Ektachrome returns

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

silverhalide

Re: Ektachrome returns

Post by silverhalide »

cineandy wrote:''Kodak no longer has a regular-8 perforator of any kind, according to my contact there. We talked about it maybe 6 months ago. I believe they scrapped them when they closed the Windsor, CO facility. I tried to get them to buy Wittner's Buko perforator, but they had no interest''

Bit misleading, in this promo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAJCN2TfCGw an 8mm camera is clearly seen!!
Yeah, they sort of messed that up. They also had a K-100 on their super 8 tri-x page for awhile.
RogerG

Post by RogerG »

I can't say how pleased I am to see that some form of late model Ekatachrome 100 is coming back. I've shot a good amount of E100G in 35mm and E100D in 16mm. I hope this time around, they base the film on E100G. This was a much finer grained version than E100VS, which was the same as E100D in motion picture gauges. E100G had plenty of saturation, and the finer grain would have really benefited small gauges like Super-8 and 16mm. That said, either E100 version had less grain than the upcoming Ferrania 100 iso film that will be based on Scotch Chrome 100 of the mid '90s.

Am looking forward to Ferrania as I backed their Kickstarter initiative for a roll of 35mm and 120, and they've promised 16mm, unlike Kodak. Regardless, projecting reversal film or staring at it on a light box makes my day, so thank you Kodak and Ferrania for expanding my arsenal.
Bolex H-16 SB
doug

Post by doug »

Ferrania's project is not necessarily disadvantaged. I think there is room for both flavours. Especially if Ferrania can keep their product priced lower, which is the main hurdle that prevents people shooting on film, at least super-8. It will be interesting to see if Andec restarts E6 :-$

Kodak have obviously done their sums, so presumably it won't be that more expensive than Ferrania's or they wouldn't sell any.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
milesandjules

Post by milesandjules »

Cant wait really missed shooting reversal B-)
Angus

Post by Angus »

I've seen a message somewhere, probably APUG, where a spokesman for Ferrania wish Kodak the best of luck and reckon that this won't affect Ferrania's plans.

As for which I will buy, price will play a big part in that decision. But I am an amateur. I may well end up buying Ferrania super 8 if there's a substantial price break, and Ektachrome in 135. But time will tell. I hope both projects are successful. The more choice we have in film in various formats, the better.

Who'd have thought that in 2017 we might see two new colour reversal films in super 8?
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Will2

Post by Will2 »

mr8mm wrote:It will be interesting to see if the film is sold with processing or without processing included. I am sure that Dwayne's, Spectra and Pro-8 would prefer without processing.
Kodak is in a tough spot...if they want to sell Super 8 to anyone except us, they need to make it idiot proof and crazy easy to use. They don't want to hurt labs but I'm not sure if labs are really making a ton of money off of Super 8 anyway. There's what...maybe 4 labs left in the U.S. that will process Super 8? Maybe 5 if you include Dwayne's running Ektachrome...

I just ran 3000 feet of 16mm and 35mm with Crawford in Atlanta (they do The Walking Dead 16mm) with excellent results but they don't touch Super 8. As long as The Walking Dead is around they'll be processing (although possibly under new management).

We are just getting to the point where there are some great options for scanning 8mm and Super 8mm up to 5k at many more houses due to the Lasergraphics workstation. There are new places in Dallas & DC as well as all the regular scanning actors handling 8mm now.

It will be very interesting to see what Kodak will send back scanning-wise. Just a flat scan? In 4k? Seems like crazy over kill although down-resed it will look great. We'll know what to do with that but I'm guessing the average hipster won't know how to color correct so we can expect the new astetic for Super 8 to be whatever Kodak puts out in these packages. I can see the YouTube videos now.

I'm giving Kodak slack on their processing and the new camera since they are trying to keep the format alive and bring in new users. We just need to keep in mind that it's not for us, it's for the masses and I think they're doing a decent job on that score. The big question will be pricing. Just like the surprise on the camera, I'm afraid once the accountants figure out what they will need to charge it won't be pretty.
c-stand

Post by c-stand »

Can somebody explain to me the exact relationship betwen Kodak, and Kodak Alaris? So, all Kodak film, both still and motion picture, is manufactured in Rochester, but motion picture film is sold and distrubuted by Kodak directly, while this other company using the Kodak name, sells and distributes Kodak still film stocks? Does Kodak Alaris license the Kodak name from Kodak in Rochester? Why doesn't Kodak just bring the selling and distribution of Kodak still films and photographic papers back in house, and just leave Alaris with with the other digital businesses (digital photo kiosks etc.)