Royal Mail screw balls

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jobes

Royal Mail screw balls

Post by jobes »

i posted two mailers at the same time,i got 1 film back fine :D but where is the other one? oh here it is!! turned up a couple of days after i posted it,they sent it to ME! and not the kodak lab address below where the stamp goes??????????????
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

This has happened several times to me also...

sunrise
BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX »

Can't really blame the Royal Mail, the United States Postal Service has done it to me at least twice!

Since then I always add "From:" and "To:" in red felt tip to help them along. So far, so good.
Angus

Post by Angus »

Happens occasionally...although they are supposed to use the address on the same side of the mailer as the stamps sometimes this doesn't happen.

I am not sure if this is because the sorters these days aren't so familiar with cine films or if it's due to the sorting machines occasionally making mistakes...since most sorting is automated these days.

Back in the days when Agfa was still in the cine business I regularly got my films returned the next day, or two days later...unprocessed of course! The Agfa people advised me to put "From" above my own address, and they then affixed a film ID label over this on return.

Kodak however have told me they prefer not to have "from" above the return address because they don't put ID stickers on the mailers and it can confuse the post office.

Since I re-started using super 8 in 2000 I've only had one cartridge returned in that manner so I think things are much better...either that or the Luton sorting office is more clued up than the Stevenage one!
synthnut

Post by synthnut »

Hia,
I find the best thing is to put "TO:" in big letters on Kodaks address and them when it comes back they chop thap part off, so no issues about it saying the wrong thing. Seems to have worked since I had a few just bounce straight back through the post...

Keep shooting the "reel" stuff!
Ben
jobes

Post by jobes »

on the subject did anyone see that channel 4 doc about the post office? it all starts to make sense when i think about that program
Old Uncle Barry

Post by Old Uncle Barry »

I just put the return address on the mailers but send multiples in bulk in a padded evelope.The postage is cheaper too sending this way.Furthermore,I get them back in bulk too...............just lucky I suppose.
Oh! yes,this applies to 16mm too. :D
Astro

Mailers

Post by Astro »

I post them inside another padded plain envelope with large print for the Kodak Address.
But still my Honeymoon film was lost by Kodak sa...what gives.
Astro
..partly truth, partly fiction, a walking contradiction.
jhoneycutt

Re: Mailers

Post by jhoneycutt »

Astro wrote:I post them inside another padded plain envelope with large print for the Kodak Address.
But still my Honeymoon film was lost by Kodak sa...what gives.
Astro
Well, you can always stock up on film and get married again....

jack
Canon 1014XL-S, Workprinter, Mac & PC
al77

Re: Royal Mail screw balls

Post by al77 »

jobes wrote:...turned up a couple of days after i posted it,they sent it to ME! and not the kodak lab address below where the stamp goes??????????????
Exact same thing happened to me a few months ago!
Royal mail really must be in trouble, I've had more problems like this in the last year than in the last ten put together!
Getting letters addressed to my neighbours was happening all the time a few months ago. I read in the local paper about how a council worker found a pile of about 200 undelivered letters on a refuse tip in lancaster or morecambe, it's scary!