Home processing VNF 125 Ektachrome

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

marc

Home processing VNF 125 Ektachrome

Post by marc »

I am curious to know if anyone here has home processed the VNF 125 Ektachrome movie film? If so, how cost effective is it and how difficult is the process?
Konton

Post by Konton »

That's next on the agenda after we process b&w film. You can by the 3 step lomo kits for E-6 processing. I assume if there are just three steps, then it must be easy. I hope!
Justin Miller
marc

Post by marc »

I made the mistake years ago of buying one of those G-3 processiong tanks. I paid something like $75 for it shipping included from chambless cine equipment. I wish that it had been a spiral tank.
Konton

Post by Konton »

What was wrong with the G-3 tank? I bought the spiral tank off ebay for $40 with $5 for shipping. I'll let you know how the results look.
Justin Miller
marc

Post by marc »

Well the truth is that I have never used it but the idea of having to rotate those handles manually and knowing that your human power timing determines the quality of your results is kind of annoying.
Jam

G3 tank

Post by Jam »

Hello Marc,

I am posting from Tokyo.
It would be very appriciated if you could possibly sell your G3 tank(8mm & 16mm) to me, as I need it for a demonstration in China.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards
Jam Yau
japan8mm@yahoo.co.jp
Angus

Post by Angus »

I have heard from people that it is possible to process VNF film in E6 chemicals. The results won't be perfect, the colour may shift somewhat but you can compensate with your timing of the colour development stage on subsequent runs.

3 step E6 is simple but you have to be careful witn controlling the temperature and keeping your apparatus to within 1 degree of the temp stated in the processing instructions. With the Lomo tank this is OK because you can float it in a kitchen sink or bath tub...the film spiral is below the water line and so is kept at the same temperature as the water...as long as you are able to regulate the water temp. This can be done just by adding cold or hot water as necessary

Bt you do need to keep an eye on your temps. Any significant error in temp or time will cause your film colour to shift.

I've processed E160 in my kitchen sink with the Lomo sipral tank and a laboratory thermometer, regulating the water temp with the hot and cold taps. Got results every bit as good as Kodak.
Konton

Post by Konton »

You know, the tank I use requires you to rotate the fim. The difference is, the G-3 makes you wind from one spindle to another, so the film doesn't get treated properly to the chemicals if it's all wound on one side. The spiral tank however winds and unwinds on one film, so as it spirals out, the whole film should get treated with the winding movements agitating the film. At least that's how I understand it.

J_
Justin Miller
marc

Post by marc »

HI Jam,
I could do that. Well talk specifics in a little while.

Konton,
Post a picture so I can get an idea of what you are talking about.
Angus

Post by Angus »

With the G3 tank you have to constantly wind the entire film length from one spool to another - several times for each development stage.

With the Lomo spiral tank you only have to agitate the spindle once every so often - rather like processing 35mm still film.

The Russian Lomo tank is MUCH easier than the Doran G3...and quicker! But it uses more chemicals.
John_Pytlak

VNF Processing

Post by John_Pytlak »

Here are the processing specifications for the Kodak VNF-1 process:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat ... /h2411.pdf

Although similar to the E-6 process, it is somewhat different. E-6 may not give the same results.

Here are the VNF-1 process chemicals:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat ... epared.pdf
John Pytlak
EI Customer Technical Services
Research Lab, Building 69
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-1922 USA
aj

Post by aj »

Angus wrote:With the G3 tank you have to constantly wind the entire film length from one spool to another - several times for each development stage.

With the Lomo spiral tank you only have to agitate the spindle once every so often - rather like processing 35mm still film.

The Russian Lomo tank is MUCH easier than the Doran G3...and quicker! But it uses more chemicals.
All is true. I am not sure what is more or less.

With testing I have determined that a LOMO needs 600ml for 1 Spiral loaded with S8. The liquid just touches the next covering spiral. Just make sure it is on a horizontal workplane...
This make two dosis of Fomapan reversal. Which is bearable. The E6 is more costly. Still, from a 5liter set can also be considered bearable.
Kind regards,

André
marc

Post by marc »

Results aside, what is the cost effectiveness of home processing the VNF?
aj

You have to calculate

Post by aj »

You have to calculate for yourself.

The main advantage is that you can process within 1 hour of shooting... :D

For one film S8 15meter:
On BW reversal using Foma reversal you save about Euro 10-15.
On E6 using tetenal/JOBO 5L sets you may save Euro 5-10.

Depending on what you compare with. Lab fees, postage, banking costs, other fees. etc

Main disadvantage is that own-time spending may be considerable and when things go wrong it is your own doing. :)

In a LOMO you can do 2 S8 at one time. Requires extra chemistry, still.
Kind regards,

André