Beaulieu 6008 S

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

gurra83

Beaulieu 6008 S

Post by gurra83 »

I may be able too get may hands on a Beaulieu 6008 S.

How good is this camera really compared to say a Elmo 1012 xl.

The seller says this camera is totaly unused. Im waiting for more info from the seller. What can a camera like this be worth.
monobath

Post by monobath »

You should be aware that there are four different models of 6008. There is the 6008S, 6008Pro, the 6008S Digital, and the 6008Pro Digital. I'm not really conversant with all of the distinctions between these versions of 6008, but I'm sure you can discover it by searching this forum or googling. Caveat Emptor. Know what you're buying so you don't get taken. If it is really unused and not broken, that would make it an unusual find, and therefore worth a bit more than the average selling price for a well used one of the same type.

I have a Beaulieu 6008S with the short 6.9mm to 55mm zoom lens made by Chinon. This is the low end of the 6008 model line for both the camera and lens. Nevertheless, it is a great camera, and the one that I find myself using most often. The viewfinder is excellent, bright and easily focussed. It has a standard non-variable shutter angle. The camera can shoot single frame, and it also has a builtin intervalometer, which is a very handy feature for time lapse shooting. The built-in meter seems accurate, although I mostly shoot manual with an external meter. The 6.9/55 lens is sharp and retains focus very well when zoomed. The 6-66 Schneider and the 8-64 or 7-80 Angenieux are, by all reports, better lenses than the Chinon, but if you end up with the 6.9-55 Chinon, you won't likely be disappointed with its performance. Just be aware that the particular lens on the camera contributes significantly to its worth.

I also have an Elmo 1012xls. I like it too, but it is a very different camera from the Beaulieu 6008. The main difference is that it has a 220 degree low light shutter. The 1012xls has a very good non-interchangeable zoom lens, but it seems a tad softer to me than the Chinon lens on my Beaulieu. That might also partly be a function of the 220 degree shutter. Focus is easy, the viewfinder is decent but not as bright as the one on the 6008S. The meter seems accurate, although I usually use an external meter. The camera has a single frame cable release socket, but no intervalometer.

I think they are both good cameras. I tend to grab the Beaulieu when I have plenty of light and want the sharpest images, or when I need the intervalometer. I select the Elmo when I'm going to be shooting indoors with available light, or in any low light situation. I also tend to grab the Elmo (or my windup Russian Quarz) if I think I might end up subjecting the camera to rough handling. The Elmo cost me a lot less than the Beaulieu, and it would be easier for me to replace it if I broke it.
gurra83

Batteries

Post by gurra83 »

The seller claims that the camera has been laying at his work more or less untouched since 1982.
Im waiting for an answer from him if the manual comes whit the camera.

How About the batteries for the camera?? What kind of batteries does it use??

Im getting second thougts about buying the camera. Im not really a pro user....yet. The seller wants 2100 swedish krowns. Thats about 300$.

Maybe i should get a cheeper "pro" camera and spend my money on film instead.

Of course if it´s untouched and has the manual and everything maybe it´s not such a bad deal.
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

If the camera is mint then I would say that it is definitely worth it for that price - also if you are in Sweden you could have it looked at by Bjorn Andersson. I am based in the UK and he has done excellent service work for me.

Matt
Birmingham UK.
http://www.wells-photography.co.uk
Avatar: Kenneth Moore (left) with producers (centre) discussing forthcoming film to be financed by my grandfather (right) C.1962
jimmyking

Post by jimmyking »

Gurra,
It takes normal AA mignon batteries.
It's easy to build a powerpack too. I've built one using racing car batteries.
I would say, go for it! 300 $ for a working mint condition 6008s is a very very good price!
monobath

Post by monobath »

$300 or even double that price (in the US market) would be very good for that camera and an original supplied lens in working condition. Do you know what lens it has? What about other accessories.

Check eBay prices for comparable (that is, pristine) 6008S cameras for comparison. I have seen bare 6008S Beaulieus with the 6.9-55 lens and no other accessories sell for nearly $600 on the US eBay. If it hasn't been used much since 1982, you should expect to have it CLA'd, and it would be worth doing.

Batteries are not the standard 1.5v AA. It takes six 1.2v NiCad or NiMH rechargeable AA batteries. My manual says the original supplied batteries were 6 AA size R-6 type NiCad 1.2v batteries. I use rechargeable 1.2v NiMH.
aj

Re: Beaulieu 6008 S

Post by aj »

gurra83 wrote:I may be able too get may hands on a Beaulieu 6008 S.

How good is this camera really compared to say a Elmo 1012 xl.

The seller says this camera is totaly unused. Im waiting for more info from the seller. What can a camera like this be worth.
Just put in 6 AA in the clip and give it a test spin. Listen for the sound while it runs. If it has a low pur and a constant speed. Just haggle it to Kr 1800 and buy it or otherwise give me the address :) If it has other accesoiries or original boxing: definitely buy it.

If it aint broken then don't fix it. I.e do not spend another Kr 2000 on mystic clean-ups or collimations. Test it using a film and a tripod. See what comes out.
Kind regards,

André
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

aj wrote: If it aint broken then don't fix it. I.e do not spend another Kr 2000 on mystic clean-ups or collimations. Test it using a film and a tripod. See what comes out.

I think that myself and AJ will disagree here.

My policy is that a super8 camera is a mechanical piece of equipment and as such it needs maintenance. To suggest it does not is crazy. It is exactly like saying "I have a mint condition 1982 Volkswagen golf - unused in storage for 15 years - but I'm not going to bother servicing it before using it."

Before you start using the camera with expensive film you want to be sure it is in perfect working order - why risk it? You also want to be sure you are not damaging the camera itself by running it with poor lubrication etc.

The lubrication in these cameras simply can not last that long and ceases to be operative.

I would never risk wasting my film. Also when you view your results, if there is a problem it is easier to rule out the camera as the source if you know it has been properly adjusted and serviced.

Matt
Birmingham UK.
Avatar: Kenneth Moore (left) with producers (centre) discussing forthcoming film to be financed by my grandfather (right) C.1962
aj

Post by aj »

I own and drive drive one car of over 20 years old and for 20 years. It needs regular maintenance because it has a combustion engine which is a violent way of generating power which produces a lot of dirty gasses and pulsating influxes on the bearings. The wheels and axis have to confront bumpy roads and many kilometers per year. The chassis needs to bear some 1000 kg. The bodywork is constantly out in the wheater.

None is applicable to a camera which lies in a cupboard for some 20 years and probably exposed only 10 films. :) Ie was used for 30 minutes.

BTW No maintenace on the car was needed on the clock, meters, mirrors, windows doorlocks etcetc. The tires needed replacement like 6 times. The timing-belt was replaced twice. And many more wearing out parts.
Kind regards,

André
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

Aj, Lubrication does not last 20 years.

Are you suggetsing that I should go out and shoot critical shots without first ensuring my equipment is in perfect working order?

A local band have asked me to make a documentary for them - some of this will be 16mm. I'm going to look pretty stupid if I turn up with unreliable gear - and even more stupid if the quality of the footage is compromised or unusable because I did not ensure my equipment was in perfect working order.

Get into the real world, and get realisitic.

Matt
Birmingham UK.
unxetas

Post by unxetas »

aj wrote: Test it using a film and a tripod. See what comes out.
I guess that's why he added that comment.. I mean, most of us will gladly use 30 year old cameras without servicing or maintenance, simply because it's not easily available to the cameras we use.. why would beaulieus be any different?

If he was buying the camera to shoot something important or some kind of job, then I guess it would make *some* sense to spend that kind of money right away.. but as he said he wasn't a pro user (yet), I guess it's cheaper to spend 20 bucks on a K40 cart and see what comes out.. he may still have to service it, but I would say there's a big chance that the results will be good enough to save whatever high amount of money that would cost to have it serviced and collimated..
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

unxetas wrote:
I guess that's why he added that comment.. I mean, most of us will gladly use 30 year old cameras without servicing or maintenance, simply because it's not easily available to the cameras we use.. why would beaulieus be any different?

If he was buying the camera to shoot something important or some kind of job, then I guess it would make *some* sense to spend that kind of money right away.. but as he said he wasn't a pro user (yet), I guess it's cheaper to spend 20 bucks on a K40 cart and see what comes out.. he may still have to service it, but I would say there's a big chance that the results will be good enough to save whatever high amount of money that would cost to have it serviced and collimated..
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with not servicing/collimating etc you camera if you don't want to.

What I am saying is that I disagree with Aj in that he asserts that there is no benefit from performing maintainence - which is wrong.

Regardless of experience and proficiency, I would suggest that it is always a good idea to ensure the equipment is in good working order otherwise you may not be getting full benefit of that equipment and it may make it harder to judge your own results - "was the mis-focus the camera or me?" You also run the risk of wasting film.

Matt
Birmingham UK.