Glamour Shots

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
Nigel

Glamour Shots

Post by Nigel »

So I am doing another job that involves a Milk-Sweep and some products. The last shoot like this went well other than I needed more fake ice. I really am not looking forward to the next one at all because I feel like it is just more of the same.....

Any suggestions on ways to make a Milk-Sweep shot look different??

Thanks
jobes

Post by jobes »

Try a pro-mist filter
http://www.tiffen.com/promist.htm
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

It may need more than just PM. I can get that in Xfer along with popping the shine on the bottles. What I need are some ideas about shots....I have used Slo-Mo, Macro, Overflowing glasses, Salt, Slow zooms, Dutch Angles, Slow Pans--The whole nine-yards but in the end they always look the same. Maybe it is just the nature of the beast. Who knows??

Anymore Ideas??

Thanks for sure.
jobes

Post by jobes »

extreme lighting with a black background,try racking and moving the lights at the same time the shadows and macro movement work really well
same if you use a dolly,move the lights in opposite direction to your movement,it can look strange but if you follow it up with the macro stuff it does work
failing that hire a jib and go for low wide angle sweeps,i did something like this using a fish tank out of focus in the background it looked like a deep sea dry for wet after some post work in after effects
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Throwing in a few ideas:

Have no idea about what Milk-Sweep is but if they were not copy righted: - what about the Mars Rovers suddenly discovers your products creating formidable enthusiasm at NASA control Centre?
Certainly no water!! on Mars but plenty of Milk-Sweeps?
Final shot: All NASA controllers cheers with Milk-Sweeps? or what ever not Yes, Yes, Yesing.

Alternative: One Mars rover handles a box of your products (Milk-Sweep) to the other rover - creating - eh,- emotions? Faked or real. Imagine what proper lighting at the Mars redish surface at "sunset" while watching the "moon"?

R
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

What is a Milk-sweep?

sunrise
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

A Milk-Sweep is the white plexiglass you light to shoot products on.

Good Luck
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Possibly not contributive for your project but I am working on a project where I want to see if I can shoot som objects from below or at an angle under a clear glass plate to simulate "floating" or weightless objects. Possibly using mirrors as well. May have to invert the image to get the text right but heck.

Doing some advance research tests with a 35mm SLR and a MiniDV cam.

Nutty idea striking: What about putting the objects on a hefty Xerox machine "copying" objects with the lid open. Faboulous light effects? Paint the Xerox in a Blue screen colour + background and see what happens?

R
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
calgodot

Post by calgodot »

Blow up the product with small pyrotechnics and shoot it high-speed (slo mo).

Blood or chocolate on the sweep (a chocolate milk sweep!).

(Can you tell I've been working on horror/sfx stuff?)

Colored lighting under or behind the sweep sounds neat but may not be so neat in practice. You gotta keep the sweep milky white right?

Can you tell us what products you're shooting? Some weird Canadian soft drink? Spec work (i.e. for yourself) or for hire?

Q: What sort of "tricks" - mental or otherwise - do you experienced DPs have to get you through miserable shoots like product stuff?
"I'm the master of low expectations. I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things."—George W. Bush, June 4, 2003
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Cal--

It is more stuff for Pabst. I need to get some more variety in my shots for them and I am hitting a brick wall as to how I can get that variety. I think at this point I am going to use a PC Nikon lens and see what that will do. I like the idea of doing some shifting of the focus plane.

As for tricks to get through the shoot.....I guess this one is easy because I can drink some of the product. Otherwise I still would drink even if it weasn't a beer spot. I did some still work like this and I had the Bourbon close by at all times.

Good Luck
PS--How did that short of yours turn out??
calgodot

Post by calgodot »

Nigel wrote:It is more stuff for Pabst.
My dad used to work for Pabst, before Heileman bought them out back in the 80s. The brewery was a fun visit, but I never liked their beer. I was always more of a Guinness guy, with Harp taking a close second for my lighter moments.
PS--How did that short of yours turn out??
Still in pre. Got distracted by some paying work, then a music video. Hoping to shoot late spring. We are also trying to fold a simpler 16mm short into the production and knock out 2 films for almost the price of one. I will also be doing another music vid and 1-2 b&w S8 shorts before my 16mm project.

How's Seattle? Vancouver?
"I'm the master of low expectations. I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things."—George W. Bush, June 4, 2003
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Seattle is fine....

I was on a shoot in Idaho a few weeks back and now I am trying to get the Summer's Ducks in a row. I will be shooting in Seattle in May, Montana in June and July and Ohio in August so things may start to get kind of hectic in the next few weeks before the fire starts.

Good Luck on the work.
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Perhaps you could get a parrot in there......
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K