Regular 8mm Black & White Print

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

studiocarter2

Re: Regular 8mm Black & White Print

Post by studiocarter2 »

Yep. Sanding the film more worked. DP3 went smoothly through the gate. Now I have a couple new flawless prints.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

The next thing to do with DP3 would be to reverse it. What ASA is it again? Reversed, that is. 3? 15?
I could also try slitting DP3 unexposed stock and print with that. That may work as is, no sanding required.
The Uhler instructions say that reversal film positives may be printed on reversal stock.
I have 8mm spiral developing tanks, but they take a lot of chemistry. My tests to date have used Jobo 110 reels. Only 300ml are needed and up to 11 feet of double 8 at one time.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

The ASA for dp3 print reversed is 3-5. 15 will yield dark images.-----
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Thank you
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

https://youtu.be/4D9NFNfTyAk

What is the ASA when developed to negative?
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Another negative was printed. This time the sun was even brighter. The best exposure was higher than in the other films.

https://youtu.be/fR6P4aQSRi4
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

Cine-X, ORWO UN 54 developed to negative was printed onto UN 54 to make positives.
https://youtu.be/fPhrtHAqVxQ
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

ORWO DP3 double 8mm was shot one side only, then slit in the dark. The exposed half was developed. After it dried, it was printed to the other half.
The films did NOT travel smoothly through the printer. Film is still too wide. It sits on top of the grooved wheel, not deep in the bottom of the groove.
I had to spin the reels to make it go.
Nevertheless, pictures happened much more than smears. Sprocket holes did not tear. I don't know why.
Two prints were made. Both smeared some here and there.
One strip by itself did go through the printer without a hitch. The negative alone went smoothly, but two halves didn't, in the dark. I'll try again after the projector trials.
Now I have some 3 pieces, each about 6 feet long.
I was able to connect two 8mm strips together, using Scotch Tape, in the dark, after the first had been loaded onto the smallest Lomo spiral. Then both were developed at the same time. That was good, and now I get to see the selected exposure projected.
OK, later, I did run a strip through my projector successfully.
That means the film, DP3, may be reversed, slit, and projected. It just cannot be printed.
Not without sanding the film to be more narrow. Or having a different guide grooved wheel made.
unsanity

Post by unsanity »

I have had self slit film jamming in some of my projectors before which I finally put down to the film slitter I was using, the same as what you have in the video.
I measured and compared some of my self slit film and it turned out the variations in width were intolerable, up to 0.75 mm difference in places. Recently I have built a guide system to regulate the film going into the slitter.
Also, in the video, what looked best in projection, f2.8 or f.4 and does Orwo UN54 printed onto Orwo UN54 look good in projection ?

Julian.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

I just yank it through, not having rewinds set up, nor a clamp on the slitter. Good workaround what you did. Film loops were made of the prints and they projected smoothly. So, I put them together in the printer. If I held the edges between my fingers on the feed side with some pressure then both films ran properly. They went deeper into the 8mm groove. But if pressure diminished, then the negative stopped. The print kept going. With pressure applied again, both ran again, all without turning off the motor. I may test again.
The projected films were too dark between f4 and f2.8.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

By holding the film between my fingers on the feed side I managed to get a good print. The exposure is now correct as it looked today. A lower lamp setting had to be used. This is only a test 6 feet long. Regular 8mm ORWO DP3 neg printed on ORWO DP3 again to make a positive.
https://youtu.be/K-V7anm7sTE
zalgon26

Post by zalgon26 »

Please say where to buy Orwo double 8mm or Kahle double 8mm print film in North America, particularly if it's available in more than 25ft rolls. Thanks
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

The man to contact is here , mr8mm
I am getting 800 feet.
studiocarter2

Post by studiocarter2 »

ORWO DP3 negative bracket test was printed.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gczZuo5EODQ
Krasnogorskistan

Post by Krasnogorskistan »

studiocarter2 wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 2:23 pm ORWO DP3 negative bracket test was printed.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gczZuo5EODQ
That's what you call an 'experimental piece'......