Kodachrome expired in mid 80's

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Kodachrome expired in mid 80's

Post by guest »

Will I get acceptable results with Kodachrome 40 film from the mid 80's that is still sealed in the foil wrapper?

thanx
Alex

Post by Alex »

Probably not. Shoot one cartridge in the conditions you plan on using the rest of the film and be creative. I'd also overexpose the film by at least one stop to make up for lost sensitivity.
robbie

Post by robbie »

im still shooting k40 expired 1987. loooks good or as good as fresh and that is good. it has been freezer or fridged since mid90s. kodachrome is durable stuff. heavy duty film.
Alex

Post by Alex »

It can be quite a headache to a film to tape transfer facility if you send them film that has been developed well past the due date unless you are there to approve the job scene by scene.

I wonder what the cost is to keep film in the freezer for 8 years? I guess one could do a total area of the freezer divided by the area the film takes up then multiply that number by the monthly cost.

I bet it adds up.

Robbie, do you expose it normally or do you overexpose by a stop just to be safe because of the age of the film?
Angus

Post by Angus »

50/50

K40 is a fairly stable stock with time, though it does depend on storage conditions.

I have exposed Kodachrome dated 1977 and got very good results, albeit about 1/2 stop less sensitive than in-date film. I've exposed film that expired in 1988 and found it shifted to the pink/magenta so much that the best I could do was transfer the film to video and make it B&W.

Depends on where it's been stored, and you simply don't know that. Heat and humidity kill film...but you probably don't know how your film has been stored.

If you have several cartridges from the same source the best thing to do is expose one, get it processed and see what the results are like....then you can perhaps adjust your shooting (aperture, filter) for the other rolls to obtain a satisfactory result.

Bottom line is don't use significantly out of date film for an important project.

I sometimes buy up outdated film (especially std 8mm) just to have a cheap play with my cameras.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

agree with angus 50/50 - my experience.

r
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
robbie

Post by robbie »

no i dont really compensate for any sensitivity loss w/ outdated stocks. but is my method when shooting reversal to underexpose by 1/3-1/2. but i agree as well to test before shooting important subjecs, etc. to bad snip test are not possible with k40 s8.
vudeja

Post by vudeja »

i bought up 10 rolls of kodachrome 64 expired in '88. interesting results to say the least. I never asked the seller but obviously the film was not frozen or refrigerated all those years. If you want to take a look I posted one of them on my site http://www.vudeja.com/blog/ permlink here http://www.vudeja.com/blog/archives/2004_03.html#000571
BK

Post by BK »

vudeja wrote:i bought up 10 rolls of kodachrome 64 expired in '88. interesting results to say the least.
Majority of music videos have that look, colour cast of the outdated K64. Hey, some nice images you have on your page!

Bill
John_Pytlak

Old Film

Post by John_Pytlak »

Unexposed film is a perishable item. Cold storage will slow the changes that can degrade the image. For fast films, ambient radiation (e.g., cosmic rays, x-ray security inspection) may cause a buildup of fog and increased graininess. Here is information about film storage:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/suppo ... care.shtml
John Pytlak
EI Customer Technical Services
Research Lab, Building 69
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-1922 USA
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

I have shot K40 from 1982, 86 and 99. The cart from 82' had been stored in room temperature. It came out all pink. However, in the areas of high illumination [in the frame] there were other colors than pink aswell.

If the results will be acceptable all depends on how the films has been stored. If it has been stored cold it might be ok. If stored in room temperature you better overexpose it a stop.
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

I have a lot of ektachrome 160 sound film. Some came out green. I'm trying to use a magenta color corecting filter for that.
John_Pytlak

Old Film

Post by John_Pytlak »

I have a lot of ektachrome 160 sound film. Some came out green. I'm trying to use a magenta color corecting filter for that.
Unless film that old was stored frozen in its original sealed packaging, color shifts like that are possible. :(
John Pytlak
Eastman Kodak Company
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

I bought a lot of k40 8mm film about a year ago. I shot one roll, put the rest in a freezer. The first roll was fine. The rest have been tunring out purple. I'm begining to wonder if the freezer did the purple damage.
John_Pytlak

Frozen Film

Post by John_Pytlak »

I can only speak from my personal experience. I keep all my still film frozen, and I've never encountered a severe color shift because of it. Did you warm up (equilibrate) the film completely before you opened the sealed packaging? Opening very cold film in humid air can cause condensation.

Most Kodak films are shipped and stored (in Kodak warehouses) at 50-55 F.
John Pytlak
Eastman Kodak Company