1st Annual Kodak Super-8 Film Festival for Kodak Employees!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Alex

1st Annual Kodak Super-8 Film Festival for Kodak Employees!

Post by Alex »

MovieStuff wrote:
FilmsUP wrote: Could Kodak be trying to dry up the passion for the Super 8 format and lower sales, to the point that that the format is not missed when and if they pull the plug?
Ha! We should be so lucky that Kodak would even give super 8 such consideration, one way or the other. I think that it is more a matter of lethargy and a "doesn't-concern-me" attitude. If people in Kodak still shot super 8 for their own use, then the problem would be as big an issue to them as loosing $$$ from problems with any 35mm stock. As it stands, no one at Kodak really cares about the effects of bad Super 8 carts because it doesn't really make a difference in their day to dealings, personally or professionally. Kind of a harsh viewpoint, I'll admit, but I just don't see any evidence that they give a crap.
So why don't the members of this forum create a Super-8 Film Festival for Kodak employees!!!!
Paul L.

Haven't we had enough/

Post by Paul L. »

These stupid theories about how Kodak wants to kill super8 are really too much. How many years do we have to hear this crap? Buy the film from Kodak, shoot the film, develop the film with Kodak. It's that simple.... demand. Tell your friends about super8. Talk it up in your local paper. Show your films locally and tell them that it was filmed in super8. But please cut the crap with these stupid theories. If Kodak wanted to make stop making super8 film, they'd do it tomorrow. They are keeping it around for a reason.... sales must be OK right now. Shoot it now before it's gone.
SHOOT FILM!
MovieStuff

Re: Haven't we had enough/

Post by MovieStuff »

Paul L. wrote:These stupid theories about how Kodak wants to kill super8 are really too much.
I don't believe I even hinted that Kodak was trying to kill Super 8. However, it is obvious that they don't pay much attention to what we need as customers, do they?
Paul L. wrote: How many years do we have to hear this crap?
I don't know. How many years do we have to put up with jittery carts? ;)
Paul L.

Post by Paul L. »

Sorry, Roger, I was responding to this post: "Could Kodak be trying to dry up the passion for the Super 8 format and lower sales, to the point that that the format is not missed when and if they pull the plug?"

I agree about jittery carts. Their inattention to that problem is inexcusable.
SHOOT FILM!
Paul L.

Post by Paul L. »

Sorry, Roger, I was responding to this post: "Could Kodak be trying to dry up the passion for the Super 8 format and lower sales, to the point that that the format is not missed when and if they pull the plug?"

SHOOT FILM!
Alex

Post by Alex »

When I quoted Roger above I decided to quote FilmsUP also because without their conspiracy question Roger may have not come up with his right on response.

Why focus on the spitball when a heartier subject is at hand?

Why not reacquaint Kodak with their own products?
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

Paul L. wrote:Sorry, Roger, I was responding to this post: "Could Kodak be trying to dry up the passion for the Super 8 format and lower sales, to the point that that the format is not missed when and if they pull the plug?"

I have put a post elsewhere about these "jittery cartridges". I am absolutely convinced that many of these jitters are caused by the now very aged population of Super8 cameras, which rely on being set up spot on to ensure the film is pulled through smoothly.

I do acknowledge however that there have been cartridge problems, I just don't think that all jitters should be put down to cartridges.

Cheers
Matt
Birmingham UK
John_Pytlak

Kodak Super-8 Information

Post by John_Pytlak »

Here's a link to the Kodak Super-8 website:
:)
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/super ... .4.6&lc=en
John Pytlak
EI Customer Technical Services
Research Lab, Building 69
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-1922 USA
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Watta ´eck :?:

What a surprice :D

:-({|=
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
John_Pytlak

Kodak and Super-8

Post by John_Pytlak »

One of your members let me know about this forum. I hope I can participate and help answer your questions. But I also participate in about 30 other Internet forums, ranging from professional cinematographers, to archivists, to 35mm projectionists, to IMAX projectionists.
John Pytlak
Eastman Kodak Company
Paul L.

Post by Paul L. »

Welcome, John!

I think you'll find a lot of knowledgable and friendly people here. This is the best super8 site on the net.

Paul
SHOOT FILM!
Alex

Post by Alex »

I think it would be really cool to have posters put up at the Kodak building announcing a Kodak Super-8 filmmaking Contest for kodak employees.

I think this forum could produce serious judges.
John_Pytlak

Kodak Film Contests

Post by John_Pytlak »

I think Kodak employees have been closely involved with local and national contests, such as the "Movies on a Shoestring" and at the "Visual Studies Workshop".

The Kodak Student Filmmaker website also has lots of contest information:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/stude ... .4.3&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/moti ... tCat.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/moti ... sfsu.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/moti ... tips.shtml
John Pytlak
Eastman Kodak Company
Alex

Post by Alex »

My idea is not a new one. Dreamworks puts on a filmmaking screening of films made by it's employees, but it wasn't limited to Super-8. :wink:
John_Pytlak

Kodak Camera Club

Post by John_Pytlak »

In addition to the festivals mentioned, Kodak does have a Camera Club for employees, and some have gone on to making travelogues that go on tour.
John Pytlak
Eastman Kodak Company