Did you read the business section in todays Sunday paper?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

marc

Post by marc »

John_Pytlak wrote: I believe 7240 and B&W reversal films are still available in the 8mm format, perforated 2R-1497.

What resistance does Kodak have to perfing the K40 in Regular 8 now that the K25 is no longer manufactured? People would still use it even though they could get it in Super 8.
Santo

Post by Santo »

Man, this is already starting to remind me of the couple of times Francis Coppola would post on the Zoetrope website I used to visit. :lol:

But this is cool. I predict we'll have a new record-length thread.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Santo wrote: But this is cool. I predict we'll have a new record-length thread.
Ah-ham! 166 / 3365

R
Last edited by S8 Booster on Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

What I really wonder if we will see a Vision2 50D in Super8.
That is a good question. I´d like a boatload of it.
John_Pytlak

Films for Super-8

Post by John_Pytlak »

As mentioned before, sufficient sustained sales volume is needed to justify supplying additional films in the Super-8 or 8mm format. That said, Kodak VISION 200T is likely to be be joined soon by other films.
John Pytlak
EI Customer Technical Services
Research Lab, Building 69
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-1922 USA
marc

Post by marc »

What I mean to say is that if John Schwind sold K25 in regular 8, he would certainly sell K40 if it were available.
John_Pytlak

Regular 8

Post by John_Pytlak »

Then John should approach his Kodak contact with a business case, including sufficient volumes to justify additional films in that format.
John Pytlak
Eastman Kodak Company
marc

Post by marc »

Hi John,
I can't speak on behalf of additional films other than the ones already mentioned. Although the thought of it sounds very interesting to me! However, I can say with a great deal of certainty that those that have been steady customers with regards to the Kodachrome (K25) would certainly pick up where the K25 left off and continue buying regular 8 Kodachrome in the K40 emulsion. However, If I understand you correctly, then maybe John himself is the one presenting the resistance.
FilmIs4Ever

John Schwind and His Commitment to DR8

Post by FilmIs4Ever »

I have recently bought DR8 from Schwind and corresponded with him a bit. I can say with relative certainty that he wants K40A in DR8. Let me quote from the email as I still have it:
"At this time there are no plans by Kodak to release KMA40 in DR8."

Maybe he hasn't contacted Kodak, but Kodak should offer K40A as a replacement to K25 just as they did with the S8 version. I'd buy it! Mr. Schwind sounded almost disheartened at his demand for DR8 drying up or something. Its possible that the lack of stocks might contribute to this lack of demand, though. I feel that if KMA40 and Ektachrome print 7399 were released in DR8, demand would be back up. Better yet, why not offer all 16mm stocks in DR8 as it is only a matter of different perferation. Granted, there would have to be some kind of minimum order, but I'm sure with all of those new options, plenty of people would take the fall and buy it up. My two cents.
disjecta

Post by disjecta »

John,

I hope you understand that we have talked about having a Kodak person on this board for quite a long time. It's very exciting to have an "insider" on the board.

What I want you to understand is that we will try not to overwhelm you to the degree that you won't want to come back but there have been many questions that a lot of members have wanted to ask for a long time. This is an initial flurry, so don't be scared off!

We are extremely happy to have you on this board.
My needs are few but very expensive.
marc

Post by marc »

In other words, he is saying in a very diplomatic way that we should tame our eagerness to talk to an insider. And, yes, there has been a lot of unanswered questions that have just boiled to a head so please understand.
Lunar07

Re: John Schwind and His Commitment to DR8

Post by Lunar07 »

FilmIs4Ever wrote:I have recently bought DR8 from Schwind and corresponded with him a bit. I can say with relative certainty that he wants K40A in DR8.
One thing for certain: if K40A is done for DR8 then for sure there will be a run on buying Series 4 and Series 5 amber Wratten 85 filters hehehehehehehehe
Better get them while they are dirt cheap on eBay :D
marc

Post by marc »

You can always make them out of gel filter sheets by using a drafters compass and a pair of scissors or a scalpal made by exacto.
John_Pytlak

On the Road Again

Post by John_Pytlak »

And now, just as things are getting busy here in the wonderful world of 8mm, I will be "on the road" to Florida. I'm speaking at the United Drive-In Theatre Owners Association. I'll have my notebook computer, but accessing hundreds of e-mails and postings is really slow on a hotel phone line, and I'll be very busy at the convention, so don't expect quick response for the next week.
John Pytlak
Eastman Kodak Company
marc

Post by marc »

Where in Florida are you going to be?