Paillard Bolex - help??

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

katm

Paillard Bolex - help??

Post by katm »

Hey, all you smart camera people. My dad died earlier this year and left a bunch of old electronics and stuff, and cameras. I found this Paillard Bolex with case and lenses and stuff. I have not idea whether or not it works, but I am wondering what it might be worth to sell?? I am honestly not being lazy - I have researched a bunch - but I cannot even determine if it's an 8 or 16 mm. I am including all my pics. Any information that anyone has that might help me is much appreciated. Here's a link to the pictures. Thank you!

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/katmi ... rd%20Bolex
studiocarter2

Re: Paillard Bolex - help??

Post by studiocarter2 »

That looks a lot like my outfit. It is a nonreflex H16 Bolex. I shoot Kodak Tri-X reversal 7266 and develop it myself then project it. Try it. It is a lot of fun. Look on eBay under Bolex H16 and you will see others like yours. What do you want for it? I would like to have a backup so one of them could be sent away to be reconditioned.
BAC

Post by BAC »

A lot of the value you have could be in the lenses. I would search eBay sold listings for your lenses, especially the Switars. Of course condition is important, haze, mold, separation and scratches are quite detrimental to the value.
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Yeah, what you have is a Paillard-Bolex H-16 from around the mid-fifties with four good lenses, the normal focal length Kern Switar 25 mm, the wide-angle Kern Switar 10 mm, the moderate telephoto fast Switar 50 mm, and the long telephoto Yvar 150 mm. The lenses alone, if in good condition, are worth some $1,000 easily. The camera may fetch up to $180. From what I can see on the photos it needs a service.

It would be a pity to separate parts from the ensemble. Offer everything together and answer questions, that way you may find someone who’s willing to invest. Completed by a rackover and a set of extension tubes (speak of these) a new possessor should be very happy with the equipment.