I Need An 8mm Film Cleaning Kit

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Terry_USA

I Need An 8mm Film Cleaning Kit

Post by Terry_USA »

I will be hand-cleaning my thousands of feet of 8mm color, and 8mm Super with sound, film. I need recommendations on what, and where to buy a kit to do this please. I am basically asking what you guys use? These are films from the 60's through the early 1990's. Fishing, Track meets, Family Reunions, Trips to Niagara Falls, Cypress Gardens, Busch Gardens, Weddings etc.
Terry_USA

Re: I Need An 8mm Film Cleaning Kit

Post by Terry_USA »

So far I have found FilmGuard and I will probably use a micro-fiber cloth. Any thoughts on this [combination]?
Mmechanic

Post by Mmechanic »

Have cleaned many miles of film with nylon velvet cloth and alcohol. The latter used on the cloth, not internally. Isopropanol is an alcohol, maybe the best suited.

Often rub the cloth clean against itself, away from the film, slap it in the air, fold it twice, lay it down on the table, and pull the film through it with only the weight of your hand on. Wind so slowly that the liquid has time to evaporate before rolled in.
BAC

Post by BAC »

Urbanski Film sells film cleaning supplies. I use Filmrenew with a 100% cotton cloth. I usually use cut up an old T-shirt, just make sure it's 100% cotton, some are not. I run it between two rewinds folding the cloth over the film and holding it between my thumb and two fingers. Urbanski has instructions on the web site.

http://urbanskifilm.com/8mm.html
Terry_USA

Post by Terry_USA »

Thank you everybody. I wonder why they use cotton instead of micro-fiber cloth? I had been cleaning my glasses for years with t-shirts and paper towels but was rebuked by RX optical because it puts minute scratches in your lenses and eventually ruins them. Would it not also do this with film?
Interesting that they are in Orland Park. My family came from Germany to that area in 1846. I have a couple pictures of my great-grandfather serving in the Orland Park Fire Dept from around 1890.