$20 scanning from FFP

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

grainy

$20 scanning from FFP

Post by grainy »

This just came over the transom. $20 scans per 50 ft roll using (what looks like) the Lasergraphics Scan Station.
Discounts for more than 5 rolls. Thoughts??
https://filmphotographystore.com/collec ... TBihiGCCu4
Will2

Re: $20 scanning from FFP

Post by Will2 »

Scan Station is just about the best you can do as long as the operator knows what he's doing.

Only thing I would ask for is full 2k scans. 2048×1536 is much higher than HD with pillar box (1920x1080). That's useful if you are finishing in HD and need to do a pan & scan. I know we argue endlessly about whether or not Super 8 holds up in higher-res, but I can notice a significant difference between HD pillar box and full 2k when finishing in HD. Not so much with 4k Super 8 scans finished in HD. Theoretically it may be better, but I just can't see a difference enough to warrant any increase in cost.

Scan Station is a little deceptive however on the actual un-interpolated resolution you get. I work with a local owner/operator and the actual max, no scaling resolution you get on an 8mm frame is about 3171x2278 (once cropped to the frame).

Standard 16mm is about 3857x2803. Super 16mm gets to about 4264 pixels wide...not the "5k" max advertised.

Either 16mm resolution is fine to scale to actual 4k if you want to.

Of course, this is just a flat scan. The real look of the image is determined by the colorist and that's completely a skill based thing.