Which of these 3 cameras is best for low light?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

slashmaster

Which of these 3 cameras is best for low light?

Post by slashmaster »

Need to shoot a band in a low light club setting. I've got the choice of 3 XL cameras, a Canon 512-XL, a Elmo 240-XL and a Bell and Howell 670-XL. All these cameras have F 1.2 lenses, the Elmo and the Canon have 220 degree shutters, I don't have a manual for the bell and howell and am still trying to find out it's shutter angle. The viewfinder in the Canon is brighter than in the Elmo so that leads me to believe the Canons prism is more of a parasite to light? The Bell and Howell has no zoom or even focus and screams CHEAP! But it's bright side is, all the lenses light goes directly to the film because the viewfinder window is totally separate. Which camera do I use? Would appreciate it if you take a look at this album. https://www.facebook.com/ShildFilm/phot ... =3&theater
milesandjules

Re: Which of these 3 cameras is best for low light?

Post by milesandjules »

Do a 10 second test on each - only way to tell- i would test with some old stock and do a simple home process to see B-)
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

milesandjules wrote:Do a 10 second test on each - only way to tell- i would test with some old stock and do a simple home process to see B-)
I think I will. Just found that according to super8wiki the 670-XL also has a 220 degree shutter! Guess being that none of the light goes through a prism, it must get the brightest pic? Too bad it doesn't have a focus...
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

One of the best low light cameras is the Canon 310XL with the f/1.0 lens. There is a manual focus and an auto focus version. I have used the AF310XLS and could take wedding films in poorly lit missions with good results. The Kodachrome was amazing that it could be used with so little light. J.S.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

mr8mm wrote:One of the best low light cameras is the Canon 310XL with the f/1.0 lens. There is a manual focus and an auto focus version. I have used the AF310XLS and could take wedding films in poorly lit missions with good results. The Kodachrome was amazing that it could be used with so little light. J.S.
Nice!.. What angle shutter does it have? By the way, made good use of your cameras, ran 2 tri-x and a kodachrome in your 240-xl and ran half a vision 50-d in the 230. Just got a couple of sound striped kodachromes to try. Got any tips for me?
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

220, I think.--J.S.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

mr8mm wrote:220, I think.--J.S.
Nice! Does it seem to have a metal chassis so the gears still mesh if the body warps? If not I've been wondering what a Kodak ektasound is like because I've seen at least some have a 230 degree shutter an f 1.2 lens and a completely separate viewfinder. I'm thinking if I don't like the lens it comes with they might be relatively easy to convert to c-mount...
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

mr8mm wrote:One of the best low light cameras is the Canon 310XL with the f/1.0 lens. There is a manual focus and an auto focus version. I have used the AF310XLS and could take wedding films in poorly lit missions with good results. The Kodachrome was amazing that it could be used with so little light. J.S.
Be careful, as the XL/XL-S later version of the 310 (silver body ones) only reads 40/160 cartridges. The 310XL goes up to 250 which is more useful for playing around with 500T films specially being 1.0
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

MIKI-814 wrote:
Be careful, as the XL/XL-S later version of the 310 (silver body ones) only reads 40/160 cartridges. The 310XL goes up to 250 which is more useful for playing around with 500T films specially being 1.0
Thanks MIKI, I don't think in this particular situation it matters because the F-stop is going to be fully open the whole time, then the film is going to need some serious push processing...