What should we call the widescreen version of super 8?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

What name would you choose to describe the widescreen Super 8 format?

Hyper 8
2%
Super Duper 8
9%
Super 8 Pro
2%
Pan8
20%
Super 8 Xtra
15%
Wide 8
33%
Ultra 8
6%
Super-G8
No votes
Wide Super 8
13%

Total votes: 54

Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

Agreed - maybe I misunderstood his reply to me and it rubbed me the wrong way. And actually I wish you did not reply so fast because I logged in to delete my post, but now it is too late since you made sure to quote all of my post :D
My apologies to Mitch.
MovieStuff wrote:
Lunar07 wrote:You know something Mitchie boy - you remind me of those students who used to work with me long ago in a Physics lab. They were geeky, and smart alecky, and they were good with building gadgets. And they thought everything was silly and they took everything they heard with sarcasm. But they were lonely, and I always felt bad for them. Because basically they did not have a life.
You see Mitchie boy - I do feel bad for you, because in everything you said - I am certain that the only thing you are good at in life is filing the camera gate, and even then, at the one thing you are good at, you are silly!
This seems a bit harsh, don't you think? I mean, what's in a name and why is it so important to you? Call it what you want, just as you don't need our okay to name your dog. The same applies to Mitch. He doesn't need anyone's approval for what he calls it. I don't see what sort of transgression Mitch has made that deserves such dissing. This discussion should be fun, not insulting.

Roger
reflex

Post by reflex »

MovieStuff wrote:
reflex wrote: She looked at me to see if I was serious, and then burst out laughing, "What an awful name!"
But she'll always remember it. Sometimes marketing isn't about what sounds the coolest but what is most memorable.
I agree that its memorable, but most high-technology products don't have silly names. I doubt that there will be a Snipe-o-tronic or WorkyPrinty released anytime soon. :wink:
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

reflex wrote:
MovieStuff wrote:
reflex wrote: She looked at me to see if I was serious, and then burst out laughing, "What an awful name!"
But she'll always remember it. Sometimes marketing isn't about what sounds the coolest but what is most memorable.
I agree that its memorable, but most high-technology products don't have silly names. I doubt that there will be a Snipe-o-tronic or WorkyPrinty released anytime soon. :wink:
Hah! That's funny. Perhaps with all the dander getting up around here we should call it "SnootiVision" or "Argue-Scope". How about "Debate-O-Matic". Most any one of those seems to be more descriptive of format acceptance than "Super Duper 8". ;)

Roger
Santo

Post by Santo »

Mitch Perkins wrote:
Well, Mr. Wizard of Intelligence, let me clarify; I chose the *name* Super Duper 8 because it is silly. Okay then? The *name*.
Watch out though; you're next...

http://www.scholastic.com/captainunderp ... hanger.htm

Ever heard of a little company nobody takes seriously called "Google"? How 'bout "Yahoo!"? In Canada, we have BMO ("bee-moe", Bank of Montreal).
I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "this whole thing is silly", but if you are refering to life in general, yes, I am saying it is silly.

Mitch
Yahoo! and Google were created by techies when pretty much only techies had the internet. So they established a market share (and pretty much wrote all the rules with regards to) the intenet in which they quickly became insurmountable. After all, you get in on the ground floor of the biggest of all growth industries and offer something pretty much nobody else is offering, to what was then a highly captive and specialized audience, you can call your business Yahoo! or Whoopdiedoo! or whatever you want. And likely because the internet was a fun discovery experience for the general public who followed, Yahoo!, already established and offering great service with a stupid name they remembered was okay. Everything was new. New rules apply.

Film is not new. Film formats are not new. Your argument holds no water.

Bank of Montreal is not a silly name. There's no connection between calling it BMO and thinking they named it silly on purpose first. I has a formal name.

Naming lighting equipment Mickey Mole was fine in the little world of film sets and techies slugging out 14 hour days. Nobody is going to, or ever promoted, their film as being "lit with Mighty Moles!". It might get a laugh, but nobody would care if they saw it unless it was a cartoon maybe.

You didn't come up with a silly name for your film. It's actually a pretty good name. And the DVD art/design is pretty well done. Looking at the packaging, I can take it seriously. If you wrote "shot in super duper 8!" across the box, I'd never watch it because suddenly an otherwise well-packaged product looks like it was made in somebody's backyard by a bunch of teenagers who don't take themselves or their filmmaking seriously.

When I heard that term I thought of Superduperman!, the MAD comic story by Kurtzman and Wally Wood. Terrific classic comic satire. And now I think: "You know, some people take super 8 and Superman pretty sincerely, though many do not. Depends. But nobody would take something called Superduperman or Super Duper 8 seriously. Obviously it's making fun of something in pretty much anybody's mind."
reflex

Post by reflex »

MovieStuff wrote:Hah! That's funny. Perhaps with all the dander getting up around here we should call it "SnootiVision" or "Argue-Scope". How about "Debate-O-Matic". Most any one of those seems to be more descriptive of format acceptance than "Super Duper 8". ;)
SnootiVision has a certain ring to it! Now if only we can add elements of the "Japanese vs. European" quality debate, we should be able to start WW III. :lol:
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

[quote="Lunar07"]Agreed - maybe I misunderstood his reply to me and it rubbed me the wrong way. And actually I wish you did not reply so fast because I logged in to delete my post, but now it is too late since you made sure to quote all of my post :D
My apologies to Mitch.

If you like, we all three could remove *all* these nasty words. I thought it said "you cannot delete posts from this forum", but if it's possible, I say let's do it; why archive angst?
My replies to you have been dismissive because you asked a question and attacked me without waiting for the reply. Here it is; No, I do not think Super 8 is silly, nor do I think producing and marketing a feature in the format is silly. Super Duper 8 is a silly name, but making the most of the tools at one's disposal is not silly.
What comes after "super"? Technically, "hyper". Check it out -

http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-en ... r&hl=hyper

"Hyper" is simply a little too hyped for my taste. Like, "Xtreme", dude! C'est la vie.
I am impressed that you worked in a physics lab, no joke; I love that stuff. A little confused about your reference to students being sarcastic -

"Oh sure, ferrrrrmions! Riiiight!" Was it like that?

IMHO, "geeky" is a word fatuous people use to describe those who value knowledge, just as "quirky" is a word humourless people use to describe humour they don't get.

Mitch
FILM-THURSO

Post by FILM-THURSO »

Hey Mitch I detect a hint of "bitch" in your quoting me. I can only think that you've got no-one to help you make your movies. Are you all alone?
Film-Thurso is a group of people you know so to say "we" is entirely okay.

Take a tip: Listen to a football fan talking about his/her team- they will refer to the team not as a seperate entity which he/she supports but will say "we". e.g. we have down well this season, 0r, our lads did badly at the weekend. etc. Football fans never speparate themselves from the team they support- I don't separate myself from my film group.

I guess there was nothing else you could you pick up on! :D 8O
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

FILM-THURSO wrote:Hey Mitch I detect a hint of "bitch" in your quoting me.

[mitch]
>> Pot. Kettle. Black. Mr. "one in the eye..."

I can only think that you've got no-one to help you make your movies. Are you all alone?
Film-Thurso is a group of people you know so to say "we" is entirely okay.

Take a tip: Listen to a football fan talking about his/her team- they will refer to the team not as a seperate entity which he/she supports but will say "we". e.g. we have down well this season, 0r, our lads did badly at the weekend. etc. Football fans never speparate themselves from the team they support- I don't separate myself from my film group.

I guess there was nothing else you could you pick up on! :D 8O
[mitch]
>>So, by "we ALL", you meant *your* film company. Great! You invented it. Note we did not apply for a patent. I will check our website for misleading proprietary claims, and remove them if they exist. Can we let it rest now?

Mitch
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Mitch Perkins wrote:Great! You invented it. Note we did not apply for a patent. I will check our website for misleading proprietary claims, and remove them if they exist. Can we let it rest now?

Mitch
Sorry, but I know someone older than you also named "Mitch" so you're not the first. You can no longer use that name unless you get permission, I believe. You might consider "Super-Mitch" or, perhaps, "SuperDuper-Mitch", if you want to stand out in the market. I would consider "Wide-Mitch", "Ultra-Mitch" or even "Hyper-Mitch" but those sound too fat, egotistical or manic to me. ;)

Roger
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Santo wrote:
Mitch Perkins wrote:
Well, Mr. Wizard of Intelligence, let me clarify; I chose the *name* Super Duper 8 because it is silly. Okay then? The *name*.
Watch out though; you're next...

http://www.scholastic.com/captainunderp ... hanger.htm

Ever heard of a little company nobody takes seriously called "Google"? How 'bout "Yahoo!"? In Canada, we have BMO ("bee-moe", Bank of Montreal).
I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "this whole thing is silly", but if you are refering to life in general, yes, I am saying it is silly.

Mitch
[santo]
Yahoo! and Google were created by techies when pretty much only techies had the internet.

[mitch]
>>For the full story:

http://www.wordorigins.org/wordorg.htm

"In 1940, Mathematician Edward Kasner asked his nephew, nine-year-old Milton Sirotta, to come up with a name for such a big number. Sirotta came up with googol and also suggested the term googolplex for an even bigger number. Kasner assigned that term the value of ten to the googol power."

The number is 10^100. The name is silly.

[santo]
So they established a market share (and pretty much wrote all the rules with regards to) the intenet in which they quickly became insurmountable. After all, you get in on the ground floor of the biggest of all growth industries and offer something pretty much nobody else is offering, to what was then a highly captive and specialized audience, you can call your business Yahoo! or Whoopdiedoo! or whatever you want. And likely because the internet was a fun discovery experience for the general public who followed, Yahoo!, already established and offering great service with a stupid name they remembered was okay. Everything was new. New rules apply.

Film is not new. Film formats are not new. Your argument holds no water.

[mitch]
>> The argument holds until you add the spurious restriction, "new".

[santo]
Bank of Montreal is not a silly name. There's no connection between calling it BMO and thinking they named it silly on purpose first. I has a formal name.

[mitch]
>>*They* shortened it from the respectable, "Bank of Montreal", to BMO, which they pronounce, "bee-moe", in their ads. Silly.

[santo]
Naming lighting equipment Mickey Mole was fine in the little world of film sets and techies slugging out 14 hour days. Nobody is going to, or ever promoted, their film as being "lit with Mighty Moles!". It might get a laugh, but nobody would care if they saw it unless it was a cartoon maybe.

[mitch]
>>Your point? Nowhere on our package does it refr to the name of the format in which the film was originated. Why would it?

[santo]
You didn't come up with a silly name for your film. It's actually a pretty good name. And the DVD art/design is pretty well done. Looking at the packaging, I can take it seriously. If you wrote "shot in super duper 8!" across the box, I'd never watch it because suddenly an otherwise well-packaged product looks like it was made in somebody's backyard by a bunch of teenagers who don't take themselves or their filmmaking seriously.

When I heard that term I thought of Superduperman!, the MAD comic story by Kurtzman and Wally Wood. Terrific classic comic satire. And now I think: "You know, some people take super 8 and Superman pretty sincerely, though many do not. Depends. But nobody would take something called Superduperman or Super Duper 8 seriously. Obviously it's making fun of something in pretty much anybody's mind."
[mitch]
>>We have articles in Playback and In Camera. Whoopdeedoo, sure, but they *did* take us seriously, so you are empirically observed to be wrong.
BTW, despite the picture of yourself on display beside your post, I took your post seriously. Why? Because of the content. Starting to get the big picture?

Mitch
PS - Sorry for the awkward formatting; I'm used to Google Groups, and have yet to master proper cutting and pasting in this forum.
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

MovieStuff wrote:
Mitch Perkins wrote:Great! You invented it. Note we did not apply for a patent. I will check our website for misleading proprietary claims, and remove them if they exist. Can we let it rest now?

Mitch
Sorry, but I know someone older than you also named "Mitch" so you're not the first. You can no longer use that name unless you get permission, I believe. You might consider "Super-Mitch" or, perhaps, "SuperDuper-Mitch", if you want to stand out in the market. I would consider "Wide-Mitch", "Ultra-Mitch" or even "Hyper-Mitch" but those sound too fat, egotistical or manic to me. ;)

Roger
Sir, in future you will refer to me as Itchy-Gitchy-Goomee, or not at all. Maybe Inky-Dinky Schnitzel Hauss is okay too. I can't decide!
Your post was hilarious, thank you.

Mitch
Santo

Post by Santo »

"Starting to get the big picture?" -- mitch

Yes I am. Reading your posts, it's crystal clear now exactly why your film is what it is from an artistic and technical standpoint.
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

Santo wrote:"Starting to get the big picture?" -- mitch

Yes I am. Reading your posts, it's crystal clear now exactly why your film is what it is from an artistic and technical standpoint.
Ahhhh, so you don't like the *moooovie*! Why didn't you just say so, instead of posting all those flimsy "arguments"?
Art is a process which results in an artifact. It'll speak to some, not to others. This way, even Black Velvet Elvises find walls in good homes.
What, me worry?

Mitch
reflex

Post by reflex »

Mitch Perkins wrote:
Santo wrote:"Starting to get the big picture?" -- mitch

Ahhhh, so you don't like the *moooovie*! Why didn't you just say so, instead of posting all those flimsy "arguments"?
Art is a process which results in an artifact. It'll speak to some, not to others. This way, even Black Velvet Elvises find walls in good homes.
What, me worry?

Mitch
I liked the film, and you're a nice guy in person, but you're behaving like an absolute ass here.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Santo wrote:Reading your posts, it's crystal clear now exactly why your film is what it is from an artistic and technical standpoint.
If only we had the opportunity to judge the artistic and technical merits of your own film work, Santo. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to base it on your silly name and silly photo..... ;)

Roger