Need exposure guide for Brownie with ISO 100

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

thebrowniecameraguy

Need exposure guide for Brownie with ISO 100

Post by thebrowniecameraguy »

I haven't shot this fast of a film in my Brownie, I need an exposure guide for the FOMA 100. I know the shutter is 180°, i think the speed is 1/30 sec. I can't find an accurate guide online, and OF COURSE I can't find my trusty light meter.
I'm back, I'm back- thebrowniecameraguy is back! I still have my Brownie 8mm Turret f/1.9! Time to play!
Danmouer

Re: Need exposure guide for Brownie with ISO 100

Post by Danmouer »

I'm not sure what your camera is, but I'll assume it's the 8mm Brownie with turret that you are using for your avatar here. That camera uses a 16 fps frame rate and if it uses the very common 180 degree shutter angle (shutter is open half the time and closed half the time), then your shutter speed equivalent is 1/32nd.

The lens arrangement is a fixed lens with three auxiliary lenses on the turret. The fixed lens is probably f 1.9, but depending on your exact model, may be f2.3. I don't know if you have any way of topping that down. Some Brownies have a little dial with separate exposure settings for full sun, cloudy bright, partial shade, etc.

I suspect that your Foma ISO 100 film will be appreciably over-exposed even at the full sun setting if you have a variable setting at all. The camera was designed to shoot Kodachrome at ASA (ISO) 25, or possibly even Kodachrome 12.

I recommend you try using the camera indoors, in good shady cnditions outdoors, or very late in the day. Normal sunny putdoors shots will almost certainly be blown out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
thebrowniecameraguy

Found one

Post by thebrowniecameraguy »

I'm back, I'm back- thebrowniecameraguy is back! I still have my Brownie 8mm Turret f/1.9! Time to play!