I Made My Own "New" Super 8 Camera >>>

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Terry_USA

I Made My Own "New" Super 8 Camera >>>

Post by Terry_USA »

After reading everybody's thoughts on the new Kodak Super 8 camera I had an epiphany this morning before Church. I grabbed my Elmo 1000S, and my Olympus V-10 stereo voice recorder and rushed off to Church. With no time to spare I told the kid running the computer display to fit my recorder into the slot for the normal microphone (see picture). So he rubber-banded it into place and I went right up in front of everybody and started shooting short clips of the band and choir. Boy, 50 feet does not last very long when you get into the rhythm of things.
Then, after the service we had a job fair, so I signed up for the media team. I got to discussing Super 8 with one of the younger kids in his early 20's. I can assure you with all confidence that 8mm will never catch on with the younger crowd. If Kodak is to succeed in promoting their new Super 8 camera then they will have to focus exclusively on our generation.

So, details... Elmo Super 8 Sound 1000S Macro camera
----------------- Kodak Ektachrome color movie film 160 Type A ELA 464 with a "process before" date of 03/1986--which I have kept in our freezer for the last 8 years or so.
------------------- The only quick adjustment I was able to make was to set it to indoor lighting, and to put it on 24 fps instead of the 18 it was on for Canadian fishing.

Question for you guys [and gals]: Where is the best place to get my film developed? And... can they sinc up the sound from my voice recorder with the video and put it on a DVD or do I have to figure out that process for myself?
About what will it cost per 50 feet of film? What about the sound film?
This is what I have left [See pictures] 5 used rolls/cartridges of Kodak Ektachrome 160 Type A sound color movie film ELA 594 that need to be developed. All with process dates of circa February 1990.
--- 5 unused rolls/cartridges of Kodak Ektachrome 160 Type A color movie film [no sound] ELA 464; and 1 used roll [that I just shot at Church today]. With process before dates Feb.-Jun. of 1986.Image
Image[/img]
Image[/img]
Image[/img]
inlieubeaulieu

Re: I Made My Own "New" Super 8 Camera >>>

Post by inlieubeaulieu »

the only place I know to get Ektachrome 160 processed is Spectra Film & Video, and they charge $75 per roll with a 120 day turnaround...

I wouldn't say that young people aren't interested in Super8 (I work at a school that sells Super8 and 16mm film and can tell you that most people buying filmstock from us are under 35), it's actually pretty popular in the experimental film scene.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

I congratulate your enthusiasm with the process but this has been tried by many before you had your epiphany and syncing up is not easy. I doubt Spectra will be be enthusiastic about syncing up the voice and will present you with an eye watering high bill to do the sync. Also I doubt the Ektachrome will be very good after 20 years. You have 594 sound. Why not just use it.

My suggestion is to use your camera with the camera microphone in place or another mike connected to the record input on the camera. Load the camera with fresh S8 film such as TRI- X reversal or Agfa 200D reversal and connect your fancy microphone/recorder to the earphone jack on your camera. In other words your recorder will record what the camera "hears" and would if sound film was being used would be recorded on the film. In theory the earphone jack is used to monitor the sound that the camera hears. Most of my sound cameras will let you hear exactly what is being filmed/recorded. Now the sound will start when you start filming and stop when stop filming. Won't be perfect but better than wild sound.

Have fun.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

P.S. If your recorder does not have an separate input and the recorder is strapped to the camera, the recorder will pick up the camera motor sound starting and stopping and you can use that sound to sync your picture to the sound.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

For a more sophisticated approach, see the post "any way to do sync sound' on this forum.
Terry_USA

Post by Terry_USA »

Wow, you guys are awesome. I like all your suggestions and expertise, whether professional or just years of experience.

I had not thought of "connecting" the V-10 voice recorder to the camera.

I apologize if I seem 25 years behind the times but it is because I am. But this is what I want: I want to: buy Super 8mm Sound film that will work in my Elmo 1000S. And I want it developed at a reasonable price. If I cannot do that then I might as well learn how to develop it myself, or... all those thousands of dollars I would spend could be spent on an Olympus OM-D E-M1 or E-M5 ($1,000-$2,000) Mark II camera body, plus a free lens, and and ED 50-200mm for $1,200. So for less than $2,500-$3,500 I could have a SWEET up-to-date set-up. So why I am I here trying to get you guys to talk me into investing that money into an super 8 set-up ? :D ;) It is probably because I experienced it's "feel" and want to recreate that. Our generation is stuck between film and digital and we are torn between that nostalgic feeling and SUPER high quality picture and sound. We can wait.... but we also "want it now". How do we deal with this conundrum?

This is what I thought of doing: Playing my Super 8 film on my Sankyo 762 like I always did... then... record it on my step-dad's Nikon D3300.

So what do you guys do when you want Super 8 sound film developed? Also, I have been sick since 2002 with IBS and Celiac. I do not have the funds at this time to do all that I wish. I will come in to a little money in the near future but I do not have a steady job because I am sick most of the time now.
I guess people who have not experienced Super 8 do not know what I am talking about. We spent years in Canada fishing and recording in Super 8 from 1978 through the 1990's and my uncles and cousins still go up there every year (sometimes twice) and I have all the footage up here in town waiting to be digitized. My aunt wants it digitized but she sent in about a $100 bucks worth to Legacy Box and was NOT happy with the results. And it is expensive. And there is no sound to the sound films. So what do I do? I mean, I can be satisfied with watching them on my Sankyo projector but she wants it all digitized. I mean, what would be the cost of buying a really good machine versus paying to have someone like Legacy Box do it all?
Terry_USA

Post by Terry_USA »

So I can buy Super 8 sound film for my Elmo 1000S? If so can someone link me to a source please?

I was concerned that that my old film would not be good. I suppose it would be wise to trash the old NOS film stock and get new film if it is available for my camera. As far as I know everything works fine on my camera. But I remember that annoying wind a lot. Would someone recommend a really good windscreen for the mic' on my 1000S?

If someone [in the U.S.) wants to take a chance on my last 5 rolls of unopened Ektachrome 160A film, all with a process before date of 1986, then send me your address in a PM or to my e-mail and I will send them to you.