One shortfilm with sync-sound

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Valtteri

One shortfilm with sync-sound

Post by Valtteri »

Sorry for "spamming", I just tought that this could be an own topic for this film?

Hello!

We just finnished editing a test film that we shot a few months ago on one reel of k-40 with CAnon 814 xls with 24 fps.The material is transfered with WP to DV and cut on premiere. The sound was captured with a Sennheiser mic and a boom to a MD.

You won't propably understand the langauge since it it in finnish with no subtitles, but trust me, it is better that way Because it is all improvised and done with out a script and the story is realy silly. Just a test in other words .I think that the sound works quite well and we are going to do somethin more "serious" in the future. (That would mean having a script and so on)

Oh, jeah, I allmost forgot the link (wmv and mpeg belov it):
http://koti.welho.com/vkantane/impro/

http://www.sit.fi/~kantanev/synk/synk.mpg

"Enjoy"

Valtteri
vegetable man

Post by vegetable man »

hey, I think it looks great, beautiful images.
sunrise

Post by sunrise »

Nice images indeed.

sunrise
jhoneycutt

One shortfilm; aspect ratio?

Post by jhoneycutt »

Valtteri wrote:Hello!

We just finnished editing a test film that we shot a few months ago on one reel of k-40 with CAnon 814 xls with 24 fps.The material is transfered with WP to DV and cut on premiere. The sound was captured with a Sennheiser mic and a boom to a MD.
"Enjoy"
Valtteri
Valtteri....

What aspect ratio was this shot in? What lens did you use on your Canon 814 XLS? Did Premire allow you to maintain the correct aspect artio that you shot in? Was it CinemaScope or 16 X 9 ?

Nice film.
jack in Portland Oregon USA
jhoneycutt@qwest.net
Canon 1014XL-S, Workprinter, Mac & PC
Valtteri

Re: One shortfilm; aspect ratio?

Post by Valtteri »

Hello and sorry for the delay on my answer, hope this still reaches you :)

It is shot with the Normal 1.4/ 7-56 lens which is fix attached to the camera. No extra attachment where used, not even the sky light filter used in our music video ;) So it is shot in the normal super 8 apect ratio and then transfered in 4:3.

We did not think much about anything before shotin, we actually just took the camera,microfone and MD and drowe to the place where our frinds live (tha actors) and almost forced them to to act on the way to their neigfborhoods ;) So the story is quite crap also.But this is a litle bit of topic i guess. Any way, while editing it I started to think of a posibility to still put it in 16:9. So I made an letterbox matte and put it on alla tracks (or actually the first to cover alla tracks) in premiere. Some pictures/shots needes some adjusting after the matte, because of no planig for 16:9 was made, so I had to move up or down a few of the clips.

The format of super 8 is nice to transfer in that matter, that you loose as much film from the sides or top and bottom when choosing 16:9 or 4:3. Our way to work was not so clever, because we lost resolution both from the sides and top and bottom. But hey, I think it still looks better in letterbox than normal 4:3 aspectratio ;)

I'm just starting to write a script for a new movie to shoot with super 8 and we are also going to use synk sound in the next one. I don't have a clue when it is going to finnish since it is totally indipendent and done just for fun, but I'll let you know :) (Or then I might do one music video first, who knows)

I'll be glad to answer any more questions you might have!

Best regards,

Valtteri

jhoneycutt wrote:
Valtteri wrote:Hello!

"Enjoy"
Valtteri
Valtteri....

What aspect ratio was this shot in? What lens did you use on your Canon 814 XLS? Did Premire allow you to maintain the correct aspect artio that you shot in? Was it CinemaScope or 16 X 9 ?

Nice film.
jack in Portland Oregon USA
jhoneycutt@qwest.net