which eye?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

soundboy

which eye?

Post by soundboy »

Ok here is one of the more stupid questions to be postes recently.

Which eye do u use to look through the viewfinder? I'm right handed but feel more comfortable using my left eye... does this make me goofy eyed?
It's not the size that counts, its what u do with it!
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

You need to figure out what eye you are dominant with--To do this....

With both eyes open point at an object that is far away(Covering it up). Then without moving your finger close your right eye. If you can see the object you are "Right-Eyed".

Good Luck
super8man

Post by super8man »

I love it - a great office water coller topic - BTW, I am left eyed dominant.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Jam

Post by Jam »

It is an interesting topic I think!

For many cases, I suggest that using right eye is better, as you could still use your lift eye to look around. I always do that, and I found that is much safer, while you are following an object.

:wink: Cheers
Jam
thebrowniecameraguy

Post by thebrowniecameraguy »

You know, this is werid to me. I am a college student, and my parents and grandparents "suggested" that I take an aptitude test. Well, this told me that I am supposed to be left handed because I am right eyed. It told me that I should not in anyway be musically inclined, (I am a piano freak, as well as clarinet, flute, bassoon etc...) Also, it said I should be left eyed left handed, they actually contradicted themselves!

Anyway, my point was :?, I am right eye dominant, I use my right eye to look through the viewfinder, although my left works just as well, so if I ever had my right eye damaged I wont be totally screwed.

But, still the Aptitude test people still cant understand why I can play a musical instrument or how I am ambedextrious. I didnt put this up there but they tested me to see which way I grabbed something, they didnt understand why I couldnt just use one hand, (I said "but It makes life easier to be able to use both hands", they told my mom that I would be an inadaquate anything unless I decided to use only one hand to do most anything.

Dont mess with those seriously left brained people, they just have no sense of humor, or sense of what someone else is. Now, they might now you better if they got to disect you!

Cheers,
Jordan
I'm back, I'm back- thebrowniecameraguy is back! I still have my Brownie 8mm Turret f/1.9! Time to play!
shralp

Post by shralp »

Hmmm interesting... Actually, if you were left eyed that would make you "regular" eyed and right eyed would be considered "goofy" eyed.

Sorry just had to interject a little board sports angle on this whole thing, (those in the know will get it...)

I prefer to shoot with my right eye. Not just because its comfortable but because it allows me to see what is entering from frame left, a good thing to use when shooting action. My 2 cents.
MovieMaker

Post by MovieMaker »

I can do it with both eyes 8O but mostly I´m right eye dominant.

The only camera I´m always looking trough the viewfinder with my left eye is the Canon DS8 because of their construction where my nose always gets in the way....

MovieMaker
Angus

Post by Angus »

I am definately left-eye dominant, and have been since I first picked up a camera at the age of around four.

I think that might be because I was copying my dad, and of course to me it seemed he was putting his camera to the left side of his face...so I did the same!

Doesn't make any difference with still cameras but with cine and video cameras it can. When I was choosing my first super 8 camera in a dealer's shop back in early 1987 I turned down the Canon 310XL and a small Nizo because I simply couldn't see comfortably through the viewfinder....hence I ended up with the Elmo Super 110 :)

I have tried looking with my right eye, particularly on some video equipment...I just have to force myself to do it and find it very difficult.

As for the rest, I am musically inclined (voilin to a very high standard) and more or less ambidextrous - the only thing I cannot do with my left hand is write neatly.
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

Right eye for me. But I change sometimes.

sunrise
Taqi

Post by Taqi »

I use the eye which is open.
what what
soundboy

Post by soundboy »

Angus wrote:
As for the rest, I am musically inclined (voilin to a very high standard) and more or less ambidextrous - the only thing I cannot do with my left hand is write neatly.
I play lead guitar, use to play in bands before my job and kids took up most of my time..

Its good to see there is plenty of left eyed people, some camerman friends were teasing me cause I use my left eye.
It's not the size that counts, its what u do with it!
jobes

Post by jobes »

xxx