Regular 8mm Black & White Print

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Mana

Re: Regular 8mm Black & White Print

Post by Mana »

Pan F plus would be great in 8mm! I would by for sure!!!
R8: Bolex B8

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

DS8: Bolex H8 Rex4

S16: Bolex Rex4
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Made an enquiry to Ilford, will report
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

UN 54 was reversed. Finally. Regular 8mm Cine-X or ORWO UN 54 movie film.
RO9 was used. One Shot. 1:25, 68 degrees, 18 minuets both developments.
Dichromate bleach was used.

https://youtu.be/O55HlRhZCDM

I think the box speed is correct but I also like half that or one more stop exposure.
I haven't made up my mind.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Here it is projected at almost the full screen size, but not slit.
https://youtu.be/8jqVb_hEjXM
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Good job, keep going like that! Perfection will come with the camera on a tripod. Just saying
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

We must have a misunderstanding. I meant the film camera on tripod.
Never mind, just saying
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

That is probably the single most important technique in filmmaking to use. And I routinely ignored it in all my tests, except the STEADYCAM test. However I tried to steady my camera on fences, bike racks, phone poles, and stop signs but I still got movement. I took off my glasses and pressed the camera against my face to steady it. Hand holding a camera steady is very difficult to master. It is nice that the Bolex H8 Rex has 3/8 sockets, along with the usual 1/4 20. That should help. I never used those yet.
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Had a Universal wooden legs tripod with fluid head. The two Miller brothers from Australia, one had departed for the USA, the other stayed in Sydney. It was on the upper limit, weight-wise, but gave me rigid and butter-soft movement shots. I feel like only half myself without it.
Photomicftn

Post by Photomicftn »

IMG_0707.JPG
I found my dad's Bolex DL8 when he passed recently, along with his carefully packed Kodachrome home movies, which I had never seen (!). I ran a few of the old films from the late 50's and 60's through his projector, and I was hooked. I only remembered him using a crappy plastic Yashica Super-8, which I never liked much. The double 8mm was much better in comparison to the Super-8, and reading here, I guess I now know why.

I've watched Mr. Carter's videos, and that led me to find a lightly used H8 Rex4 for some serious trials, and some B&W Foma R100 in 25' & 100' to shoot. For tripod use I attached a RRS MPR-73 (2 x 1/4-20 screws) Arca-Swiss plate on the center line of the base using a 3/8-to-1/4" reducer bushing in the center 3/8" socket. My tripod is set up for a Nikon DSLRs with >500mm lenses, so the Bolex, with it's mass centered pretty closely over the mount, is rock solid and easy to handle on a ballhead (for now).

As far as the original poster's question about interest in new 8mm B&W reversal stock, I'd be a buyer at those prices for ~2000-3000 feet in 25' and 100' rolls (or even 50').

P.S. - the image is my newly acquired H8 with a Nikkor lens on an F-C mount I had previously purchased for no good reason. It focuses well, but I'd have to find some way to support it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Condolation for your father

Try to understand the concept of the turret camera. You have two to six* fixed focal length lenses on the camera, compact and lightweight. The usual set is a normal length, a wide-angle, and a telephoto lens instantly interchangeable. Concurrently a few manufacturers had quick-change mounts, the Bell & Howell Company for instance their unique spigot mount. Others used interrupted thread mounts to allow for bayonet and threaded lenses.

Lenses for motion pictures are a different breed from still pictures lenses, they need not be of ultimate fineness. One can make wonderful movies with the simplest triplet lenses. Millions of home movies have been shot through fixed focus lenses, only the diaphragm opening was set.

The knack of the Paillard-Bolex H camera is its relatively slender body when the turret is in normal position. One can carry it under one’s arm inconspicuously and release with a cable. One can carry it well, it’s not too heavy, and still it holds a bunch of refinements.

Glad to read about your consumption over time, thank you

*Six lenses could be placed on the turret of the Cameréclair.

Cameréclair.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Photomicftn

Post by Photomicftn »

Thanks for your condolence.

I agree with you about the turret camera concept with interchangeable prime lenses; my photo of the Nikon lens and the F-C adapter was a bit of whimsy occasioned by having found a "use" for that adapter that I bought years ago.

It is interesting to consider carrying an H series Bolex around under your arm for shooting purposes; as for being inconspicuous, perhaps a smaller B camera with a wide angle would serve better in it's place.

I prefer to use a support, whether tripod, monopod, or other solid surface, in order to obtain the sharpest images I can get with this system. Since I just obtained the camera, I can try a little of each to compare. I also exchanged some email with Mr. Carter from this forum, who I found has successfully used a gimbal mount with his H8.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

It is very easy to switch positions so the crank may be accessed. The side viewfinder fits, but only just fits.
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Impressive

Brings back memories of a holding bracket I once devised for the Beaulieu R 16/9,5. Contrary to Paillard, Beaulieu never increased the housing bottom. I deem it the best move Paillard ever made with the H cameras. They were actually forced to it with the heavy zoom lenses, magazine and motors attached to the camera much like Bell & Howell when mag and electric motor got out for Filmo and Eyemo.

Paillard-Bolex stands in the Bell & Howell line with small-gauge cameras of the spool-above-spool concept. Eastman-Kodak always favoured an oblong camera, the box, with one film spool behind the other, in a slanted or coaxial arrangement.

Anyhow, Double Eight should remain the cheapest film format. Then its technical limitations don’t outweigh its many possibilities.
I’m having a Siemens & Halske C 8 here for an overhaul. That camera has a big spring which lets one shoot for almost a minute (at 16 f. p. s.).
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

A round bottomed H Bolex will fit this bracket. This is a H8 but the H16T fits, too.