Super 8 Max Projector

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

c-stand

Super 8 Max Projector

Post by c-stand »

Has anyone made the modification to a projector for projection of film shot in the Super 8 Max format?

(Yes, I know Pro 8mm markets this as “Max 8” but I think it’s a poor name and inaccurate)
Silverdream

Re: Super 8 Max Projector

Post by Silverdream »

Max 8 in my opinion is not ideal to run through a projector as there is too much risk of damage to the edge of the image. The film transport through the projector relies on contact being made to both sides of the film. With Max 8 there just isn't enough edge space on the image side for safe transport through a projector. To modify a projector properly will be a big job.
c-stand

Post by c-stand »

But you’re talking about running Super 8 Max through an un-modified projector right? If the projector was modified it would be fine? I mean, what’s the difference between modifying a camera and modifying a projector? Does a camera not require the same edge space when exposing the film?
Silverdream

Post by Silverdream »

As you probably already know the modification to the camera for Max 8 is a slight widening of the film gate. Essentially there is very little mechanical difference subjected to the film between Super 8 and Max 8 for a camera conversion and in most cases the film only goes through the camera once.
For a projector there are many points that the sprocket side and image side of the film will make contact with. These include drive sprockets, film gate, sound head pressure pad, takeup sprockets guide channels, etc. One would have to look at each of these items and make sure that those surfaces don't make contact with the expanded area of Max 8 especially the emulsion side. For example, the projector drive sprockets for ordinary Super 8 have a recessed area in the middle so they don't make contact with the picture area and only support the film on the soundtrack areas of each edge. You would need to make the recessed area wider for Max 8.
It can be done but it's a bit of a job and if you are planning to run the film through the projector many times a Max 8 film will probably not stay in as good condition compared to an ordinary Super 8 film, even after the conversion.
If you were wanting to use the projector for a frame by frame telecine setup you could look at using one of the simple type of projectors without the feed and takeup sprockets like the Eumig 610D. It can run at a slow frame rates too, which would be ideal
c-stand

Post by c-stand »

Ah I see. Yes, I knew converting a camera was a fairly easy task by just widening the gate, but was not aware of the more complex task of projector conversion. I was only interested in a projector conversion for the purposes of projecting Super 8 Max. So, I’ll be sticking with normal Super 8, then.

Thanks for the indepth technical info, however. Much appreciated! There were hundreds of topic views before someone had the knowledge to answer!

#Max8 #Super8Max #SuperDuper8