Bargain 35mm cameras and some more

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Bargain 35mm cameras and some more

Post by S8 Booster »

Recently I bought these35mm photo cameras in a shop selling used and or outdated stuff of all kinds.

The cams are:

Canon 1000F with a 35-80 mm Canon zoom lens and (approx 8-9 USD
Canon 300v with a Tampon 28-300mm zoom lens (approx 22 USD)

Both were out of batteries but worked 100% with new batteries.

Good stuff while I am working to get my fav cam Ricoh XR2s working. Much simpler to use and better operating procedures than the Canons.

Nevertheless the 300v seems out of this world when it comes to shooting capacities but I generally hate those menus regardless of make.

Working on projects to shoot some Single 8 film but it is all white here now so the outdoor motifs aren't all fab.
There are som hefty bird and squirrel activities going on so I may try to do some "recording" there
Also I need to finish off some 16mm 250D neg film it has been in the camera for too long so I will finish it off shortly.

Anybody having some experience with those Canon 35mm? I´d like to hear from you.

Shoot8
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Re: Bargain 35mm cameras and some more

Post by S8 Booster »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

Apart from places like lomography and freestyle photographic, there isn't too much interest in 35mm anymore.
The lenses are a different story as people buy old cameras these days for the lenses.
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

camera8mm wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:08 am Apart from places like lomography and freestyle photographic, there isn't too much interest in 35mm anymore.
I heard a lot of used 35mm cameras were being bought by students in China or maybe that market has now dwindled.
inlieubeaulieu

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

the 35mm camera market isn't dead (I know a lot of people that still shoot it, and constantly see students about town shooting), it's just that the desired cameras are pre-80's as they are simpler, and sturdier, with fewer computers and auto-functions to malfunction (and auto-exposure and auto-focus can be just plain annoying for art-photography). I've moved up to 120 film with my Hasselblad, but do still use my Canon A1 fairly regularly
doug

Post by doug »

Many many EOS cameras around unfortunately, but not so many EOS lenses which are sought after for Canon DSLRs... especially the longer lenses.
There's a reasonable market for 35mm still photography, but as inlieubeaulieu says most people prefer the older classic cameras for that. Nice that there's a fairly wide range of different films to choose from, rather more than for movie photography. And it's good that almost any lens can be adapted to different camera bodies, including movie cams, thanks to the proliferation of lens adaptors. (Though maybe not EOS ones ? because they are large at the back.)
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

Even in 2007 when I started shooting a lot of 35mm reversal, the EOS 30 was quite a bargain. I must have shot hundreds of rolls of Kodachrome and Velvia in it and it's still going strong as ever. Built like a tank.

I'm using 120 a lot more now, and got a Pentax 645NII system for less than a grand in 2017. As the cost of film goes up, the initial investment in cameras has gone down to compensate. It needs to at these prices!