Eco friendly bleach

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

The_kodak_kid

Eco friendly bleach

Post by The_kodak_kid »

So long story short: if I develop my 7266 16mm film in d-19, can I use an eco friendly bleach? Or is eco friendly bleach only good for caffenol based developers?

(Note: The recipe is not mine)

Bleach:
1L hydrogen peroxide 9%
28ml acetic acid glacial

I don’t want to use the sulphuric acid/dichromate bleach because i have no experience doing it on my own.
nikonr10

Re: Eco friendly bleach

Post by nikonr10 »

The_kodak_kid wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:23 am So long story short: if I develop my 7266 16mm film in d-19, can I use an eco friendly bleach? Or is eco friendly bleach only good for caffenol based developers?

(Note: The recipe is not mine)

Bleach:
1L hydrogen peroxide 9%
28ml acetic acid glacial

I don’t want to use the sulphuric acid/dichromate bleach because i have no experience doing it on my own.
So long story short is NO .
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... Black.html

Film making is a craft with no short cuts !
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Indeed you can. The developer you use doesn't impact the bleach you use.
Note however Riccardo's eco bleach formula you quote there is unreliable. Sometimes it will cause a lot of bubbles in the emulsion. Just sayin'. But use ity by all means.
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

If you follow the instructions carefully for the sulphuric acid/dichromate bleach recipe you linked to, you should have no problems. That bleach recipe has 10ml Sulphuric acid in 1000ml water which is quite weak compared to the electrolyte in a fully charged car battery which can be as high as 50% Sulphuric acid.
Just make sure you wear wrap around eye protection goggles and full length gloves and add the acid slowly to the water while stirring. If you use the weaker 48% Sulphuric acid it will be safer.
The_kodak_kid

Post by The_kodak_kid »

richard p. t. wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:17 pm Indeed you can. The developer you use doesn't impact the bleach you use.
Note however Riccardo's eco bleach formula you quote there is unreliable. Sometimes it will cause a lot of bubbles in the emulsion. Just sayin'. But use ity by all means.
Ahh... it is Ricardo’s bleach! There’s another guy who seems to have perfected it. Adrian Cousins. I put the link down below.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mzv8PI1T1Do