Seized Filter Holder/Adapter

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

sciolist

Seized Filter Holder/Adapter

Post by sciolist »

I’ve acquired an Angénieux lens hood whose filter holder/adapter has resisted all of my efforts to unscrew it. I’ve used penetrating oil, letting the oil soak in for at least twenty-four hours, and applied non-slip strap wrenches to no avail. Any recommendations?
jpolzfuss

Re: Seized Filter Holder/Adapter

Post by jpolzfuss »

This space was left intenionally blank.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

Thanks for suggesting these tools. I should've said the diameter of the rings I'm attempting to remove are nearly 115mm. All except the last tool shown are (or appear to be) too small. I've removed very stubbornly stuck adapter rings (including those cross-threaded) using strap wrenches, but I've had no success with the current 'project'. It's almost as if a previous owner glued the filter holder/adapter on (although there's no real evidence of that).
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Okay. Then what about putting the thing in the freezer: in the cold, everything (except for water) shrinks - but at a different rate, depending on the material:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN9y81l3uu4
When cold doesn’t work, then try heat (from a hair dryer) on the holder/adapter only. This way, the filter holder/adapter will extend.

Unless it’s really glued or soldered on, I would expect that sand or dust is the cause.

Good luck!
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

With my bandsaw, I fabricated a wood block with radiused ends that allowed me to secure the lenshood very firmly between the dogs of my Ulmia bench. I protected the outside of the hood with non-slip rubber mats and, using a strap wrench, managed to unscrew the filter holder/adapter. I've not yet gotten the halves of the filter holder/adapter unscrewed, so I may try the methods you've recommended. Thanks again.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Did you find out the reason for the adapter getting stuck? Sand/dust? Some damage? Or just some „sugar water“ (lemonade, coke,…) that got spilled across the hood?
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

To the naked eye, threads on the hood and on the filter/holder adapter seem fine, but they must be deformed somehow. There's no foreign material in them, and yet, even after I was able to start the filter holder/adapter turning with the strap wrench, it needed the strap wrench to remove it all the way from the hood, even though a light coating of penetrating oil was visible. Now, I'm unable to screw the filter holder/adapter back on the hood!
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Maybe the adapter never fit onto the hood in the first place? Maybe one has a diameter in millimeters (115mm), while the other one is in inches (4.5 inches = only 114.3mm)? Or they have got a different pitch?
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

Factory markings on the lenshood and filter/holder adapter indicate they're compatible (viz, both are marked 20x12 20x15). This metal lenshood, made expressly for Angénieux 12 x 240mm and 15 x 300m lenses, is uncommon, so I've arranged to send it to a machine shop here in the USA specializing in the repair and fabrication of photographic and cinematographic equipment.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

The machine shop reported everything had been cross-threaded but is now working smoothly & easily. The previous owner managed to cross-thread everything AND drive it all the way home; it must've taken quite an effort.