The State of Double Super 8

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

aj

Re: The State of Double Super 8

Post by aj »

Posted tests by Pro8mm are on Vision materials...
Listed prices aren't that bad considering it is all in :)

S8 filming has become terribly expensive :(

Curious enough people want to shoot those films in untested flea-market finds with the price of a filter or a lenscover :)

Let's see what comes of it. First there must be found a EU retailer with non-wittner-crazy prices.
Kind regards,

André
Mana

Post by Mana »

I'd be interested in 50D for DS8
R8: Bolex B8

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

DS8: Bolex H8 Rex4

S16: Bolex Rex4
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi!

https://clickundsurr.de/ wanted to order some of Pro8mm‘s DS8-stock and then distribute it... But so far, the demand was very low ...

Still waiting for my ordered E100D in DS8 from Pro8mm - might take 7-8 weeks until they finally ship it...
This space was left intenionally blank.
sven

Post by sven »

I finally found a working Elmo c300 combination with magazine somewhere back in march/april. I have shot around 700ft of ds8 fomapan r100 already with it. I was actually planning to use it for my big trip to Japan at the same time the Olympics in Tokyo would be hold. It's too bad that didn't happen. It's currently impossible to travel to Japan from Europe....

Anyways, I have ordered a few 100ft rolls of the new Ektachrome in Ds8 from pro8. I'm looking forward to it. I'm also thinking of buying more later this year (around 1600ft). I hope Retro8 eneterprises will also offer it in Japan. Let's hope next year international travel will be possible again. I hope my Elmo will keep on living as I had some issues with the battery compartment of the magazine last weekend. Although the problem seems to be gone suddenly...
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Pro8mm has extended its „preorder period“ until August 24th. So you can still order E100D in DS8 with and without processing+scanning.
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

It's a shame that 100ft load DS8 cameras are so rare (if not counting Quarz cameras). Prices tend to climb on the few available.

I wonder if labs would be happy to process ds8 color negative as 16mm with same prices. Should make sense, at least if using 100ft loads. Using DS8 would be rather pointless if a higher, special "DS8" price is asked on the pretext of splitting the material.

Currently it is cheaper / same price to shoot 400ft loads of 16mm color negative as 4x15ft super-8 color neg. In practice for me that means that I don't choose super-8 because of price but rather due to camera size & convenience, including auto exposure. Great for family movies.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

I finally received some tracking code, but still waiting for my films to arrive from the states... ;)
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

51FB9A7F-C902-43C0-B9BB-AE313289D9C4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

Do you have any DS8 Film kodak 100D for sale in your shop ?
aj

Post by aj »

jpolzfuss wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:51 pm

These stickers are really only for display. Nobody working in the processing of post is giving a sheit and it will be scanned anyway when things are set to be scanned. It would be something if that could be prevented just by using a sticker. All contrabande shippers would do the same.
Kind regards,

André
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

jpolzfuss wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:12 am Pro8mm has extended its „preorder period“ until August 24th. So you can still order E100D in DS8 with and without processing+scanning.
Just got a email from pro 8 , that you can order more DS8 Film batch 2 ! jpolzfuss will you be ordering any more film for your shop in Berlin ?
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

What shop are you talking about? I’ve got cameras but no shop!
nikonr10

Post by nikonr10 »

[
https://clickundsurr.de/ wanted to order some of Pro8mm‘s DS8-stock and then distribute it... But so far, the demand was very low ...

Still waiting for my ordered E100D in DS8 from Pro8mm - might take 7-8 weeks until they finally ship it...
[/quote]

Sorry As your had a link to https://clickundsurr.de My bad
fastwind

Post by fastwind »

Rob at CINELAB in Boston, MA has just confirmed Double Super 8mm processing and scanning. ECN-2,E-6 and B&W. I have used their processing and scanning services many times and the quality is top notch.
aj

Post by aj »

jpolzfuss wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:51 pm 51FB9A7F-C902-43C0-B9BB-AE313289D9C4.jpeg
As if they will not X-ray when there is such a sticker on it.
Every crook et cetera would use a sticker to get his contrabande past the checks and customs :)
Kind regards,

André