Converting an FDL-60 telecine to a Scanner

General discussion regarding the open film scanner project.

http://www.openfilmscanner.org

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

vintagefilm

Converting an FDL-60 telecine to a Scanner

Post by vintagefilm »

Andreas has an FDL-60, and I used to have some of them, so I thought I would share some ideas about a conversion. The film transport in the FDL is quite good, so if possible, we would like to use it as-is. The camera system is easily removed from the chassis, so that is the first step. We will need to replace the gate, lens, camera, and light and find a way to trigger the new camera. These sub-systems will be very similar to the design that the open scanner will use. We can look at the details of that in other threads about those systems, not yet posted.

I need some details about your FDL, Andreas. First what model and serial number is it? Does it have the late motor design installed? Can you share some photos of the reel motors? Is is still online, and is it working?

This idea can be relatively simple if the original systems can be used.
Grace McKay
Electric Pictures
Spirit High Definition Motion Picture Telecine Scanning
ElectricPictures.tv
949-838-0001
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Re: Converting an FDL-60 telecine to a Scanner

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Hi Grace!
Finally, here comes a seriously late reply to your post. :ymblushing:

I agree that the film transport is good and should be reused. Also I would reuse the sound system, both commag and sepmag for all formats. They are easy to output and record on a PC.

Here are my serial numbers:

FDL-60 B1: 490
FDL-90 A: 103

Both were working with some errors that I could bypass.

For software I could use Norpix Streampix software which connects to all machine vision cameras and capture cards. Highly versatile software that I know others have used for this purpose. https://www.norpix.com/products/streampix/streampix.php

Diffused light source could be something like this I assume: https://www.edmundoptics.com/c/diffuse- ... 3AV2hpdGU1

Attached are some photos of my machines and motors. Apoligies for tight photos. Both machines are in a very tight space with not much space to move them in.

Best,
Andreas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
vintagefilm

Post by vintagefilm »

Hey, I have had a new idea about this.

I have partially built it for a Spirit. I will work on any FDL.

The area between the PTR on the left, and the Tacho and it's adjacent roller can be used for a complete image system. I will get a picture of what I have done so far. Not nearly complete or functional.

Basically an optical breadboard as a mounting platform. I used the keycode plate from a Spirit to mount to, so easily added to any classic Spirit. I think it will need to be modified to work on the later 4K Spirits that I now have.

I have an optical mirror mount to the plate at 45 degrees with the led light source bolted to it. But also have an alternate light system at the idea stage.

A super 8 shoe from Rennie Johnson at Xena, and a Point Grey/Flir 2.5K camera. Schneider kens.

Sprocket sensing is with a Keyence retro-reflective laser trigger.

I will post a couple of photos, coming up soon.

-Grace
Grace McKay
Electric Pictures
Spirit High Definition Motion Picture Telecine Scanning
ElectricPictures.tv
949-838-0001
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Sounds awesome Grace! Really looking forward to see some photos of that. Actually great idea which involves less mods to the machine(s). :ymapplause:

Best,
Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations