar transfer with the ebgining of the reel excellent, but by the end washed out colours and poor image quality. A case of an inattentive (or inexperienced) operator methinks.
Number6

using Yale and Bono

Post by Number6 »

I found HiDef Pricing on Bono's website, and the tape transfer isn't too bad. Makes me think I could have Yale process the film and then send it over to Bono for a HiDef transfer.

Bono charges $82 for 1/2 an hour of film, whereas moviestuff charges $20 a roll. 1/2 hour for moviestuff (assuming 18 fps) works out to over $200 that way. But then what about us fellows who plan to shoot in 24 fps? Do we still get charged by the half hour by bono? Do we still get charged by the roll by moviestuff?

Details, details.
"The probability of one individual being right, increases in direct proportion to the intensity with which others are trying to prove him wrong." -- James Mason
ccortez

Re: using Yale and Bono

Post by ccortez »

Number6 wrote:I found HiDef Pricing on Bono's website, and the tape transfer isn't too bad. Makes me think I could have Yale process the film and then send it over to Bono for a HiDef transfer.

Bono charges $82 for 1/2 an hour of film, whereas moviestuff charges $20 a roll. 1/2 hour for moviestuff (assuming 18 fps) works out to over $200 that way. But then what about us fellows who plan to shoot in 24 fps? Do we still get charged by the half hour by bono? Do we still get charged by the roll by moviestuff?

Details, details.
I just dug for 20 minutes on the Bono site and did not find any pricing information. :? It does say that they charge by running time, and i think they only have a 1/4 hour minimum. If your price of $82 per 1/2 hour is correct, they provide the services they describe in their brochure, and they're competitive in quality, they're gonna put everybody out of business. But in this business, that's a lot of if's. ;)
Santo

Re: not so pro 8...

Post by Santo »

alan doyle wrote: i am not really sure what exactly you are paying for..
you are paying for their hype and advertising.

it is a goddamn shame kodak doesn't wake the fuck up and put v2 100t in super 8 carts IMMEDIATELY and hurry the hell up and put 100d ektachrome reversal in those things as well. are they asleep at the wheel? why the fuck aren't they capitalizing PDQ on their the only film growth sectors out there right now? ie: motion picture stocks and in particular super 8, the format that refuses to die and is only getting stronger? It is only a few throws of the switches and they are opening huge possibilities in a format where the users are chomping at the bit...
Number6

Post by Number6 »

The price list is in the top left corner of their main page, but here's a direct link to the one I was looking at:

http://www.bonolabs.com/hdpricelist.pdf

Why don't they slap more formats in the can? I don't know, but having worked in a lab before I know it isn't just a few "throws of a switch." They have potentially miles of stock running through those machines, and to cut it down to size and stuff it into those little boxes represents a major rebuilding of some of the mechanisms.

When only two companies are still making cameras in our size . . . I guess they still don't see the money in it.
"The probability of one individual being right, increases in direct proportion to the intensity with which others are trying to prove him wrong." -- James Mason
MovieStuff

Re: using Yale and Bono

Post by MovieStuff »

Number6 wrote: But then what about us fellows who plan to shoot in 24 fps? Do we still get charged by the half hour by bono? Do we still get charged by the roll by moviestuff?
Yes, we charge a flat rate of $20 per 50 feet. If you have a lot of film to transfer at one time, then you are best to send your footage to a really good Rank house like Flying Spot. They are going to do a terrific job. However if, like most film makers, you have a roll or two at a time spread out across months as the project continues, then paying $20 a roll is more cost efficient, especially if you need to see your footage as you go and can't wait until you have it all in one lump to send to a qualified 8mm Rank house. So it depends on your schedule and budget.

Roger
http://www.moviestuff.tv
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

Santo wrote:
alan doyle wrote: i am not really sure what exactly you are paying for..
you are paying for their hype and advertising.

it is a goddamn shame kodak doesn't wake the fuck up and put v2 100t in super 8 carts IMMEDIATELY and hurry the hell up and put 100d ektachrome reversal in those things as well. are they asleep at the wheel? why the fuck aren't they capitalizing PDQ on their the only film growth sectors out there right now? ie: motion picture stocks and in particular super 8, the format that refuses to die and is only getting stronger? It is only a few throws of the switches and they are opening huge possibilities in a format where the users are chomping at the bit...
Front page of living section in local paper this week announces Film Making as the new MBA, says film is a new language thats growing fast nation wide. Something may have to give soon.
reflex

Post by reflex »

T-Scan wrote:Front page of living section in local paper this week announces Film Making as the new MBA, says film is a new language thats growing fast nation wide. Something may have to give soon.
Great. This means that every numbskull graduating from University who would previously have disposed of him/herself for a year or two by getting an MBA will now insist on getting a filmmaking MFA.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Front page of living section in local paper this week announces Film Making as the new MBA, says film is a new language thats growing fast nation wide. Something may have to give soon.
Well, well. Makes mine from a whole eight years ago seem ahead of the curve. But . . .

“A new language”? “Growing fast”?

Didn’t Eisenstein, Pudovkin, Griffin, and – at the extreme end – Hitchcock, pretty much lay those tracks down 50 to 100 years ago? Face it, haven’t we all just been playing in their living rooms since then? I can understand if they’d want media experts, but why film particularly? Do you have the rest of that article? I need more info!

Now, as to you, Moviestuff . . .

Do you have a better process than Bono? And what do you know about creativevideoscrapbooking.com? Did you sell them their stuff? I’m seriously considering you or them (or, now, Bono) for a project that I’m doing in April and I need as many technical specs as possible.

Thanks.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Well,

I'm an idiot.

So far I've determined that Bonolabs' $82 price is just for a single TAPE. No wonder that seemed cheap. Wishful thinking made me see what I wanted to see.

Still like to hear from you, though, Moviestuff.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Number6 wrote: Now, as to you, Moviestuff . . .

Do you have a better process than Bono?
I do not know what Bono uses but it would appear it is capable of hi-def, so it is probably fairly sophisticated. We scan frame by frame using the DV8 Sniper-Pro and I'd like to think our results are pretty good for standard def. We do not offer hi-def. You can read about test that PC Magazine did with us some time back here:

http://www.moviestuff.tv/whats_new.html

Again, if you have a lot of footage, sending it someplace like Flying Spot is going to offer the absolute best results for the money. But I feel our process is pretty good and my wife, Annette, takes a lot of care with the color and density on each shot. Of course, you can also send in for a free test transfer, which is really the best way to judge for yourself. An order form can be found at the bottom of this page:

http://www.moviestuff.tv/transfers.html
Number6 wrote:And what do you know about creativevideoscrapbooking.com? Did you sell them their stuff?
The name does not sound familiar but, then again, we log by the person's name and not the company. It is possible that we sold them equipment. Almost anyone listing frame by frame scanning is using our stuff at this point, though it is possible they could have built their own version (a few companies have). However, if we did sell them the equipment, that is no guarantee of a particular level of transfer quality, just as no two Rank houses using indentical equipment will offer the same results. So much has to do with the operator, what kind of camera they are using, maintenance, calibration, eye for color, etc. I'm not sure how many serious film projects a business called "creativevideoscrapbooking" might have handled, regardless of the equipment used. I don't mean anything bad by that statement but, realistically, you should ask them for a test since their name suggests an emphasis on home movies and not film productions. I think it is a cinch they do not do hi-def.

Again, you are welcome to send a 50 foot roll to us for a free test transfer. You can use that as a comparison for anyone that you feel might be using our equipment.

ONE NOTE: Not sure what you schedule is but we will be shutting down our telecine operation in a couple of weeks while we move that aspect of our business to Utopia, Texas. There we will be setting up multiple units for higher volume, including 9.5mm transfers. Contact me off-list if you need anything. Our number's on the website.

Roger
http://www.moviestuff.tv
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

They never mentioned formats, but i assume they were referring to miniDV NLE ect.. about how even gangs are producing DVD's to scare court wittnesses, was one extreme.